10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah but Pep wants possession with purpose (or bravery as he often refers to it) - ie creating space, moving the opponent....Grealish doesnt do this. You are presuming that Pep is happy with his performances.......what he says to the media about any players is not necessarily the actual truth.....

If Grealish doesnt start performing he will be benched and so he should be. He only started today as Foden had had no pre season
If he isn’t happy with Grealish, I would ask why does he keep playing the same way? If you were Grealish and Pep was telling you that he isn’t happy with this pass back, negative dross, you would change, no? So either Grealish isn’t listening to Pep, or Pep is telling him to keep doing it. I struggle to imagine a scenario where Pep is telling him it’s not good enough, Grealish continues to ignore him but Pep picks him regardless.

No.

They played exactly the opposite role. Grealish task is to attract as much defenders to create room on the opposite flank. And Mahrez task is to use this room after switch to finish. In recent podcast by Pol they discussed about how Mahrez enjoyed these switches which boosted his stats.

However - it is not the most efficient way to use our squad now after two new strikers joined. Mahrez is no longer the best finisher and the tactics should build on how to utilize the strikers instead of creating room for Mahrez.

I am not blaming him ...just saying we need a change. But Pep still used the same game plan today and it was not efficient today.
agree to an extent. but I meant how both take on their defender and always cut in and never go past their defender with pace which is unlike a modern winger and more like a attacking 8.

Agree with this - and feel it is a "problem" we've had with a few players over the recent years: KDB and Bernardo have moved centrally to great effect, I feel Grealish and Foden also would be better centrally. Alvarez yet to be seen but wouldn't shock me if he doesn't look a natural wide man either.

Sane, Sterling and Mahrez have been our only real wingers recently, and two of them have left. We've lost a lot of the width we used to have.

Like you say having Cancelo (and Walker) on the pitch only seems to exacerbate this, Cancelo takes up the space at LW, and Walker isn't a great attacking fullback. It does feel like the balance is off and we lack width without a natural LB coming in - on paper Cancelo RB and Cucurella* (or other) at LB would look a much more balanced team.
Foden should stay on the wing for a few more years. his explosiveness on the final third is needed for this team.

No.

They played exactly the opposite role. Grealish task is to attract as much defenders to create room on the opposite flank. And Mahrez task is to use this room after switch to finish. In recent podcast by Pol they discussed about how Mahrez enjoyed these switches which boosted his stats.

However - it is not the most efficient way to use our squad now after two new strikers joined. Mahrez is no longer the best finisher and the tactics should build on how to utilize the strikers instead of creating room for Mahrez.

I am not blaming him ...just saying we need a change. But Pep still used the same game plan today and it was not efficient today.
^^^ THIS

Weird one -

One of the things he gives our team is an element of control, an ability to slow the pace of a match and frustrate the opponent by manoeuvring them out of position to create openings. He's a solid bet for ball retention and recycling possession.

But -

He always looks at his best as an individual player when he's running at defences at full-pace, using his strength and close control to burst into space and make things happen, playing with confidence and joy and a bit of a snarl.

The eye-test says the individualist Jack is the £100m man, the one we see glimpses of but not enough, who gets us off our seats. It's pre-season Jack but it's also the Jack who came on in the CL semi, it's the Jack of that second half against West Ham, etc. Wind him up and set him off and watch what happens.

And we have heard Pep praise him for being aggressive.

But we've also heard Pep talk about him being a player he turns to when he wants to tighten the screw and get a match more under control. Which suggests that those skills that we don't find very exciting to watch are nonetheless things that are not only valued by the manager, but things that he's being explicitly told to do.

I think we've just got to find the right balance between those two sides of his game.

It looked today like the plan was to use the fullbacks for width and push the wingers in as a type of inside forward. I think over the course of the season we'll see that system start to click, especially if we can bring in a natural left-back.

I would like to see Jack's role allowing him to drop a little deeper, though, as I'm not sure we get the best of him playing up in the front line.

Of course this was a great game for the haters to pile in. They must have been so disappointed at how well Jack played those two pre-season games. Good news for them that he didn't manage to particularly shine in a game where everyone - with the exception of Alvarez - played average to poor.

My disappointment was that after what seemed to be promising progress during those two pre-season games, when Pep seemed to be making some progress in knowing how to use Grealish, even playing him with a proper LB against Bayern, this was back to what doesn't work: playing Grealish with Cancelo on the left with Cancelo too often in the same space.

The club need to buy an overlapping LB to enable Grealish to thrive or Pep needs to move things about to get the best out of him. If neither of those things are going to happen, just sell him for the love of God, to a team that will utilise him properly and where the fans will appreciate him. I'm sure it would be a relief to everyone.

I want Jack to suceed but I am surprised at how some people think that he has been told to play a very limited role. I do not believe that there is a precedent for that at Pep previous clubs where the wide attackers tended to get good goal and assist figures.
Nolito seemed to be more effective in his short time at the club.

If he isn’t happy with Grealish, I would ask why does he keep playing the same way? If you were Grealish and Pep was telling you that he isn’t happy with this pass back, negative dross, you would change, no? So either Grealish isn’t listening to Pep, or Pep is telling him to keep doing it. I struggle to imagine a scenario where Pep is telling him it’s not good enough, Grealish continues to ignore him but Pep picks him regardless.
Trying to play him into form

Plays most weeks for a title winning team with a star laden squad and still the cunts in the media, and sadly some blues too, try to perpetuate the myth that he had a disappointing season.

His conditioning was improved by today’s game so he had a successful game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.