10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psg semi final?
Correct. People often have short memories.

As for Grealish, I think he needs just the one big game to shine or be important. He is a lot better than what he shows for. Imho it’s a confidence thing. That goes for a lot of players btw.
Yesterday he wasn’t lucky with nearly the whole team underperforming or Dortmund playing cleverly strong. Let’s hope he gets the moment or game to get going. But time soon runs out.

The frustrating thing is that we've seen what he can do for us.
When he came on at Real Madrid he almost scored, twice, by running at the defence at pace and putting the ball across. This is one of his strengths and i don't understand why he doesn't do that more often.

Perhaps I can offer my thought here. Grealish is not a perfect player. He has strength and shortness. His first 3 steps are slow but once he carries the ball with speed, he is good. Also his shooting is good but not striker level good. Thus he was determined to be trained into a midfielder instead of forward in his youth.

What happened vs Real Madrid.

The first shot - Zinny delivered a good ball with perfect speed and weight to Grealish. This allows Grealish to run up to speed before the first touch. This avoids his slow first 3 steps problem. As u can see when he carried the ball the defenses could not stop him.

The 2nd shot - critically Gundo made a little overlap on the left when Grealish was in the shooting position. Madrid defenders had a moment of hesitation - thus it bought Grealish a slight space to shot. He pretended to shoot from right foot. The opposite rushed to block his right foot. But he moved the ball to his left foot and shot from there.

So the quality of Zinny's ball and the small overlap Gundo did unblock Grealish.

However back in PL or with opposite who studied him more, usually they won't leave that much space for him. Or be confused by Gundo's overlap (because Gundo is right footed as well). So chances like this are far more rare. He did not get this kind of support as well. For example last night when he made those silly shot if a teammate offered some small overlap it would be much easier for him to have a better angle. (I am not blaming anyone but just saying it seems overlapping is not part of our usual game plan).

It can be easily solved if Grealish pairs with an PL avg level left back who can deliver the ball with quality and can offer overlaps at times.

Otherwise it will be in all parties interest if City negotiates a deal with other team to make a transfer. Some other system may suit him better and City can buy a more suitable winger to pair with Cancelo.

Might be wishful thinking, but if you stick a left footed player on the left side (either Gomez at LB or Foden/Bernardo at 8) and Grealish will be better. Distracts a defender, opens up space to cut in and gives a left footed crossing option on that side.

Hell, even getting Cancelo to do overlapping or underlapping runs would be good. Other than suddenly turning into Messi, he's more often than not going to pass back rather than get past 2/3 players.

He's not been great for City, not terrible, but it just doesn't seem like we set up to match his strengths.

If the goal of football was to shoot straight at an opponent's shin the lad would have been the greatest player of all time. unbelievable ability to find that shin every time, it's like a magnet
Annoying part is you can tell he is about to shoot bc he seems to almost do it in slow motion.. I would however love to see him play in the middle

The frustrating thing is that we've seen what he can do for us.
When he came on at Real Madrid he almost scored, twice, by running at the defence at pace and putting the ball across. This is one of his strengths and i don't understand why he doesn't do that more often.
People don’t understand the differences in opposition and circumstances within football.

He came on against a Madrid side chasing the game, committing men forward, leaving themselves open to the break.

It’s no good saying “just do that every week” he’s not playing against one full back and then one centre half covering, both on the half way line, every week.

He had that a lot at Villa but won’t get that the majority of the time at City.

He’s not quick enough from a stop start to take on 3 defensive players covering our flanks.

He especially won’t succeed with a left back who’s right footed, cutting inside, as his partner on that left wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.