10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have similar case with Bernardo - he used to play as a RW in Monaco - but at City he started to shine as a RCM..

During Pellegrini / Mancini periods, both David Silva and Kev played as a wingers or number 10, never had to play deeper, they had Toure / Barry / Fernandinho / Fernando for that job, it was a different system and different philosophy. Even Milner couldn't get the minutes as a midfielder if you remember, only under Klopp he started to play deeper more frequently.

But under Pep both David Silva and Debruyne started to play as "eights" and deeper.

Same applies to Jack, he isn't a player who can show his full potential as a winger in Pep`s system, but as a midfielder he will be one our best players for sure..

In an ideal world, after 2-3 years or even sooner :) - we have Rodri as a DM, Bernardo as RCM and Jack as a LCM. This can be modern "Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta" type of midfield (but in a new way, not exact copy-paste of Barcelona) and I'm looking forward to that with great expectations.

So, judging Grealish while he is playing anything except LCM is like judging Bernardo when he isn't playing his favorite RCM position. Yesterday if someone watched Bernardo for the first time, "That Idiot" would have thought that this player can be easily offloaded, but is that true or real ? Nope, Bernardo is the last one you can think about to sell and that's not my opinion, that's how Pep rated him 2-3 weeks ago.
Very good points but I’d be amazed if Foden isn’t playing as an 8 for us in 2 years time and no disrespect to Grealish I think Foden could reach a level none of our players have ever reached. So it’s not like the number 8 spot is suddenly going to become as easy place to grab in this side anytime soon.

Bernardo as Xavi of course, if you see he has that special bond with Rodri :)

Grealish is more like iniesta style, better near to the opponent’s box

Bernardo is best near to our box, Xavi type box-to-box cornerstone of the team

I have to disagree I’m afraid. I think Bernardo is better higher up the pitch. Although I value his ability so highly he could excel in almost any position on the pitch!

We are not fucking Villa, third-tier shitty team from Championship - that’s the issue :D

This is City, best team with the best manager, playing with the most innovative philosophy of football
Thats not the issue at all. The issue is you are forming conclusions based on little or no evidence. We have a stronger midfield than Villa and Grealish is unlikely to be invited to join it at any stage soon. I am not going to criticise him too much as it always takes a little time to adjust to Pep and his methods but he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest the left side of midfield is his rightful position.

Thats not the issue at all. The issue is you are forming conclusions based on little or no evidence. We have a stronger midfield than Villa and Grealish is unlikely to be invited to join it at any stage soon. I am not going to criticise him too much as it always takes a little time to adjust to Pep and his methods but he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest the left side of midfield is his rightful position.

Strong midfield consists of Rodri-Bernardo, Gundogan who is 32 soon, KDB who gets injuries once or twice per year and missies like 2/4 of the season and Fernandinho who will probably retire at the end of this season..

So, you definitely need some players there and that's where Grealish will play.

Very good points but I’d be amazed if Foden isn’t playing as an 8 for us in 2 years time and no disrespect to Grealish I think Foden could reach a level none of our players have ever reached. So it’s not like the number 8 spot is suddenly going to become as easy place to grab in this side anytime soon.

Foden has already established himself as one of the great wingers of world football. Even in national team he plays as a winger, well.. as a RW but still he isn't playing midfield role..

And as this winger position is more shiny and more likely to win you BallonDor, I don't see Foden - willing to swap his current position to midfield role :D

But he can be great everywhere except DM, all those 5 positions suit him perfectly..

Foden has already established himself as one of the great wingers of world football. Even in national team he plays as a winger, well.. as a RW but still he isn't playing midfield role..

And as this winger position is more shiny and more likely to win you BallonDor, I don't see Foden - willing to swap his current position to midfield role :D

But he can be great everywhere except DM, all those 5 positions suit him perfectly..
He'll play where the manager wants him to play, end of

Strong midfield consists of Rodri-Bernardo, Gundogan who is 32 soon, KDB who gets injuries once or twice per year and missies like 2/4 of the season and Fernandinho who will probably retire at the end of this season..

So, you definitely need some players there and that's where Grealish will play.
according to your 'analysis'.

The thing you must know though, as a city fan, is that Foden’s played almost all his youth as a central midfielder. Pep’s developed him higher and wider up the pitch but he’s not your classic winger.

I personally think it’s inevitable that Foden, in 10 years time, will have played most of his senior career as a central midfielder. He’s going to be the number one playmaker in our side and he’s going to central to everything we do. He’s way more likely to play in central midfield than Grealish (although I can see Jack occasionally dropping deeper and playing this role when required for squad rotation).

And what does ballon d’ors have to do with anything Phil Foden or Man City want to do?!

Time will tell mate but I reckon he knows it’s his best position. He always wants the ball and can go on to run games from there. Recent times he’s been in that position he’s showed maturity that he lacked in the past by knowing when to play simple and just keep possession. Boregate did actually play him there a couple of times recently and Phil got rave reviews.

It may not matter so much for us but it would be a travesty if he’s stuck out wide for England in major tournaments in his pomp whilst the great players of foreign teams are allowed to dominate possession. Phil hoping the latest Henderson can get him the ball eventually rather than him dictating and playing the killer pass to one of the many speedy wide men England will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.