10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn’t look like a forward in our system/style. Don’t think he suits it or he suits us in that position.

I don't think Grealish and Cancelo will ever really work well together against decent opposition as they both want to do the same thing and cut in from the left. Grealish would work better with a left footed left back overlapping and Cancelo would look better with a left footed midfield player ahead of him. Gives the opposition 2 different threats to defend against. Just as Mahrez needs a right footed full back to overlap him and give him more space to cut in from the right.

We need a left back to get the best out of him.

He remains unconvincing in a City shirt. Think he might be best as an impact player off the bench for us unless he gets himself to a higher level or we move him inside. He's not a winger and never was.

He is not far away from being a great threat, having an overlapping fullback will help reach the levels everyone expects. Cancelo is a great player but his movements are unpredictable as he more often than not drives inside.

Just a theory but we play a system that players have to fit into. That is why we are so formidable as a team rather than individual genius. I think it inhibits some players from their natural strengths. I expect Jesus to be a big hit as Arsenal allow him more freedom. Maybe Grealish is struggling with the Pep method.

Just a theory but we play a system that players have to fit into. That is why we are so formidable as a team rather than individual genius. I think it inhibits some players from their natural strengths. I expect Jesus to be a big hit as Arsenal allow him more freedom. Maybe Grealish is struggling with the Pep method.
Maybe he was far too overrated at Villa?

He looked very good in a very average team.

He is clearly talented but I think many over value what he will bring to us even if he hits peak form.

So you spend £100m on a flair player but then want to muzzle his "natural strengths"? That makes absolutely no sense. And if that's what City did do, with the understanding that's what Pep intended, it was a really stupid move.

I'm going to try and have some faith for a bit longer that City did know what they were doing buying Grealish and that Pep has a plan for him that will see him able to utilise his strengths and justify the price City paid for him. I'm sure no one wants that more than Jack himself. Presumably they know at least part of the problem is the mismatch with Cancelo, which is why they've been trying to buy a LB to overlap and also do a decent job defensively, which will free Jack up to do his job, rather than having Cancelo in his space and also have Jack spending half his time on the pitch doing defensive work covering for Cancelo. (Surely I wasn't the only one to notice Jack was the one winning a ground duel with Salah yesterday in the LB's area of the pitch?)

So, in order for our £100m player to operate we need to:
Give him a season to settle
Then
Buy a £50m overlapping left back to accommodate him
And/or
Play him in MF
And/or
Change the way we play
And/or
Take the shakles of him....

But apart from that, some random stats show last season he was the 5th best player at advancing the ball who's name begins with J?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.