10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grealish is not better than Bernardo at any facet of the game. I’m not sure how you can be so sure that grealish would be such a hit at cm. As you allude to yourself his defensive output is not to the required level for starters. He looks heavy to me and I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t eat the cleanest diet judging by his lack of explosiveness and poor work rate.

I think the problem is grealish looks great on match of the day and on YouTube highlights but now more posters are watching him for 90 mins people are underwhelmed by his output. Truth is he has never really scored or assisted enough goals to be considered an elite player imo.

In his defense he does look to be lacking confidence so I will give him the benefit of the doubt but he will never reach Bernardo, foden, mahrez, kdb levels. He could however still forge a decent career here for himself.

He's got a slightly weird body shape, skinny above the waist and bulky below. It's always been the case - as a teenager he looked like a little boy with a grown man's legs. Then as I think someone mentioned a few pages ago, as a part of his recovery from a kidney injury a few years back he bulked up generally. Genetics meant most of the muscles went to his lower half.

It means he's got a lower centre of gravity than most men his height and that helps him with close control and makes it hard to push him off the ball. But having to carry those leg/arse muscles around with him, without the corresponding upper body mass/strength to store and transfer energy to his lower half and propel him forwards means he's never going to be either the Adama Traore type with the multiple blistering sprints every match, or the Bernardo Silva energiser bunny type.

But he does have a turn of pace. Last year for his assist against Arsenal I saw him power right past Bellerin, one of the league's fastest defenders who couldn't get near him in speed or strength. His pace, especially with the ball, is often overlooked because his skill buys him time. He's never going to run like Sterling or Walker, and he can't keep doing it constantly within a match, but when he needs pace he finds it.

For Villa he was creating constantly. He was our best and most creative player. I get that you guys have other options, but in that case it should be understandable that he's not the centre of everything.

I watched the player for years and it seems to me that to judge him purely on goals and assists is to almost entirely miss the point of him.

I agree with Shearer. Grealish seems to playing it safe & not wanting to lose possession. He needs at times to take some risks.
He's clearly playing to instructions. 1-0 up against a side relying on breakaways is not the time to take risks.

He'll get his chance to express himself more in bigger games than Brentford.

I agree with Shearer. Grealish seems to playing it safe & not wanting to lose possession. He needs at times to take some risks.
Of course Shearer would want a more open game, especially speaking for the broadcaster. Amazon Prime must feel very underwhelmed with this holiday season - so many game canceled.

But Pep chose to play safely and rightly to do so. Just look at the injuries in other teams.

But he does have a turn of pace. Last year for his assist against Arsenal I saw him power right past Bellerin, one of the league's fastest defenders who couldn't get near him in speed or strength. His pace, especially with the ball, is often overlooked because his skill buys him time. He's never going to run like Sterling or Walker, and he can't keep doing it constantly within a match, but when he needs pace he finds it.

Grealish does not have good short range pace to bust past strong full backs from stand still position. He needs a little range to charge on acceleration. Thus he was coached into a midfielder rather than a winger in the youth system.

Foden and Bernado are the same - but they are left footed thus they only need small angle to cross in from the left. They have the exactly same problem - lukewarm when they are deployed on right wing - compared to their brilliance in the middle/on the left wing.

Of course Shearer would want a more open game, especially speaking for the broadcaster. Amazon Prime must feel very underwhelmed with this holiday season - so many game canceled.

But Pep chose to play safely and rightly to do so. Just look at the injuries in other teams.
It’s no surprise Brentford didn’t have a sniff second half.

We weren’t at it and Pep realised this and didn’t let them have the ball.

It’s no surprise Brentford didn’t have a sniff second half.

We weren’t at it and Pep realised this and didn’t let them have the ball.
Yeah it is :)

Pep in the post match interview said he asked the team to adjust a little bit in the 2nd half - and emphasised on not giving Brentford set pieces. He said we gave them too many set pieces in the first half.

I watched Brentford vs Chelsea and Liverpool - both very good at attacking/defending set pieces - and Brentford still got them endless trouble with set pieces. Chelsea luckily escaped with Mendy's MOTM display.

In the first half Ferna/Grealish and others gave the opposites some set pieces - because some other tried some risky passes and failed - at least twice by KDB. Pep was not happy with it and called it to a stop after half time.

Perhaps many fans did not realise how vulnerable we were at defending set pieces without Stones/Walker/Rodri - the best 3 of air duels in our team. Leicester did not cause trouble because they were arguably the worst (together with Leeds) on set pieces attacking/defending in the PL.

Yeah it is :)

Pep in the post match interview said he asked the team to adjust a little bit in the 2nd half - and emphasised on not giving Brentford set pieces. He said we gave them too many set pieces in the first half.

I watched Brentford vs Chelsea and Liverpool - both very good at attacking/defending set pieces - and Brentford still got them endless trouble with set pieces. Chelsea luckily escaped with Mendy's MOTM display.

In the first half Ferna/Grealish and others gave the opposites some set pieces - because some other tried some risky passes and failed - at least twice by KDB. Pep was not happy with it and called it to a stop after half time.

Perhaps many fans did not realise how vulnerable we were at defending set pieces without Stones/Walker/Rodri - the best 3 of air duels in our team. Leicester did not cause trouble because they were arguably the worst (together with Leeds) on set pieces attacking/defending in the PL.
All of this is so true. Cannot agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.