10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be mad, but I think this game will be a turning point for Jacky G. In the second half it seemed he had loads more confidence. If he carries that confidence with him, Pep will be hailed, once again, as a genius.

For what it’s worth, I think WNRH has a point. Grealish sometimes doesn’t do enough and the fact that he got two assists tonight proves he has a final product in him which might make all the rest of it a bit frustrating. Fine.

But it’s a bit harsh to be giving him shit on the night he has produced an end product. He gets enough shit on games he doesn’t, not particularly ‘fair’ to give it him when he does.

Two assists is merely papering over the cracks. Grealish was dreadful first half and has been mostly underwhelming since being here. He's simply not doing enough when he's playing. And I'm sick of hearing , "he gets fouled and wins us tackles, "we haven't lost when he's played ", "is a nice guy and does lots for charity"- bla bla bla. He isn't suited to us and was a dreadful buy. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong but right now he isn't doing enough or done enough. Many thought ( myself included) Sterling was frustrating, he was, but Sterling scored and assisted in many important goals. WTF has grealish done thus far apart from prance about aimlessly? Not a lot IMHO.

Surely it would be more relevent to see what the club would do in that scenario ?

Pretty sure that he is playing the role that Pep wants, which is much more important than the opinions of a section of the fans.
I wasn't basing it on levels of importance or relevance, more on fans opinions.
Its kinda interesting to get their perspective, I mean nobody would sell KDB, Rodrigo or Erling would they.

Awful first half,as bad as i've seen him.....but he decided that wasn't going to affect him or define him,and he produced tremendous character and quality in the second.

Having not been anywhere near this or the match thread prior to this contribution,i can only imagine the rubbing of hands and the vitriol that was aimed at him by those that want him to fail - You must be gutted.

Awful first half,as bad as i've seen him.....but he decided that wasn't going to affect him or define him,and he produced tremendous character and quality in the second.

Having not been anywhere near this or the match thread prior to this contribution,i can only imagine the rubbing of hands and the vitriol that was aimed at him by those that want him to fail - You must be gutted.
I would imagine he got a rocket from Pep and it worked, said before Grealish is far too passive , when aggressive he is a player.

Wants him to fail? No blue i know wants him to fail, why would they? But he is failing, failing to deliver and live up to the hype, and that's a fact. Many thought Grealish would kick on from last season and he's doing no better. If anything he's become easier to work out for defenders. He can't beat a man, no turn of pace, offloads the ball soon as he can with square and backwards passes. 3 good chances squandered and 2 assists because he has no confidence to score. Sterling was a frustrating player( like I've said) but he was fast paced and delivered plenty of goals and assists, should have had more but I'm digressing now.

I want to see Grealish putting In MOTM displays and making things happen when he comes off the bench, but sadly I'm not seeing that. With the skills Grealish has it's as though we're being short changed, it feels like he's taking the piss when he's playing passively in making easy passes. Sorry, but unlike some I cannot praise mediocrity...

Last edited:
First half especially, Leeds had 2 or 3 players on him every time he had the ball, leaving him with nowhere to go but back into defence. When we make him hug the touchline, a persistent multi-player press can cut off all the progressive angles.

I'd assume the best way to deal with this would be for him to pass to the defence and the defence to bring the ball forward with speed and accuracy into the spaces vacated by those Leeds players being tight to Jack.

Unfortunately, Ake and Akanji, despite their other qualities, aren't really the players for incisive line-breaking passes, and Stones was very wide on the right, making passes from the left wing to him risky due to the press a lot of the time.

So Jack passes back to the defence, they pass it between themselves and by the time they start moving forward, Leeds are back in shape and we've lost our overload.

When we allow Jack in off the wing a little more, he has more options and is more effective, but that's not without its risk to our shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.