10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to believe that was true but he’s not playing with any of the confidence that enables that level of performance so far for us. I’m happy to see how he goes next season but he’s really got to up his game from his current form. Big price tag brings pressure and he’s not handled it at all so far

If he lacks confidence, why does he lack confidence?

The price tag? Challenging for trophies? Playing with world-class players? Hostility from opposition fans? All things he's on record as saying he embraces, even enjoys.

The rest of the squad seem to adore him, and from what he's said Pep and the coaches have been taking time to put an arm around him and praise all the stuff he's doing right.

He's playing pretty regularly for us and still getting selected for England, seems likely to go to the World Cup. And off the pitch he's got the Gucci deal apparently, which is more people telling him how good he is, not to mention on top of everything else he's probably got more money than he ever dreamt of.

And he seems to never previously have been someone who lacked confidence or self-belief.

So if it's gone now, why has it gone, and how can he get it back? Is there anything we as a club or the fans can do to help that?

I don't know the answer (although I'd suggest those City fans who tag him in abusive posts on social media probably aren't going the right way about it). But right now I'm firmly in the camp of believing a loss of confidence is usually temporary, and when it's over we'll see the best of him.
he should always find himself in the position that he played the ball to Jesus. that is the exact midfield position where he will be most effective. I will say the second half improvement was directly related to grealish moving into the deeper position and foden playing higher up because in the first half midfield foden was doing fuck all while grealish was stuck on the false 9.

I agree with this. That left half-space is where he's most dangerous.

He played on the wing for Villa, but with the freedom to drift inwards. On the wing for us he's instructed to hold the width to make space for other players, and he follows those instructions and when the players in the space deliver it looks like an effective tactic, but it's not getting the most of his individual skillset.

He gives false 9 a go, but honestly I don't see the point of putting someone who's not a clinical finisher, whose biggest strength is progressing the ball up the pitch, in a position where he's closest to goal, with less space to run into and fewer people to pass forward to.

I want to see him as Gundo's understudy. I think the defensive and pace control aspects of his game have improved loads this year, but there's more to work on. But long-term I see him succeeding for us in that midfield role alongside Kev or Bernardo.

But if Grealish were at Arsenal he wouldnt be more influential than than Odegaard, Martinelli or Saka. Might even throw win ESR too.

Youve got great players, But Grealish isnt one of them
they may stand out at arsenal but it isnt really that hard, as for ESR has he even played this year, he had a promising year last year but i cant seem to think what hes done this year,if jack played for you he would be your top dog

Mahrez had played one season in the PL (where he scored 4 goals and Leicester just about survived relegation) and the rest of his career in the Championship and Ligue 2 before he had that brilliant season in 15/16.
Indeed. And while Mahrez was good in his first season for us, that showed in his very poor 2019-20 season for us. He allowed himself to drop to a level he had been used to playing at previously in his career. It wasn’t good enough for us that season from him.

He did turn that back around though and had good seasons last season and this. Which are good signs for Grealish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from that last phrase, so ludicrous it's almost funny. But of course the "never a fan of yours" is the revealing thing.
Grealish is overrated, always has been, he is never a 100m player in a million years, never will be.

Time to settle is a myth for great players, although getting used to playing in a Pep team can take time but the lack of urgency in him is inexcusable.

He has been a complete flop in my view.

Many will consider this harsh but as the season draws to a close I feel he has contributed the square root of fuck all.

As someone posted a few days ago, what are the remaining games and a summer holiday going to achieve so that he becomes a significant part of our first choice line up next season? I just don't see any improvement that would remotely justify the enormous outlay on him.

you could say that about most of the players we’ve signed recently after their first season. Wouldn’t be so quick to write a player off

Jack would be your best player and absolutely stand out.
Well Saka gets picked ahead of him for England. And I couldn't even comprehend an an argument Grealish is better than Martinelli. Odegaard is a better player than Grealish

Grealish would not be our best player. I mean why would he? What's he done to warrant such a high reputation, other than the transfer fee you christened him with?

12 months ago he was an Aston Villa footballer, then you spent 100m on him. How does being bought for 100m make you a better footballer? If this logic were true, Harry Maguire would be a world class centre half.

Im willing to admit Mahrez, Foden, De Bruyne, Sterling are of extreme quality, but I will not be gaslighted into acknowledging Grealish is an elite level footballer when he clearly isnt.

Grealish has strolled around the pitch in most games far too casually for my liking. I want to see some gut busting fire in his belly and a will to win next season. And the most frustrating thing is Jack has the ability to take a game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen, and sadly he hasn't contributed enough for a player of his ability, first season or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.