10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing rumours that we'd sell him to fund a Bellingham move but that doesn't seem to make much sense financially as his sale alone wouldn't fund Bellingham and we'd need to spend a hefty chunk to replace him on the wing as well.

I'm willing him to succeed for City, partly for the money we've spent but mostly because I believe he can do it, and although I understand the value of goals and assists and want him to get more, I think he offers something important beyond those contributions in the way he helps us exert control over an opponent. Matches without him always seem much more likely to descend into chaos.

For England, he gets the last 15 or 20 minutes of most matches, with the requirement to help hold a lead (which obviously he gets no credit for achieving because the the work to go ahead was done earlier by other players) or turnaround a losing or drawing position (which he did so effectively in the Euros against Germany, but England rarely find themselves desperately needing late goals in matches they actually care about so the need for this is infrequent). He's always going to look like a bit player for the national team because that's what he's treated as.

It's very hard to tell where his career goes from here. Did he find his level at Villa, the star man in a poorer team where almost everything was centred around him and the freedom that gave him? Or can he settle into a better side where he isn't central to everything and start making an impact? At the moment time is ticking against him and his displays so far point to the former rather than the latter. He comes across as a lovely lad and there's no doubting his talent but assists and goals are what's needed now for club and country. As others have said he's 28 now and should be at his peak and positively affecting games. Unfortunately he flatters to decieve. Fingers crossed for the lad.

He’s not 28 now mate - he just turned 27 in September.

I agree he should be at his peak, but let’s not age him prematurely - he's just got an extra year to prove himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.