10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
He created two great chances for Cancelo and Mahrez with good through balls who if they would have finished would have given him the two assists that everyone is craving for.

They score them two created chances, he gets 2 assists to his name and all of a sudden he’s back to being a £100m player.

He creates enough chances in a striker less team. I really don’t know what everyone is expecting.
I think they said on the radio on the way home, 15 games played, 2 goals & 3 assists

He created two great chances for Cancelo and Mahrez with good through balls who if they would have finished would have given him the two assists that everyone is craving for.

They score them two created chances, he gets 2 assists to his name and all of a sudden he’s back to being a £100m player.

He creates enough chances in a striker less team. I really don’t know what everyone is expecting.
The cancelo one was as simple as they come, he's not created that, cancelo's run has created that, I'd expect every single player on the pitch to play that ball. I've yet to see any highlights and honestly don't have any recollection of the mahrez one.

Edit, having now seen the highlights I think I know which mahrez chance you're talking about, again it was a very basic ball, I saw mahrez himself play about 4 better balls tonight off the top of my head that *could* have lead to an assist, no mention of those though because they're nothing spectacular, just a standard ball you'd expect any player in that position to play and doesn't hold much weight when evaluating his overall contribution to the game.

As for saying 2 assists tonight turns him into a £100 million player, maybe for the media and the social media lot who just look at the score and see the 2 minute highlights but I'm basing my view on his overall game and contribution to the side over the course of the game and its currently nowhere near enough.

Last edited:
Genuine question..where did Grealish play for Villa...in what position predominantly?
Up until the past couple of seasons he was probably most easily described as a CAM. Villa having no-one to play on the left meant he was moved to a nominally left-wing role, but he wasn't really playing as a traditional winger. Certainly not expected to constantly hold the width like he is at City.

Had some responsibilities to be on the left when the team was facing a sustained attack, for team shape and defensive duties. But had a lot of freedom to roam. Would pop up on either flank regularly (the left more than the right) but would also often be fairly central, dropping deep to pick up the ball and drive or pass forward, or else he'd be further forward making stuff happen on/around the edge of the box.

The time he spent on the left was characterised by his link-ups with an overlapping full-back and runners through the middle, so he'd be mostly cutting into the inside left channel and having passing options on either side.

When he's asked about his best position he mostly talks about doing whatever's required of him and just being happy to play. His adaptability is a strength and a weakness. He can do a job for us on the left wing, and probably on the right too. His showing as a false 9 against Liverpool wasn't great, but that's a hard first match to do it and after a bit of practice he might be an option there. I suspect he sees himself as an 8 or a 10 though.

Last edited:

Maybe less of these could haves and more of actually dids.

It’s painstakingly obvious he’s not a winger and I hope the only reason why he’s stuck out wide and being in front of his markers is because he’s being instructed to and it’s part of his bedding in plan.

But when is he ever going to beat his man with a ball-left-run-right, ball-right-run-left, a nutmeg or a clever knee lift to get into the box. He’s not meant to bring in crosses. Our full backs can do that. Mendy can do that, Sagna Clichy can do that.

Sane and Foden and SWP and Navas would do a more effective job at bringing the ball in.

Grealish should be more central. Maybe take that Yaya role who’s as pacy as Grealish.

These ‘could haves’ with Grealish is the same stick many are beating Sterling with. The only difference is for Grealish its a glass half full, for Sterling its a glass half empty.

Grealish may just turn out good, but at the moment nothing spectacular other than what could have beens.

Cheers for
you don't seem to understand how a football team works. let me answer your questions

1) Since you concede he is a good player so whey is he not playing great? its because pep currently has no idea where to play Jack to get the best out of him. Pep himself conceded this point in a press conference. So this is not Jack's fault is it?

2) Since you say he signed for 100 mil? did you think Jack forced to buy him 100 mil? If not why don't ask the management that why they decided to pay 100mil? again this is not Jack's fault is it?

Besides all these point there are numerous analysis proving that Jack is playing more than good for now. If after all this you don't understand its probably because you don't want to understand and want to go about into some fantasy world, where you thought that when to buy someone in 100 mil in FIFA and drop them into the team you get an instant 10G/15A after 10 games. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you need to come back into reality.
The cancelo one was as simple as they come, he's not created that, cancelo's run has created that, I'd expect every single player on the pitch to play that ball. I've yet to see any highlights and honestly don't have any recollection of the mahrez one.

As for saying 2 assists tonight turns him into a £100 million player, maybe for the media and the social media lot who just look at the score and see the 2 minute highlights but I'm basing my view on his overall game and contribution to the side over the course of the game and its currently nowhere near enough.
Great post

The big problem we have with these inverted wingers is they can't beat the FB on the outside, its not just Grealish. Sterling on the left, Mahrez on the right, these 3 are so predictable, so one footed its unreal. The FB had Jack in his pocket tonight, sad to say.

Bobbins tonight!

Think it’s time to stop playing him as a left forward, he does almost nothing effective. Let’s see what he can do in midfield and get Foden back on the left, he’s much better than Grealish there. Grealish should get a chance in midfield.

Bobbins tonight!

Think it’s time to stop playing him as a left forward, he does almost nothing effective. Let’s see what he can do in midfield and get Foden back on the left, he’s much better than Grealish there. Grealish should get a chance in midfield.
I agree, my one doubt is if he has the work rate to get back into defence when we get countered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.