10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of it has anything to do with The who, what, where or when of ME and everything to do with what Grealish has done since his arrival.

You can personalize this until you’re blue in the face, but if that’s your route, then tell me why I should listen to anything you say.

I came on here for a conversation about where Grealish finds himself, at present, in the team (or not, as the case may be).

I think he has underwhelmed. I have given caveats, such as new to the system, may be being played out of preferred position, etc, etc, etc, but it boils down to doing your job. IF his job, per Pep, is being done, he will keep getting selected and Pep will laud him. If that has happened, I haven’t seen or heard it.

Is Grealish a good player? Of course!

Is he “worthy” of the title “the most expensive player in British football”? I think we were mugged by a transfer clause.

I hope against hope he develops into a world beater. But, I can ONLY hope, though, at the moment, because he hasn’t shown one iota of living up to the £100M hype…even though he didn’t create it.
So the price is your main issue? Cool.

Well, if Coley and Crouchy said it while doing England punditry, then bank it! Haha!

Fwiw, Phil Foden is England’s most technically gifted player atm. Not even a contest.

However, Grealish is definitely a baller, as was Sané before him. I hope he doesn’t go the same eventual route, but I’d take a few of Sané’s goals and contributions from him along the way.

What Jack does from here us up to him. He is now a cog in a well oiled machine, not the machine that kept the Villa cogs turning.

If he can show the wherewithal and desire to become better in that system, then he can write his own future. But, it’s not working for him atm, and others (at a world class club) are doing better.

Let’s not forget, though, this current crop of players is keeping Sterling & Mahrez on the bench, too, so it’s no great shame. He just has to show his ability when he’s on the pitch and given the chance. So far, it’s all been a bit one dimensional, imho.
Grealish is a better dribbler than Foden.

If he's in the side, he's expected to perform regardless of how long he's been here and right now, the side is better without him in it. It's upto Grealish to adapt and change that.

You can Support him and still offer opinions that might be critical of his current performances, it's not one or the other. Simply saying he will be better in 12 months doesn't excuse what he does right now, this is afterall a player performance thread, a place to comment on current performances not a predict the future thread. We all expect much more from him 12 months down the line but that's pretty much irrelevant to the purpose of this entire subforum.
There is no need to excuse what he is doing now because he has made a decent start.
The purpose of the forum is to discuss player performances, true, but my point is that the condemnation he is receiving in some quarters is very premature and we have a deep history of players being condemned who then go on to be reevaluated as exceptional. I think it would be fair to describe you as one of the more critical posters on the forum and your recent criticism of Rodri is now being shown to have been premature, as just one example. I only ask for nuance and anyone simply saying that Jack brings or has brought nothing, is, IMO, talking from their jacksie.

I honestly don't understand why people are casting their judgements on Grealish this early on. Not to sound too cocky, but playing under Dean Smith is nothing like playing under Guardiola. Also, look at the likes of Bernardo, Sané and Mahrez, none of those hit the ground running in their first seasons...

None of it has anything to do with The who, what, where or when of ME and everything to do with what Grealish has done since his arrival.

You can personalize this until you’re blue in the face, but if that’s your route, then tell me why I should listen to anything you say.

I came on here for a conversation about where Grealish finds himself, at present, in the team (or not, as the case may be).

I think he has underwhelmed. I have given caveats, such as new to the system, may be being played out of preferred position, etc, etc, etc, but it boils down to doing your job. IF his job, per Pep, is being done, he will keep getting selected and Pep will laud him. If that has happened, I haven’t seen or heard it.

Is Grealish a good player? Of course!

Is he “worthy” of the title “the most expensive player in British football”? I think we were mugged by a transfer clause.

I hope against hope he develops into a world beater. But, I can ONLY hope, though, at the moment, because he hasn’t shown one iota of living up to the £100M hype…even though he didn’t create it.
Perfectly put...and as you have said on a few occasions its up to Jack now

There is no need to excuse what he is doing now because he has made a decent start.
The purpose of the forum is to discuss player performances, true, but my point is that the condemnation he is receiving in some quarters is very premature and we have a deep history of players being condemned who then go on to be reevaluated as exceptional. I think it would be fair to describe you as one of the more critical posters on the forum and your recent criticism of Rodri is now being shown to have been premature, as just one example. I only ask for nuance and anyone simply saying that Jack brings or has brought nothing, is, IMO, talking from their jacksie.
The thing is, I don't see any condemnation bar perhaps one or two posts which are obviously hyperbolic and over the top. most criticism I'm seeing on here is on his first 3 months only with virtually nobody writing off his 6 years here based on his start. It's an assessment of his start not a definitive evaluation of his entire career here. If you think he's had a decent start fine, I'd disagree with that but that is irrelevant to the point I'm making. my issue is, criticism, whether you agree with it or not, is being perceived as some kind of final judgement when that's just not the case for the overwhelming majority of it. You can be critical without declaring his entire career a write off, you can also be critical, have that player eventually come good (as we expect with Grealish) and not be wrong to criticise in that moment just because that no longer applies.

I don't really see what my post history has to do with anything here whatsoever because again you're linking any criticism to mean they're being written off entirely which is completely wrong. But seeing as you have brought it up, I'd reject the claim I'm more critical than most posters. I'm backing Ederson every single week from the idiots that believe he can't save anything, I've always backed gundogan when many didn't, I gave mahrez the credit he eventually deserved after a poor first season (which I did criticise) when most were still slating him at every opportunity and using ridiculous nicknames, I backed Bernardo heavily in the summer going as far as to say we won't win anything without him such is his importance when the more popular opinion on here was it was time for us to take a pitiful £40million and get rid after a perceived poor season, I backed Stones when people were begging to give him away, I've never doubted cancelos worth, I'm backing jesus every single week when he was getting slated for not scoring. And they're just the more noticeable players who have had a hefty amount of criticism, going through that I've actually backed the majority of the higher profile scapegoats. I even very obviously wrongly gave more slack than most to a certain unnamed left back. Not pretending I've never been critical, I've criticised plenty, but I wouldn't say I'm overly ctritical at all. you are correct I was heavily critical of Rodri last season and without derailing the thread i stand by everything I said at the time, there's been a drastic improvement this season and I've praised him for it and long may it continue.

Back on topic, I've criticised Grealish so far, I don't believe he's offering anywhere near enough to get into the side. I think foden is better in every aspect on the left and the left is the only position I see him being capable of playing right now. I've seen little so far to suggest he can play centrally, something he's never done in his career at the age of 26 and certainly nothing to suggest he can oust 2 from Bernardo gundogan and kdb to get a game there.

All of that is an opinion based on right NOW, I can't stress enough that's not a prediction of his entire city career. some, all or perhaps none of that may change over time, and although we all of course hope and expect it to, I'm making no judgements on his future whatsoever by saying he's currently not deserving of a starting spot.

The thing is, I don't see any condemnation bar perhaps one or two posts which are obviously hyperbolic and over the top. most criticism I'm seeing on here is on his first 3 months only with virtually nobody writing off his 6 years here based on his start. It's an assessment of his start not a definitive evaluation of his entire career here. If you think he's had a decent start fine, I'd disagree with that but that is irrelevant to the point I'm making. my issue is, criticism, whether you agree with it or not, is being perceived as some kind of final judgement when that's just not the case for the overwhelming majority of it. You can be critical without declaring his entire career a write off, you can also be critical, have that player eventually come good (as we expect with Grealish) and not be wrong to criticise in that moment just because that no longer applies.

I don't really see what my post history has to do with anything here whatsoever because again you're linking any criticism to mean they're being written off entirely which is completely wrong. But seeing as you have brought it up, I'd reject the claim I'm more critical than most posters. I'm backing Ederson every single week from the idiots that believe he can't save anything, I've always backed gundogan when many didn't, I gave mahrez the credit he eventually deserved after a poor first season (which I did criticise) when most were still slating him at every opportunity and using ridiculous nicknames, I backed Bernardo heavily in the summer going as far as to say we won't win anything without him such is his importance when the more popular opinion on here was it was time for us to take a pitiful £40million and get rid after a perceived poor season, I backed Stones when people were begging to give him away, I've never doubted cancelos worth, I'm backing jesus every single week when he was getting slated for not scoring. And they're just the more noticeable players who have had a hefty amount of criticism, going through that I've actually backed the majority of the higher profile scapegoats. I even very obviously wrongly gave more slack than most to a certain unnamed left back. Not pretending I've never been critical, I've criticised plenty, but I wouldn't say I'm overly ctritical at all. you are correct I was heavily critical of Rodri last season and without derailing the thread i stand by everything I said at the time, there's been a drastic improvement this season and I've praised him for it and long may it continue.

Back on topic, I've criticised Grealish so far, I don't believe he's offering anywhere near enough to get into the side. I think foden is better in every aspect on the left and the left is the only position I see him being capable of playing right now. I've seen little so far to suggest he can play centrally, something he's never done in his career at the age of 26 and certainly nothing to suggest he can oust 2 from Bernardo gundogan and kdb to get a game there.

All of that is an opinion based on right NOW, I can't stress enough that's not a prediction of his entire city career. some, all or perhaps none of that may change over time, and although we all of course hope and expect it to, I'm making no judgements on his future whatsoever by saying he's currently not deserving of a starting spot.
And these points are fair, though subjective. My opinion is that he has made a decent start - he has done some things well and some things can be improved upon, and that is typical of most new players that have been on this journey with us. Comments like he is shit or he offers nothing are both inaccurate and insulting and will also be proven wrong, IMO.

I think that Grealish certainly did play in the middle before.

Didn't Grealish play central attacking midfielder role in 4-2-3-1 system in England vs Czech Republic game? Of course he roamed to the left during the game. But it is the same as Mason Mount who also played as attacking midfielder role in England 4-2-3-1 system as Southgate's tactic to create a strong side on the left with overloads.

And Grealish also played central attacking midfielder role in his last game at villa last season against Chelsea under 4-2-3-1 system - at least in name.

Of course it is very different from City's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.