10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not that he’s bad. He doesn’t dribble down blind alleys, constantly lose possession, or blast easy chances over the bar… but he just does everything nice and safely, without any real aggression.

We need an opposition full back who comes out from the off and gives Jack and good few kickings. Wind him up. Get him going. I think he’ll then stand up and be counted.

Everything has been so laidback from him.

I also think there’s a bit of a lack of seeing himself up in the hierarchy of team importance and he dismisses responsibility and just does everything safely on his own part while he allows de Bruyne or others to try and win the game.

He needs to understand that de Bruyne is only 9.091% of the team just like he is and he has exactly the same amount of responsibility to win a game as each and every other player. He needs to be confident and take that responsibility.
This is pretty much how I see it. I feel like he's playing well within himself and quite happy to pass responsibility onto others like KDB.

A totally different set of circumstances to what he had when at Aston Villa where he was expected to be the main influence and was comfortable with that being the case.

If Pep wants the £100M out of him that we put in, he needs to let him play the way he played when we thought he was worth the money!

It’s great to collect great players, but why waste the talent?

I think like all players at City, Pep has to trust you and love you. I’m not sure he trusts Jack…or maybe it’s Jack that doesn't trust Pep to still love him if he goes for it and it doesn’t come off or he loses the ball? Or, maybe he HAS had a crack, lost the ball a time or two, and got a rollicking?

It’s impossible to know EXACTLY where the problem is, but it is clear that Foden and Bernardo and even Alvarez and KDB are having better luck on the wings than Jack and Mahrez at the moment.

I‘d like to see Foden play LM with Jack out wide left and Cancelo at LB. I think that trio is an inside outside triple threat down the left and frees them up to be more expressive. Currently, I’d have Bernardo and KDB playing on the right, interchanging inside and outside, as necessary.

It’s time to see if he can be a regular starter in this team before we try to create him into a star in the team. The only question is when, or if, that time runs out…for Pep, for fans, or for Jack himself?

If Pep wants the £100M out of him that we put in, he needs to let him play the way he played when we thought he was worth the money!

It’s great to collect great players, but why waste the talent?

I think like all players at City, Pep has to trust you and love you. I’m not sure he trusts Jack…or maybe it’s Jack that doesn't trust Pep to still love him if he goes for it and it doesn’t come off or he loses the ball? Or, maybe he HAS had a crack, lost the ball a time or two, and got a rollicking?

It’s impossible to know EXACTLY where the problem is, but it is clear that Foden and Bernardo and even Alvarez and KDB are having better luck on the wings than Jack and Mahrez at the moment.

I‘d like to see Foden play LM with Jack out wide left and Cancelo at LB. I think that trio is an inside outside triple threat down the left and frees them up to be more expressive. Currently, I’d have Bernardo and KDB playing on the right, interchanging inside and outside, as necessary.

It’s time to see if he can be a regular starter in this team before we try to create him into a star in the team. The only question is when, or if, that time runs out…for Pep, for fans, or for Jack himself?

I always thought inverted wingers play with fullback who overlap. I could just put up with that. Inverted wingers on their own IMO is terrible and makes the job easier for defender.

Also when when the fuck are we going to release this 6`5" version of Flash in Thors body on defenses. The ball between the two C/B`s he looks for every game, he`s open his body up and starts the run for a ball that has only come twice or 3 times that I remember.

When it doesn`t come his body language show his displeasure. While I don`t want this ball every time I would like it to be used more. This ball was used to brilliant effect by every team he`s played for apart from us.

All I hear from Pep is we don`t want to give Erling the ball early. Why the fuck not.

I always thought inverted wingers play with fullback who overlap. I could just put up with that. Inverted wingers on their own IMO is terrible and makes the job easier for defender.
I think you’re missing the point of the inverted fullback, which releases the midfielder to be an attacker. In the above, what I wrote was that with Cancelo playing the inverted role (LM), it frees up the supposed LM and LW to play their channels, switch, or interchange.

We saw this in the last 20 minutes against Dortmund, when Foden, Bernardo and Cancelo started playing their revolving triangles around the corner of their 18 yard box.

Sadly, we haven‘t seen Jack, Phil and Jose play that together, that I can recall.

On the right, KDB and Bernardo play together out there to create an opening for either KDB to whip one in, or work the ball inside for Bernardo or a drop off for, in this last case, a John Stones shot or dink/cross.

We don’t necessarily play symmetrical football, where one side plays the same system as the other, simply because the personnel are both different and have different specialties.
Also when when the fuck are we going to release this 6`5" version of Flash in Thors body on defenses. The ball between the two C/B`s he looks for every game, he`s open his body up and starts the run for a ball that has only come twice or 3 times that I remember.

When it doesn`t come his body language show his displeasure. While I don`t want this ball every time I would like it to be used more. This ball was used to brilliant effect by every team he`s played for apart from us.

All I hear from Pep is we don`t want to give Erling the ball early. Why the fuck not.
I’ll leave that for the Haaland thread. ;-)

Last edited:

6'4", but yes I get your point he has started slowly;)
But the answer to the "why the fuck not " bit is, we rarely encounter a defence in transition that has left itself exposed, so Haaland is 3 on 1, not peps type of odds , when a defence is exposed on transition as it was v w Ham and Palace the ball you crave will be played.
But let's leave it to the appropriate thread.

Not writing Grealish off just yet. It took Rodri 18 months - 2 years to get it and he is an absolute monster now. There's no doubt he has to step up though and start contributing more. He's just come back from injury too so that will be a contributing factor in his performance.

I don't think him and Mahrez works as a combination though. Both don't really press the ball with great intensity and both have a tendency to come back inside. I think if either of them play we either need overlapping full backs or Foden / Alvarez need to play to provide the width and intensity in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.