10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I have noticed about Jack a little when he’s with us but more so with England. I don’t think he has to mentality to be a star player in a star team.

He certainly has the ability but I genuinely think he is just happy to be involved at this level and still shocked and overwhelmed that he is.

He seems content to be a cameo player and contribute when he can rather than getting the hump with the limited time he got.

I used to think it about Phil but recently he has expressed disappointment in not playing where as Jack is still doing interviews praising his positional rivals.

His ability can contribute more than Sterling could yet the latter becomes a slapped arse whenever he’s not the main man.

Their mentalities need to switch. Maybe that’s the downside of people a nice guy.

One thing I have noticed about Jack a little when he’s with us but more so with England. I don’t think he has to mentality to be a star player in a star team.

He certainly has the ability but I genuinely think he is just happy to be involved at this level and still shocked and overwhelmed that he is.

He seems content to be a cameo player and contribute when he can rather than getting the hump with the limited time he got.

I used to think it about Phil but recently he has expressed disappointment in not playing where as Jack is still doing interviews praising his positional rivals.

His ability can contribute more than Sterling could yet the latter becomes a slapped arse whenever he’s not the main man.

Their mentalities need to switch. Maybe that’s the downside of people a nice guy.
I think it must bother him.

At least at City he knows that if he's fit and training well he'll get his chances, he may not start every match but there are plenty of starts to be had, he just needs to work hard, follow the manager's plan and show his quality whenever he can.

For England - and I hope I'm wrong here - I don't think he'll ever start a meaningful tournament match under Southgate. Every other possible option would have to be injured. Southgate doesn't seem to trust him, but will give him 20 or 30 minutes at the end of a few matches almost just to keep pundits and public off his back for not playing him.

I think Southgate sees him as a luxury player, a maverick who can't be contained by a system and can't be relied on to do what he's told (and I think one of the reasons he joined City was to prove to the England set-up that he can fit into a system and follow instructions).

I find it massively frustrating because England always seem to play with more purpose and cohesion when he's on the pitch.

I get the feeling that Jack knows that any public expression of displeasure at his playing time for England would result in him being painted as a troublemaker, a problem in the dressing room, and someone difficult for the manager to work with.

Play him in midfield next to Foden on the wing (or swap it).

Rice and Henderson combo is redundant so deep.

Very difficult line to tread in when you're not being picked in a team tournament. Act to nice about it and it makes everyone think you're not bothered. Complain and you're not a team player. Phil only seemed to mention his disappointed when he'd played well and was pretty much nailed on to start the next game. Also he's the best English player since Gasgoigne and Southgate was a dick for leaving him out.

His brief showings off the bench are a bit like watching him for us. Wants the ball ,looks comfortable with it, hangs on to it too long and gets fouled. Where is the impact.
He's 28 next year and should be at his peak as player. I agree, he always looks impactful without actually making an impact. Being charismatic and a nice bloke ain't enough, especially given his bonkers transfer fee ( ok, ok not his fault). He seems to pop up on every photo opportunity, smiling and being a cheeky Chappy but rarely does anything memorable on the pitch ( though that control and goal from the pass from Foden was special). I would love to be proved wrong, but he looks likes being an' entertaining' player without being ever becoming one to live long in the memory. Apart from his adolescent flamboyant lifestyle away from the pitch of course.

It's very hard to tell where his career goes from here. Did he find his level at Villa, the star man in a poorer team where almost everything was centred around him and the freedom that gave him? Or can he settle into a better side where he isn't central to everything and start making an impact? At the moment time is ticking against him and his displays so far point to the former rather than the latter. He comes across as a lovely lad and there's no doubting his talent but assists and goals are what's needed now for club and country. As others have said he's 28 now and should be at his peak and positively affecting games. Unfortunately he flatters to decieve. Fingers crossed for the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.