10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack was incredibly frustrating to watch today and at face value it seems like he really underperformed considering he was playing against the defensively poor TAA. But the elephant in the room is that Pep, intentionally or not, coaches out of them a player’s ability to beat a defender. He’s done it with Raz, Leroy, Mahrez and now Grealish. Our success shows that this must be a sound policy but man is it frustrating to watch when things aren’t going our way and we need a bit of dynamism.

Despite having an abundance of highly skilled wide players the only one you’d put money on to skin the defender is Cancelo.

Jack was incredibly frustrating to watch today and at face value it seems like he really underperformed considering he was playing against the defensively poor TAA. But the elephant in the room is that Pep, intentionally or not, coaches out of them a player’s ability to beat a defender. He’s done it with Raz, Leroy, Mahrez and now Grealish. Our success shows that this must be a sound policy but man is it frustrating to watch when things aren’t going our way and we need a bit of dynamism.

Despite having an abundance of highly skilled wide players the only one you’d put money on to skin the defender is Cancelo.

Pretty sure Mahrez can beat a defender based on the fact he has embarrassed two full backs in his last two games. Pep doesn't coach it out of people at all, he just plays a statistical game and rates ball retention more highly than trying to beat a defender and then cross it to no one.

Jack will be fine. He will grow in confidence and realise he is worthy of a place in the side and become more selfish at times. Mahrez is the perfect example of what he needs to do. He just needs that one match winning performance for the switch to flick.

He also played Jesus through for a very simple one-on-one, to be fair

Those are the stats he keeps talking about. He has created so many chances that have been fluffed this season that his assist column is much lower than it should be. If not for wasteful finishing he would probably have a very good return on that front. He is defo delivering more of a threat than he did.

You seriously believe what you have written ? Find another elephant, review Mahrez today, ever heard of Foden, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Messi or Iniesta or Pep's mentor Cruyff, never capable of beating a defender any of them ????????

He’s so soft in the challenge. Looking for free kicks constantly, even when he’s off the ball he’ll get knocked over and lie there appealing to the ref. He’s so easy to wind up and he minces around the pitch with his stupid bouncy haircut and his rolled down socks like he’s actually achieved something in the game. Never takes anyone on, plays the safe pass, misses chances, that one in first half typical in that he wanted far too much time. Doesn’t press well or support the team defensively. Really poor season. Massive improvement needed.
Still spouting the prejudices you had when he arrived, how many goals have we missed due to the "stupid bouncy haircut"

Last edited:
He will never live up to his price tag. You significantly overpaid for him. Of all the midfielders and wide players on the pitch today. Easily ranked behind Salah, Mane, Mahrez, Sterling, De Bruyne, Foden, Sterling, Thiago, Silva, Jota, Diaz.

Cut your losses

He’s so soft in the challenge. Looking for free kicks constantly, even when he’s off the ball he’ll get knocked over and lie there appealing to the ref. He’s so easy to wind up and he minces around the pitch with his stupid bouncy haircut and his rolled down socks like he’s actually achieved something in the game. Never takes anyone on, plays the safe pass, misses chances, that one in first half typical in that he wanted far too much time. Doesn’t press well or support the team defensively. Really poor season. Massive improvement needed.

I agree. No athleticism. Good footballer. But the best footballers are great footballers and proper athletes, unless your a freak of nature like Messi, of which Jack isnt.

Mind you, he has a new fashion label coming out, and maybe thats the problem. He gives me the Beckham celebrity vibes.

Just look at Mo Salah, he looks like a dirty homeless drunk. Mo Salah clearly doesn't have any side hustles. He obviously doesn't have trendy barber who cuts his hair & shaves him.

I further think Grealish is a bad influence on Foden who is a proper footballer.

I made this prediction before - Grealish will be on loan to Villa for the 23/24 season

Villa fan here, been watching Jack his whole career.

I watched the semi-final on TV and thought he looked far from his best. At Villa he had a task to take games by the scruff of the neck and make stuff happen, whereas at City he seems to be expected to take more of a supporting role. It's probably not worse for the team, considering the other stars you have, but it doesn't help Jack with trying to live up to the price tag.

Can't believe the level of ire and volume of posts aimed at him here, though. I didn't think he particularly shone yesterday, but he looked more of a threat and less profligate than your other forward players (except Mahrez when he came on). Got a goal and should have had at least 2 assists.

Mostly it makes me sad that, as a player who's universally hated by opposition fans, he's moved to a club where so few seem willing to stand by him. He shoots, you call him selfish. He passes, you call him meek. He takes a risk and loses the ball, you call him wasteful. He plays safe and protects the ball, you call him cowardly.

I saw Pep the other day describe him as a "lovely lad" who's "incredibly loved" in the dressing room, and that fits with the player I always knew, but there's still those here who'll call him a bad influence on Foden because they're friends who have each individually made stupid mistakes in the past.

Here's what I know about Jack, having watched him since he was a teenager. He's insanely talented at what he does - and given the chance, what he does can win you matches, he takes instruction really well from people he respects, he's a hard worker whose languid style on the ball sometimes makes it look otherwise, and he'll never stop trying his best for the team. He thrives on being hated by his rivals, and on having people look to him to make a different, and on repaying the faith of those who stand by him.

I don't know what the future holds, but I wouldn't bet against him becoming a huge star for you guys. I think a lot of you underestimate and misconstrue his character.

A couple of years ago I saw him tear Liverpool apart. 2 goals and 3 assists, and a level of performance that wasn't out of the ordinary for him. Liverpool may be a different beast now, but not as different as the gulf between the Villa team that beat them then and the City team that just lost.

If Smith got that out of him, I've got to believe Guardiola can do more.

He will never live up to his price tag. You significantly overpaid for him. Of all the midfielders and wide players on the pitch today. Easily ranked behind Salah, Mane, Mahrez, Sterling, De Bruyne, Foden, Sterling, Thiago, Silva, Jota, Diaz.

Cut your losses
Yet despite being so shit he’s somehow better than any player you’ve got

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.