10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna get pelters for this as I'm not a jack fan but going off how he has played so far and his role in the team, does anyone else think he's Samir nasri 2.0

It was the same goal from different angles for the first minute
I wasn’t really counting the 20 seconds of fingers in ears intro as highlights :)

Leipzig > Arsenal > Leipzig > England > England

Granted there are a couple of touches in there from other positions. Either way my point, secondary to him needing time, was that highlights don’t tell the full story.

Interestingly though, those highlights lend credence to the assertion that Jack functions more effectively on the counter, with space, as a defence is on the back foot. Matches like last night with very little space in front of an organised low block aren't where he’ll make an instant impact.

I wasn’t really counting the 20 seconds of fingers in ears intro as highlights :)

Leipzig > Arsenal > Leipzig > England > England

Granted there are a couple of touches in there from other positions. Either way my point, secondary to him needing time, was that highlights don’t tell the full story.

Interestingly though, those highlights lend credence to the assertion that Jack functions more effectively on the counter, with space, as a defence is on the back foot. Matches like last night with very little space in front of an organised low block aren't where he’ll make an instant impact.
I agree with that. It is causing a case of deja vu for me as Mahrez went through exactly the same on the opposite flank after his move from Leicester where he was used to having far more space. He obviously improved to become a valuable member of the team.

He’s an easy target for the boo boys that’s for sure.
Time will tell on how much of a success he will be but for some reason he isn’t being afforded that time by many on here.
Most just see a huge price tag and expect instantaneous game changing brilliance when the reality is Pep is moulding him into the player he needs to be for the benefit of the team and not the player the fans think he needs to be.
I don’t think anybody should underestimate how difficult it is to play in our side, the amount of information each player has in their heads from the coaching staff would make most players heads explode so coming from a team where he was likely told to just go out and do his thing to being restricted and told to follow instructions to the letter will take some getting use to.
I hope he’s given the time and leeway to get it right but opinions have already formed and one thing this place is known for is a lack of changing of minds.
His performance last night certainly doesn’t warrant a 10 page jump of mainly criticism when there were half a dozen players who were below par.

Very different in that Sane was coming back from a year out with a horrific injury and then expected to suddenly be their new Robben on the right wing. Fully match sharp this season and back on the left he looks the amazing player he always could be again. I sympathise with Jack that stick out on the left isn’t helping him. However, the problem he has is winning a number 8 position at this club is tough and Foden will eventually move into that position and go another level.
Agree that wide left isn’t his best position but he’s not wrestling a central role off Foden, KDB or Bernado. Whatever the price tag of Grealish, nobody in world football is taking a spot off them.

I'm gonna get pelters for this as I'm not a jack fan but going off how he has played so far and his role in the team, does anyone else think he's Samir nasri 2.0
I wish he was Samir Nasri. Seriosly mate, what's wrong with Nasri? He was a top baller and even more what Pep appreciates, he was the recycler of the ball, the same class like Merlin, Gundo and Bernardo. As long as Pep believes in Jack, I believe in Jack.

We have similar case with Bernardo - he used to play as a RW in Monaco - but at City he started to shine as a RCM..

During Pellegrini / Mancini periods, both David Silva and Kev played as a wingers or number 10, never had to play deeper, they had Toure / Barry / Fernandinho / Fernando for that job, it was a different system and different philosophy. Even Milner couldn't get the minutes as a midfielder if you remember, only under Klopp he started to play deeper more frequently.

But under Pep both David Silva and Debruyne started to play as "eights" and deeper.

Same applies to Jack, he isn't a player who can show his full potential as a winger in Pep`s system, but as a midfielder he will be one our best players for sure..

In an ideal world, after 2-3 years or even sooner :) - we have Rodri as a DM, Bernardo as RCM and Jack as a LCM. This can be modern "Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta" type of midfield (but in a new way, not exact copy-paste of Barcelona) and I'm looking forward to that with great expectations.

So, judging Grealish while he is playing anything except LCM is like judging Bernardo when he isn't playing his favorite RCM position. Yesterday if someone watched Bernardo for the first time, "That Idiot" would have thought that this player can be easily offloaded, but is that true or real ? Nope, Bernardo is the last one you can think about to sell and that's not my opinion, that's how Pep rated him 2-3 weeks ago.

Yes but you’re comparing playing Grealish wide left(his position his entire career to date) to Ederson playing outfield or Rodri at right wing.

Grealish is not out of position. You might think he’s better suited elsewhere but that seems to be based on Bernardo or David Silva. But there’s been zero to suggest this is the plan. Pep hasn’t once given him a minute in central midfield. He did it day one with D Silva & De Bruyne. I remember going to WBA is the league cup, watching Bernardo playing centrally.
We have seen no signs of Pep wanting Grealish to transition into a ‘eight’.

For you to be suggesting we’re not seeing the best of Grealish because he’s not playing where you think he should play is your opinion.

But to suggest we’re not seeing the best of Grealish because he’s being played in an unnatural position and comparing it to Rodri playing right wing is just plain wrong.

Gundogan is 32 but i’d expect Foden to start getting regular minutes in his best position as we’re already seeing him play there now and then. The 2-3 years you suggest it will take to see the best of Grealish in the position you want him to play will means he’s 29 and we’ll already be looking for his successor.

I think this is the issue fans have with Grealish, he’s not young, 26 years old, he’s experienced in the league, he’s trained and played with a good chunk of our players internationally and he’s playing in his preferred position.
He’s not really producing, his goals have come in games where we’ve scored 5/6/7 goals. He’s also brought unnecessary off field issues with him.

No one is slagging him off, or booing him in the stadium, quite the opposite, but people are entitled to expect more. Every minute he plays is minutes away from Sterling, Mahrez or Jesus who are all performing much better than he is.

Last edited:
Time will tell on how much of a success he will be but for some reason he isn’t being afforded that time by many on here.
Most just see a huge price tag and expect instantaneous game changing brilliance when the reality is Pep is moulding him into the player he needs to be for the benefit of the team and not the player the fans think he needs to be.
I don’t think anybody should underestimate how difficult it is to play in our side, the amount of information each player has in their heads from the coaching staff would make most players heads explode so coming from a team where he was likely told to just go out and do his thing to being restricted and told to follow instructions to the letter will take some getting use to.
I hope he’s given the time and leeway to get it right but opinions have already formed and one thing this place is known for is a lack of changing of minds.
His performance last night certainly doesn’t warrant a 10 page jump of mainly criticism when there were half a dozen players who were below par.
So, as usual you state the obvious while lacking introspection.
Are you saying you haven't formed an opinion about him already??
Really?
What's true for boo boys is also true for fan boys surely.
The fact you set up false arguments to rile against is a feature of your posts.
Most doubters are raising legitimate questions. Not many are questioning his fee, just his impact and role so far. Nearly everyone says they hope he will improve, even the 'boo boys'.

Whilst his personal contributions don’t look great at the moment (goals and assists) it feels like he plays an important team role on the left as he attracts 2-3 players to cover him leaving a lot more space for whoever is playing on the right when the play gets switched. He’s learning the team game now, the individual performances will get better.

I've not heard him being booed by Blues at games so trying to compare comments on a forum with fans being on his back is ridiculous.

Last night was another 90 minutes of nothingness from him. Other players weren't at their best but the fact is they have plenty in the bank whereas Grealish hasn't. It's not unrealistic to expect a better return from our record signing than we have had to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.