10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, when he's being direct then he's a proper handful and edge of your seat kind of player to watch. But for some reason he's slowing the whole game down whenever he gets it.

There's only a few games in just over a season where he has been direct - Leeds home and away last season, Palace away last season, Arsenal at home last season, Watford away last season and his debut - which isn't enough.

I'm assuming he has the license to drive at his full back whenever he gets it given the fact he's not playing with an overlapping full back behind him whenever he plays and the fact our wingers under Pep are urged to attack the full back whenever they get it. I'm just not sure why he's not doing it but he needs to start doing it and quick.

I do fear, though, that Pep might have a leash on him and his main role is to protect the ball, draw players in and maintain possession all while it frees up space for the other players - mainly the opposite winger/number 8. It's not pretty for Grealish and it won't win any fans over but it'll mean Pep is more than happy with what he's doing which has been backed up by comments he's made about Grealish (specifically after the Newcastle game saying he'd have been perfect for slowing the game down) and the fact he continues to be picked quite regularly when fit.

I just wished he'd add a bit of 'umph' to his game but if Pep is telling him not to, he won't go out his way to.

Fair play, but one thing is certain, Jack Grealish needs to up his game and quickly, now or never.
Grealish is a talent but he came back after summer in poor shape and not focused, probably because of his party boy lifestyle. He has had niggling injuries but his recovery from them will be impacted by his behaviour off the pitch. He doesn't seem to realise he is not at Villa any more, he is at an elite club. If he doesn't sort himself out quickly Pep will dump him. Pep has a track record of being ruthless. I defended him all last season but I have seen too many players over the years waste opportunities because they think they are bigger than the club.

When you have the IQ of a squashed kumquat, you need to have 100% confidence in your ability to succeed. I don’t think Jack has that at the moment.

Not bothered by his 100m tag or his off field antics (good and/or dubious). Bothered wether he is a good fit. Never thought he was and still don't see it. Now that the worm is turning and the focus is on him the pressure will only grow. Next few weeks could be make or brake for him. Mediocre performances will no longer do. If so, the pressure could break him.
I have been labelled a hater but never hated him just called out what is now patently obvious to all but the most stubborn posters. If (and it is a big if) he is to work out for us, now is the time to back him if he plays. I will cheer him onto the pitch in the hope he can find something we have yet to see.

The happy clappers will be old men or women if they're waiting for Jack to suddenly transform.
Enough of the second season nonsense as well. Took Erling all of a couple of weeks to excel.
Huge disappointment.
I’m not sure anyone thinks Grealish is anywhere near being a “generational talent”.

We‘ve allowed Haaland to play his natural game as it suits us to do so. It doesn’t suit us to let Grealish play how he always had at Villa.

It’s difficult to teach someone who doesn’t know what a thesaurus is or what symmetrical means.

I’m still hopeful that the penny may drop at some point for him.

If he wasn't delivering then Pep wouldn't start him. Its very simple.

It might not be what some on here want and that is fine, but Pep isn't going to play him just to prove a point. He is here to win football matches and he certainly doesn't owe anything to Jack to keep playing him.

Pep has stated on several occasions the principles of slowing the game down and being methodical with build up play is what he wants. He doesn't want Grealish running at a full back for 90mins, if he did then he would tell him to do so.

Unfortunately Jack will never get a 30 g/a season like some thing he should for 100m. He has never been that player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.