10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not our worst player last night but the reason he’s getting flak is - unlike others - we’re still waiting for him to deliver.

A lot of us gave him slack in his first season but we are now well into season 2 and patience will wear thin if he doesn‘t start to shine soon.

Sorry, but he doesn't look like a natural winger at all to me. He virtually never goes outside his player, he doesn't appear to have the pace to do it, and the times he simply passes it diagonally backwards a few yards and in field are beyond counting. It's really stereotyped play, and it presents no surprise for the opposition defence. I'm afraid I'm less and less impressed. If that's what he's been told to do and he's terrified of losing possession, then it's definitely time for Pep to take him aside and say, “Look Jack just play your natural game from time to time.”
Even Mahrez, who rarely goes outside his full back, has a good enough touch to buy himself a pocket of space, put himself on his favoured left foot, and get his shot away sometimes.

Last edited:
Truth is Grealish is not a great 1v1 winger vs a low block. Especially on the left where he's got to cut in on his strong foot and playing it safe most the time or being too predictable. His best attribute is dribbling in transition on the counter and moving the ball up the pitch, which city usually do slowly with possession and moving the ball side to side.
In my opinion Jesus, Raz, Mahrez and Sane are/were all better 1v1 wingers vs a low block. And even foden plays on his stronger foot on the left so gets better quality crosses in and more frequently. Grealish on the left won't work in my opinion and the options are try him on the right, crossing on his stronger foot. Or through the middle where he can carry the ball more in transition... the latter won't happen with Gundo/kev and berny being who they are.

Mate, how can you even think of comparing him to Mahrez who's been scoring ~10 goals a season just in PL and who was carrying us through games and the string of games singlehandedly.
Mahrez is out of form for a few games after the season when he was our top scorer. Jack realistically never ever came even close to be the player of the match for us.
Mahrez has never single-handedly carried us through a game.

If we where to try and offload Grealish, realistically what kind of fee do people think we could get for him.
Based on his performances about half, then factor in his 300k a week wages and he will be going back to villa on a free after stinking the place out of years.

The frustrating thing is that we've seen what he can do for us.
When he came on at Real Madrid he almost scored, twice, by running at the defence at pace and putting the ball across. This is one of his strengths and i don't understand why he doesn't do that more often.
He also stood off Dani carvajal so he could whip on the ball for rodrigo to knock us out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.