10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grealish is not more of the same (players we already have). Compare him to Sterling, Foden, Bernardo and Kevin.

Unlike Sterling, Grealish is more of a left-sided playmaker than a winger. For instance, Ronaldinho played mostly on the left side, but he wasn't a winger. So, Grealish is nothing like Sterling. His ability to hold on the ball when pressed and create is on a completely different level to Sterling's.

Grealish is better than Foden at keeping possession in the final 3rd and at creating chances. Foden is more direct and poses a bigger goal threat, he is generally more talented, but he is more likely to lose the ball when pressed.

Grealish is more creative than Bernardo, he is more like Kevin in terms of creativity. But he is less direct than Kevin and less likely to lose the ball when pressed. Also, he is better at running at players than both Bernardo and Kevin.

Now, do we really need another playmaker in a team as creative as ours? Well, we barely created anything against Chelsea in the CL final. One of the main reasons was that we couldn't deal with Chelsea's pressing. We couldn't hold on the ball in the final 3rd which diminished our creativity. Arguably, Grealish could give us more stability in the final 3rd in games against teams like Chelsea or Liverpool. More stability in the final 3rd would mean not only more creativity, but also fewer opportunities to get countered. That's why I think that signing Grealish makes a lot of sense, apart from him being a wonderful player. Can't wait to see him next to Foden and KDB.

Last edited:
Grealish is not more of the same (players we already have). Compare him to Sterling, Foden, Bernardo and Kevin.

Unlike Sterling, Grealish is more of a left-sided playmaker than a winger. For instance, Ronaldinho played mostly on the left side, but he wasn't a winger. So, Grealish is nothing like Sterling. His ability to hold on the ball when pressed and create is on a completely different level to Sterling's.

Grealish is better than Foden at keeping possession in the final 3rd and at creating chances. Foden is more direct and poses a bigger goal threat, he is generally more talented, but he is more likely to lose the ball when pressed.

Grealish is more creative than Bernardo, he is more like Kevin in terms of creativity. But he is less direct than Kevin and less likely to lose the ball when pressed. Also, he is better at running at players than both Bernardo and Kevin.

Now, do we really need another playmaker in a team as creative as ours? Well, we barely created anything against Chelsea in the CL final. One of the main reasons was that we couldn't deal with Chelsea's pressing. We couldn't hold on the ball in the final 3rd which diminished our creativity. Arguably, Grealish could give us more stability in the final 3rd in games against teams like Chelsea or Liverpool. More stability in the final 3rd would mean not only more creativity, but also fewer opportunities to get countered. That's why I think that signing Grealish makes a lot of sense, apart from him being a wonderful player. Can't wait to see him next to Foden and KDB.
Wow someone with a bit of knowledge

I'd argue that Grealish is somewhat similar to Sterling - at least in the role he now plays.

Both drive at the defense on the wing and create dangerous opportunities.

Grealish is - however, much, much more able to hold onto possession even while driving towards goal.

Each player has unique attributes - Grealish drives at opponents, gets fouls, is skillful at ball retention, and is able to break down defenses due to his driving abilities. He's (I'm pretty sure) a "homegrown" player which eases hiring restrictions (but so is Sterling).
===
I prefer Grealish over Sterling on the wing at present. At the same time though, I'd wish that instead of signing Grealish we would have signed a striker or a LB or a DM of some quality. This summer window we were largely dormant - while teams around us strengthened.

As a result - I don't think we're favorites to win the P/L (my pick Chelsea) nor the C/L (my pick PSG).

Hopefully though - we've been quiet this window with the expectation of making big signings next summer.

What are the full words to the Grealish song, is it

you to me you’re everything, the greatest lid I’ve ever seen ! Jack grealish , Jack Grealish

you only earn 200 grand round run down the wing in your headband , Jack Greal
What are the full words to the Grealish song, is it

you to me you’re everything, the greatest lid I’ve ever seen ! Jack grealish , Jack Grealish

you only earn 200 grand round run down the wing in your headband , Jack Grealish, Jack Grealish
He takes the ball, he beats 5 men, he’s super city’s number 10, Jack Grelaish, Jack Grealish

He only earns 200 grand, struts his stuff in his headband, Jack Grealish, Jack Grealish

You to me are everything, the greatest trim I’ve ever seen, Jack Grealish, Jack Grealish

I'd argue that Grealish is somewhat similar to Sterling - at least in the role he now plays.

They are fundamentally different IMO.

Grealish is a creator of attacks, Sterling is a finisher of them - whether that's playing the final pass or scoring.

Grealish beats people with the ball, 90% of the time Sterling beats players with his movement off the ball.

I think they fulfil very different roles in the side which is why I've never thought Grealish will take Sterling's game time.

I think our front 5 is divided into roughly 2 groups, the creators and the finishers. That's not to say the creators don't score and the finishers dont get assists or otherwise create goals, it's just their primary, first choice role.

I expect almost every side we put out will have 1 or more of Torres, Sterling or Jesus in to complement the creative players - Foden, KDB, Grealish, Bernardo, Gundogan, Mahrez - and be in the 6 yard box or running into it during each attack, even if its as a decoy or creating space for someone like Gundogan or Foden to score.

So I think Sterling is competing with Torres and Jesus, and Grealish is competing with the others.

Last edited:
Very good until the last thing he did which was often poor, but starting to fit in with how we play nicely now. Good performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.