10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
People act like it's a crime to tell the truth here! How could anyone in their right mind say Grealish has been a success here? If we are going to go by that standard then Sterling is a god and Mahrez is an all time legend!

Let's just be honest with ourselves, let's assume Grealish was signed by the rags, the dippers or Chelsea and then goes on to replicate the form he has shown so far, would anyone here go crazy about his performance? Would anyone here call him a Success? How many of us here would have made fun of the rags or the dippers for splashing out 100m on Grealish?

Second scenario, Let's say we tried to sign Grealish and Villa told us he would cost 100m and we walk away and then Grealish stays at Villa and replicates the form he has shown so far, how many of us here would be happy that we walked away from the deal? How many of us would laugh at Villa for thinking we would have paid them 100m for Grealish? How many of us would feel like we dodged a bullet?

I get that Grealish is a City player and I really hope it works out but this delusion that some fans have about Grealish being a success is not how you support a footballer.

The same ones who would call Sancho a flop despite being the younger, less experienced player who has played fewer games in his first season in the pl are the same ones that would tell you Grealish is already a legend despite having a well below average season so far in a league he has been in for about 5 years now. That's just hypocrisy!
Not being allowed to play his own game. Trying to be too much of team player. We need the arrogant, with attitude Jack back. We are coaching all his best traits out of him. Let him be himself, then you will see the player we bought.

Lets remember that it takes the first season when you arrive to adjust to Pep's style and what he wants from a new signing

If for example he had gone to say, the rags or dippers, he probably may have had a more exciting start - because there tactics are either

a) non-existent (rags) so he would have freedom to roam where he liked or
B) kick and rush football (dippers)

Grealish is learning to adjust his talent so it works in tandem with Pep's methods - it will take this season for that to bed in properly

amen! leroy and bernardo were terrible in their first season with pep!

Not being allowed to play his own game. Trying to be too much of team player. We need the arrogant, with attitude Jack back. We are coaching all his best traits out of him. Let him be himself, then you will see the player we bought.

The discipline has to come before the genius otherwise it's scattergun which is not as effective. That's why it takes players a year or so to settle into the system. Once the player has acquired that discipline, only then can he be set free. My view is that Sane, for example, never acquired that discipline.

amen! leroy and bernardo were terrible in their first season with pep!

Not comparable, Sane was 20 years old with 1 full season of 1st team football under his belt on top of coming to a new league and Bernie just couldn't dislodge a prime Sterling.

Grealish is 26 and from this league. The only adapting he needs to do is to Peps high press possession football.

Not comparable, Sane was 20 years old with 1 full season of 1st team football under his belt on top of coming to a new league and Bernie just couldn't dislodge a prime Sterling.

Grealish is 26 and from this league. The only adapting he needs to do is to Peps high press possession football.
At Villa he didn't face teams that parked the bus, he also didn't play every 3 days , there's enough to adapt to.

Last edited:
It feels strange to defend Grealish by saying he'll improve with time once he gets used to Pep's system because I actually think he's been playing really well already, but I do think he needs to be moved centrally and Foden back out wide for things to really unlock. Grealish is a creative, a bit of a maverick, a ball-carrier - Pep's ideas for wingers do go against his natural instincts and I'd like to see him moved towards the middle so he can start to influence the entire game rather than just our attacking moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.