10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
well there is a difference between talent and performance. for sure gundo has performed better, but he had better coaches, better teams and other things to help him. do you think if you put gundo in the villa team he had the talent to carry it like Jack did form the championship and the relegation fight with it talent alone? no chance villa will always take Jack over Gundo because he has better individual talent compared to Gundogan
Firstly, you’re giving Grealish too much credit for Villa, and secondly, you are confusing and conflating issues.

Grealish could be almost anyone, short of Messi, and he would find himself needing to shoehorn his talent into Pep’s system. Only Messi got a free pass, because he always delivered!

If you watched the TOTAL FOOTBALL CLINIC at The Swamp yesterday, you would have seen we had only one player giving the ball away with any regularity…Cancelo…but he got away with it because his remit was to get down the line & beat a player to get in a cross, or come inside and make the pass. He did that with aplomb most of the game and assisted on both goals.

So, if your remit is being almost completely fulfilled, you get a partial pass from Pep, with the caveat we can’t afford for you to lose it when we are out of shape, and you have no cover in behind.

Accordingly, NONE OF US KNOW what Pep’s remit to Jack has been, but he has tried hard to get him bedded in ASAP. Personally, I think that REGARDLESS of what his remit has been, he has not fulfilled it AS SATISFACTORILY AS FANS WOULD HAVE HOPED, because, like Sterling, he has settled into one move when coming in off the left, and it’s being nullified by bang average defenders who know he doesn’t have the pace or left peg to beat them down the outside.

Are there other strings to his bow? I hope so, because I find it all very one dimensional…AT THE MOMENT!

I hope against hope there’s much more to come. Clearly, Pep saw something in him that was worth splashing the cash. Let’s hope we discover it soon.

Grealish is OBVIOUSLY a quality player, but so is everyone with a squad number at City. That’s the basics required to get one. From there, it’s ALL about “What have you done for me lately?” Jack’s answer to date has to be “Not much, Boss!”

depends on what you call contribution. if you think goals and assists sure, but overall performance the contribution has not been bad at all, for the start of his life here. so many of our signings have looked worse than Jack when starting life here
Cole Palmer has better stats, so of course I realize it’s not all about stats.

That agreed, I’m struggling to see what he has brought to the team. What unique or different talent does he have that we are waiting for him to unleash?

no doubt if anyone cared to watch them in other teams. Gundo was never as talented as Jack when he was at his age. now he has more experience learning form pep for a long time so he looks much better in our system. but I have to say gundo is an incredible professional and has made full use of the potential he has. if Jack has that same professionalism and learns form pep no doubt he has a higher ceiling than Gundo.
Gundo was scoring in CL Finals BEFORE he was Jack’s age!

Last edited:
I guess chigago is proving the old adage that playing football doesn't mean you know about it even if you write a lot of words.
Grealish is quality and will fit his team like a glove over the next 12 months when much like other players who were written off, will make some of this thread look as ridiculous as Gundos, Cancelo, Rodris and, well you get the picture..

I guess chigago is proving the old adage that playing football doesn't mean you know about it even if you write a lot of words.
Grealish is quality and will fit his team like a glove over the next 12 months when much like other players who were written off, will make some of this thread look as ridiculous as Gundos, Cancelo, Rodris and, well you get the picture..
Phil,

You said a whole lot of nothing, with nothing to back it up. That seems par for the course on here, so you’re amongst friends. I hope that helps make you feel better.

I’ll rest on my facts & observations based on 50 years of experience watching football and 25 years of playing it.

Feel free to critique anything I actually SAID, as opposed to a personal attack, if you’ve anything to add.

You do you.

Phil,

You said a whole lot of nothing, with nothing to back it up. That seems par for the course on here, so you’re amongst friends. I hope that helps make you feel better.

I’ll rest on my observations based on 50 years of experience watching football and 25 years of playing it.

Feel free to critique anything I actually SAID, as opposed to a personal attack, if you’ve anything to add.

You do you.
What do you want me to back up? You played football at a semi decent level 40 years ago and think that makes you an expert on a top quality professional player who would walk into most sides in Europe.
You can can me Pablo.

Firstly, you’re giving Grealish too much credit for Villa, and secondly, you are confusing and conflating issues.

Grealish could be almost anyone, short of Messi, and he would find himself needing to shoehorn his talent into Pep’s system. Only Messi got a free pass, because he always delivered!

If you watched the TOTAL FOOTBALL CLINIC at The Swamp yesterday, you would have seen we had only one player giving the ball away with any regularity…Cancelo…but he got away with it because his remit was to get down the line & beat a player to get in a cross, or come inside and make the pass. He did that with aplomb most of the game and assisted on both goals.

So, if your remit is being almost completely fulfilled, you get a partial pass from Pep, with the caveat we can’t afford for you to lose it when we are out of shape, and you have no cover in behind.

Accordingly, NONE OF US KNOW what Pep’s remit to Jack has been, but he has tried hard to get him bedded in ASAP. Personally, I think that REGARDLESS of what his remit has been, he has not fulfilled it AS SATISFACTORILY AS FANS WOULD HAVE HOPED, because, like Sterling, he has settled into one move when coming in off the left, and it’s being nullified by bang average defenders who know he doesn’t have the pace or left peg to beat them down the outside.

Are there other strings to his bow? I hope so, because I find it all very one dimensional…AT THE MOMENT!

I hope against hope there’s much more to come. Clearly, Pep saw something in him that was worth splashing the cash. Let’s hope we discover it soon.

Grealish is OBVIOUSLY a quality player, but so is everyone with a squad number at City. That’s the basics required to get one. From there, it’s ALL about “What have you done for me lately?” Jack’s answer to date has to be “Not much, Boss!”
Great points made CB

What do you want me to back up? You played football at a semi decent level 40 years ago and think that makes you an expert on a top quality professional player who would walk into most sides in Europe.
You can can me Pablo.
None of it has anything to do with The who, what, where or when of ME and everything to do with what Grealish has done since his arrival.

You can personalize this until you’re blue in the face, but if that’s your route, then tell me why I should listen to anything you say.

I came on here for a conversation about where Grealish finds himself, at present, in the team (or not, as the case may be).

I think he has underwhelmed. I have given caveats, such as new to the system, may be being played out of preferred position, etc, etc, etc, but it boils down to doing your job. IF his job, per Pep, is being done, he will keep getting selected and Pep will laud him. If that has happened, I haven’t seen or heard it.

Is Grealish a good player? Of course!

Is he “worthy” of the title “the most expensive player in British football”? I think we were mugged by a transfer clause.

I hope against hope he develops into a world beater. But, I can ONLY hope, though, at the moment, because he hasn’t shown one iota of living up to the £100M hype…even though he didn’t create it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.