10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im afraid I can’t agree that this is about the price tag. I believe he was a luxury buy - a player who plays in a position where we are already very strong. He is not better than players we already have in the that number ten/left wing position and imo is not a player that improves the squad. I know this is early days and he may still come good but as far as I am concerned he has to offer more than five yard back passes. The way he he freezes in front of goal is maddeningly frustrating.

I was sat in the stands yesterday and there is not a lot of love for him from the fans sat around me so clearly I am not the only one who feels like this.

I‘ve been saying since we signed him I wish we had invested in a left back and another defensive midfielder to back up Rodri. I have seen nothing from Grealish so far to make me change my opinion.
Personally think the signing is planning for the next six years. We don't really need an instant impact from him and like most attackers we’ve signed recently it can take time to settle.

Bernardo (if rumours are to be believed) wanted to go in the summer. Mahrez and Gundogan are in their 30s with 18 months left on their contract, Sterling hasn’t signed a new deal either. It’s good planning by the club.

Personally think the signing is planning for the next six years. We don't really need an instant impact from him and like most attackers we’ve signed recently it can take time to settle.

Bernardo (if rumours are to be believed) wanted to go in the summer. Mahrez and Gundogan are in their 30s with 18 months left on their contract, Sterling hasn’t signed a new deal either. It’s good planning by the club.
Fair enough we all hope you're right matey

Not sure if it's already been posted (probably has, but I'm too lazy to check).....

Absolute class from Jack Grealish there - you know I'd like to think the world of football would be more respected if every day every player of a club did a little gesture for one fan - sign a shirt - ring them up - send them a birthday card - its the personal touches that become the ties that bind supporters to a club.

Absolute class from Jack Grealish there - you know I'd like to think the world of football would be more respected if every day every player of a club did a little gesture for one fan - sign a shirt - ring them up - send them a birthday card - its the personal touches that become the ties that bind supporters to a club.
And it doesn't take much. A minute of Jack's time, but that memory will be in that lady's (and her family's) mind for a long, long time.

Had a good game yesterday, but something I’ve noticed is he does like to take two touches when one would have sufficed (when one has sufficed, as a matter of fact — did it yesterday when he’d completely beaten his player and created space for himself, then turned outside him and lost the ball). I suspect he was able to do that at Villa maybe, because opposition players weren’t on their backsides as much.
By the same token, he’ll take three touches when two have already done the job.
I think it’ll all be ironed out in time.
Not the thread, but Mahrez — fuck what a first touch on that man. It is a thing of beauty.

That is because he is not as agile as Sterling/Foden in terms of adjusting position to make a shoot. I listened to a foreign channel of broadcasting yesterday and the commentator explained that blocked shot in 2nd half.

Grealish is very strong in both top/bottom half of the body. His body shape gives him advantage in terms of ground duels. He can keep his top half more straight than others while carrying the ball. He can carry the ball in both quick&slow speed, control the tempo and set the pace. He is very good at winning 50/50 balls and protecting the ball - a dream of ball retention.

However this also means he is not able to lower his body to an extreme level like Foden/Sterling and Jesus "the shorter guys" do - to make the quickest turn, which is critical in front of goal. That is also why his dribbling looks a bit "slower" than others. Yesterday his good first touch gave him advanced position and opened the space to shoot. But he was not able to turn in the angle to shoot within the next touch. Thus it looked like he took some extra touches.

He might improve a bit in the future but I doubt he will suit the role of running to the byline. He is a half winger (Mezzala in Italian) not a real winger.

Last edited:
That is because he is not as agile as Sterling/Foden in terms of adjusting position to make a shoot. I listened to a foreign channel of broadcasting yesterday and the commentator explained that blocked shot.

Grealish is very strong in both top/bottom half of the body. His body shape gave him advantage in terms of ground duels. He can keep his top half more straight than others while carrying the ball. So he can control the tempo. He is very good at winning 50/50 balls and protecting the ball - a dream of ball retention.

However this also means he is not able to lower his body to an extreme level like Foden/Sterling and Jesus "the shorter guys" do - to make the quickest turn, which is critical in front of goal. That is also why his dribbling looks a bit "slower" than others. Yesterday his good first touch made him advanced position and opened the space to shoot. But he was not able to turn in the angle to shoot within the next touch. Thus it looked like he took some extra touches.

He might improve a bit in the future but I doubt he will suit the role of running to the byline. He is a half winger (Mezzala in Italian) not a real winger.
he is a player to play in the pockets like david silva used to do for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.