10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post, especially about his personality character.

I disliked him at Villa, always though he was a cocky, arrogant twat, I was wrong there, he clearly is a very decent lad and is obviously hugely popular in the dressing room.

But the excuses are now getting silly, I said recently Alvarez has shown more ability, desire and better results in a handful of games than Grealish has shown in 12 months, I stand by that.

If he is not careful Grealish may miss out on a World Cup place, which would be a disaster for both player and club.

Alvarez is similar to Bernardo in that either of them could have a crap game in possession but the tenacity and effort will always be there. Jack just doesn't have that.

On the pitch he reminds me of Samir Nasri. When he's having an off game then he doesn't offer enough end product or defensive effort to avoid stinking the place out.

Will we start to release Haaland when he gets in the gap between the C/H`s more than once a match. If we don`t, I have a feeling and he`ll stop making those runs and we`ll never really see the best of Erling no matter how many goals he puts away.

The bottom line is he's not been good enough on an individual level so far and the endless list of bullshit excuses made for him isn't exactly helping his reputation.

He is a left winger. That's where he plays and that's where he's been playing. How many times has the best footballing tactician on the planet decided to play him in midfield? Just because some of the quantum physicists on here have deduced that he needs the freedom of the middle of the park, that doesn't make it a good idea.

Look at the level of midfielders we're used to now: de Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Gundogan and Yaya Toure. These players have been the bedrock of our teams for over a decade. Does anyone seriously think Jack Grealish belongs in that category or standard of player? Based on what? Guess work?

He doesn't have the brain to control the tempo as well as David or Gundo, he doesn't have the ability to change games as often as Kev or Yaya and he sure as shit doesn't have Bernardo's work rate, let alone his level of talent on the ball. How often would he realistically play in midfield with some of these players ahead of him?

As for the "Pep's shackling him" nonsense? Please. Why is he the only player in the team who can't have any tangible impact on games when played in his normal position?

I don't get how some of you can claim to be Grealish fans and still, with a straight face, say that he has been great for us since he joined and that he's a vital player for the way we play. How can you seriously rate the lad and be okay with what he's produced?

I've seen some defend him by saying Pep keeps picking him so he must be doing something right but if you look at last season then you'd see Pep picked him for about one important game in the latter stages and the rest he sat out on the bench or came on at some point in the second half.

And to add a bit of context for all of this waffle, I do want Grealish to succeed. I thought he was a prat before he joined and that I didn't see what the hype was about. Now I'll happily admit that I was being judgemental about him as a person and that he seems like a decent lad with his heart in the right place, not to mention a decent set of bollocks to deal with some of the pressure and rough treatment he gets.

But there is nothing wrong with expecting a lot more from him. Those who spend so much time defending him, massively overrating any bang average performance he puts in and blaming everyone else for his shortcomings should be able to hold their hands up and admit that they expect better. You can't rate him and accept mediocrity.

He was far from the only shit performer last night. The problem is that every one of those other players has shown their value at various points. Jack needs to have a run of games where he does the same.
Brilliantly put

Alvarez is similar to Bernardo in that either of them could have a crap game in possession but the tenacity and effort will always be there. Jack just doesn't have that.

On the pitch he reminds me of Samir Nasri. When he's having an off game then he doesn't offer enough end product or defensive effort to avoid stinking the place out.
I get what your saying but Nasri had a horrible attitude not sure Grealish has but his work rate has to improve , simply not good enough.

Last season he was constantly blowing hard, his fitness levels terrible, much improved this season but still off, not sure he is a natural athlete, he is a big lad and must have to work very, very hard in terms of fitness.

At this point i am sure pep is picking him because they are trying their best to make 100 million work. Hopefully shirt sales are worth it because we ain't seeing anything on the field

Tbf mate your voice is the same as well, once again grealish hasn't done anything of note and it's the usual suspects piping up about how he wasn't shite. Recycled the ball and held possession? That's the one thing iv always thought pep teams were missing. It's the same excuses as always, needs time... He's needs to play in midfield and now this season apparently it's the left backs fault he's shit.

The excuses have run dry. It's time to deliver. Which he hasn't since he came here and isn't currently doing.
I will continue to address the balance though...he wasn't shite,he wasn't great... he did a good job but his final ball wasn't there,which clearly it has to be on more occasions.Its not been the most fluid of transfers admittedly,but the criticism is OTT from those who never wanted him here in the first place.

Last night both Kev and Mahrez were less influential,I haven't yet been on their threads though...

I get what your saying but Nasri had a horrible attitude not sure Grealish has but his work rate has to improve , simply not good enough.

Last season he was constantly blowing hard, his fitness levels terrible, much improved this season but still off, not sure he is a natural athlete, he is a big lad and must have to work very, very hard in terms of fitness.

Yeah the attitude is completely different. Nasri could have gone on to achieve infinitely more if he conducted himself like a proper professional. But there are similarities in the way they play and what their strengths and weaknesses are. But Jack is clearly determined to prove what he can do and test himself against the best or he'd still be at Villa.

But I disagree that Jack has improved this season. I think he's pretty much been doing what he did last season. Last night was probably the worst performance he's put in yet but he's simply been average overall.

There are always lots of little facets to formations and tactics that would benefit every player in the squad in different ways to get better things out of them. That’s the same with Grealish. People aren’t making excuses for him (okay some are) but they can see how we could get more out of him by playing in different ways as a team. But everyone can say that about every player in some way.

Grealish needs to do more himself. The time is now. He’s been here well over a year now and he simply needs to improve on a personal level, a lot. He’s not delivering enough. There’s no denying it, there’s no excuses or reasons, different formations, different players playing off him… he’s got to start doing more himself.

He was one of many poor performers last night, but that was the stage then for Grealish to have his game where he was the man who pulled us out of it and won the game for us. He’s not done it yet in over a year here. Alvarez has already had that game in his one and only start for the club, he was excellent against Forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.