10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is no point in having inverted wingers high and out wide.

I suspect you've seen this clip before. The last thirty seconds are the most telling.

Keeping your wingers (inverted or otherwise) high and wide has been a staple of the world's most successful manager since he started coaching because it provides space to those in the inside channels and those in the middle.

There's a reason why people claimed Grealish wouldn't have as much freedom under Guardiola as he did for Villa. I think it will take him some time to get used to it but he'll eventually be a better player for it.

Hopefully this true. I think he'd thrive in a more central role.

this is what I have been saying always. I have no idea why pep is still asking Jack to play like a sterling out wide hugging the touchline.

I suspect you've seen this clip before. The last thirty seconds are the most telling.

Keeping your wingers (inverted or otherwise) high and wide has been a staple of the world's most successful manager since he started coaching because it provides space to those in the inside channels and those in the middle.

There's a reason why people claimed Grealish wouldn't have as much freedom under Guardiola as he did for Villa. I think it will take him some time to get used to it but he'll eventually be a better player for it.

i watched that. it makes sense if your winger has pace and also goals from out wide, Jack has none of that so why put him there? if pep wants to play like in barca then its better of putting sterling atleast he has pace

Think people also forget that very few players come in to Peps style and methods and grasp it straight away. Didnt Bernie struggle, Sane, Mahrez, Sterling all took a while to settle in and learn how to play like Pep expects. By no means has been bad, but i think we will see a lot more to come.

i watched that. it makes sense if your winger has pace and also goals from out wide, Jack has none of that so why put him there? if pep wants to play like in barca then its better of putting sterling atleast he has pace

Its not the pace that's really important, its beating a player.

Peps management is all about creating numerical advantages, whether that's having a ball playing keeper who forces the opposition to press him, thus taking an outfield player put of the game, or a ball carrying centre back getting past the first line of defence, or a winger beating someone out wide.

The whole strategy is founded on the idea that if you take a defender out of the game then someone is free further up the pitch.

So your winger beats the fullback and runs at the CB, that means there's only 2 free defenders left and if you get 3 men in the box someone has a tap in.

So Grealish doesn't have the pace of Henry, or Sané but he has the ability to beat a player, run at the next one and then play the pass to the open man.

That's why Foden and Grealish and Bernardo have all played as wingers for us.

Sterlings success under Pep is based on the same thing except he beats players without the ball. Hes incredibly good at losing markers, drifting into space and being that unmarked man at the end of the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.