10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a bit gutting really. I really want him to do well, he comes across as a smashing lad.

Last night was the perfect platform for him to shine: no de Bruyne, no Bernardo, no Mahrez, no Haaland… Jack should have been the man last night, it was on him to make things happen for us, 27 years old, a leaders age, in his prime, huge hype, huge hope for him from our fanbase, there’s supposed to be this great player in there that we’re all waiting to be unleashed… yet he made almost nothing happen.

He didn’t try and make the game his own, he barely came looking for the ball outside his own comfort zone, when he did get the ball he didn’t go at the full back enough, too safe, whenever he got into space he just telegraphed what he was going to do and it got blocked like usual.

I think that’s the most disappointed I’ve been with him since he signed for us.

He wasn’t shit, it’s not like he’s got no quality or gives it away all the time or owt… he just doesn't do enough.
He's never been shit, just so underwhelming, sometimes despite the best efforts of all involved, transfers simply don't work, sadly I think this is one of them.

I could see him going to Newcastle and ripping it up, i's just the way football works at times.

I think Grealish and Philips are both good PL players and are useful squad players for us.

The reality is that both players were playing for lower half PL clubs in their mid-20s with zero experience of European football. They were never going to take us to the next level. They are the signings you make to try and break into the top 4, not signings to conquer Europe.
Fucking £100 million for a lower level league player !Our recruiting team should be banished .

No doubt Grealish is struggling to play anywhere near his best while hugging the line. He does play better on the inside almost between the width of the penalty area. Will Pep ever release him and let him roam I rather doubt it.
Yeah agree amazing why we brought him to play in different position. I suspect we will never get to know how good he could have been.

He's never been shit, just so underwhelming, sometimes despite the best efforts of all involved, transfers simply don't work, sadly I think this is one of them.

I could see him going to Newcastle and ripping it up, i's just the way football works at times.
He is following instruction it’s as simple as that. It’s not that long since he delivered a three point assist.

He is following instruction it’s as simple as that. It’s not that long since he delivered a three point assist.
No mate. That excuse has long gone and you're pretty much raving about him having one half decent performance vs Leeds
For almost the first time with us he got on the end of goal scoring opportunities and fluffed them all badly
The second half he produced two good assists. We have players that do that every fucking game
Pogba was a world beater at united one game in ten. At the moment we'd be happy if Grealish showed anything like that level of consistency
He's been a terrible transfer for us and it's been a very poor move footballing wise for him

It really struck me in that post-match interview he gave the other night (after Chelsea I think) where he talked about at Villa his instructions being to sniff out the opportunities and go where he felt he could have an impact.

That he was able to do that at the level he did suggests there's a pretty good footballing brain in there.

And that he came to City and abandoned that approach in favour of slotting in with Pep's tactical plan, following instructions and doing his bit for the team suggests a refreshing and perhaps surprising lack of ego.

I get why Pep and his teammates like him. He's steady and reliable and they know what he's likely to do because it's what he's been told.

But I think it's fucked his confidence. Playing on intuition for so long and then abandoning it for a more rigid approach has him second-guessing that intuition every time he's in a position to use it. You can see him thinking, wondering if what his instinct to do is what Pep wants of him or if there's something else he should be doing.

He looks at his best when he doesn't slow down to think, but unfortunately our team is being set up to be slow a lot of the time.

Not sure what the answer is. I really do believe he's a very talented player who adds something to our game, but I don't think we've seen him at his best for City.

I hope we've got him working with a sports psychologist, at least.

After which, didn’t he say that Pep has been telling him to be more direct and positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.