1/09/08 A special day.

Prestwich_Blue said:
leopold said:
I was on my way up to Glasgow on that day. I'd had a stupidly early start as I had to be in the office there by 10am, so I'd driven to Piccadilly station, got the first train to Preston, where I had a short wait for the train up to Glasgow. During that wait, the WH Smith on the platform was setting out the papers and every single one of them had a photo of Robinho and Sulaiman Al-Fahim and headlines about how we'd swooped in and snatched Robinho from Chelsea's clutches. I was so busy reading one of the articles, I nearly missed my train!

I struggled to take it all in, really. It was about quarter to seven in the morning and I was still a bit groggy from the early start. Even when my son phoned me a couple of hours later, all excited, saying, "We've signed Robinho!!", it didn't really hit me. And when I got to the office, it was all everyone was talking about. It was all a bit surreal.
That must have been on the next day as the news about the takeover didn't break until just after 10am and we didn't sign Robinho until very late.
I just checked my calendar for then and yes, you're right, it was the day after. I know I'd have had an early night before getting up at 4am and I'd have been working at home, so wouldn't have heard any news or gossip from colleagues. Bloody typical, I always end up hearing about the fun the day after!

I was on a bus in Rhyl and my grandad phoned us up and said that weve been baught bysome arabs, me and my dad didnt belive him but when we got back to our caravan and saw it on SSN we knew it wasnt a wind up, and when we signed Robinho i stayed up late to watch deadline day with my dad, and couldnt belive it when we signed him, one of the most exciting nights of my life

mcfctomlad said:
I was on a bus in Rhyl and my grandad phoned us up and said that weve been baught bysome arabs, me and my dad didnt belive him but when we got back to our caravan and saw it on SSN we knew it wasnt a wind up, and when we signed Robinho i stayed up late to watch deadline day with my dad, and couldnt belive it when we signed him, one of the most exciting nights of my life
And this one time, in band camp..

;-)

I was working all day, didn't catch any of the sports news from the day. Stopped at the offie for some cans on the way home. Got in about 9pm, flicked on SSN to catch the end of deadline day and just sat there gob smacked.

Litterally felt like I had won the lottery<br /><br />-- Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:57 am --<br /><br />Litterally felt like I had won the lottery

Pigeonho said:
mcfctomlad said:
And this one time, in band camp..

;-)

haha pmsl

I wiped all the important project information off our office whiteboard and replaced it with 500 billion in numbers. Then just sat and giggled at it like some demented fool for the rest of the day, occasionally pointing at it when a rag fan came in.

Caveman said:
That Summer started off shit. We lost 8-1 to Boro, United won the Prem and CL, Sven was sacked and we brought in the Rag, Hughes, to manage us. I wasn't very happy with football related things to be honest. Then when coming back off holiday I had to go to hospital because I had an ear infection so bad that I had to be put on a drip for 48 hours due to my ear spitting puss out and the whole right side of my head swelling up. I was in hospital for the first game of the season against West Ham. Gutted!

Then on 28th August we re-signed Shaun Wright-Phillips. I was buzzing about that. Things were looking up. Then on a trip back to the hospital on 1st September I had the radio on and just as I was parking up I heard a little snippet on the radio (I wasn't even really paying attention to it, I couldn't hear out of my right ear as it was), I caught the words "Manchester City" "whirlwind" "Arab Sheikh".

Not realising that we'd actually been taken over I sat in the hospital for three hours before finding out. The drive home was funny, flicking through all the radio stations and hearing nowt, I was getting rather frustrated. When I got home it was unbelievable. Sky Sports News on and I was jumping around the living room like I'd won the Lottery! Glued to SSN all night as we signed Robinho. Fair enough he wasn't a very good player, if we signed someone of his quality now he'd just be a squad player but in 2008 that was like what us landing Messi would be like now.

I don't think I slept that night. Buzzing!

In my City supporting days we've never been really shit. Even when we were doing really shit-ly we had a really likeable and decent side. Weaver Weikens Morrison Horlock Goater Dickov, were all decent enough players and I always enjoyed going to watch City even if it was against Lincoln or Wrexham, even if Stockport were a division above us. So it's not like we've been really hard done to over the years. Yeah we went 35 years without winning a trophy, but Rochdale went 36 years playing in the fourth division year-after-year and still fans turned up to watch them - that's loyalty!

But the takeover was other planet sort of stuff. Beyond anyone's wildest dreams! The (almost) five years have been great. From finishing 10th and getting to the quarter-final of the UEFA Cup; to finishing 5th and getting to the semi-final of the FL Cup; to finishing 3rd, qualifying for the CL and winning the FA Cup; to winning the Premier League, qualifying for the CL as champions and getting to the semi-final of the FL Cup; and even last season finishing second, qualifying for the CL, beating United in Ferguson's last ever derby and getting to the FA Cup final (shit result, typical City has not left us! but a top day out, the trip home was a top laugh and is exactly why being a City fan is great!)...and all this in just the first five years. The first five years were always going to be the most modest as we built from being a bang average mid-table club. Imagine what the next five years will bring as we build from being a fairly good title challenging club...

The future's bright, the future's BLUE!
What a truly excellent post

I was sat in my front room with football manager and bluemoon on my laptop (before my joining on here when I just used to read what was posted) and couldn't believe it when it broke through then sat eagerly waiting for us to sign someone in typical city manner like Dean Ashton for £20 million..

Alas "WE'VE GOT ROBINHO!"

Always remember my mate's text about the sale, switched on SSN and spent the whole day thinking a combination of what the fuck and hang on this could be something big. Of course at that point you could never know quite what was going to happen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.