10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without wanting to be all "he could have killed him" about it, that shove from Carvajal was diabolical. Sure football is a contact sport and I have no problem with players using their physicality, but I don't see how something like that isn't a straight red. It's not a harmless shove, he's pushed someone running at full pelt into some hoardings. It's not a tussle and there's no attempt to play the ball, its just a straight up attempt to hurt someone. It's way more dangerous than the kind of bad tackle you'd see someone sent off for.

Just glad he isn’t out for the season after that game.

That shove from Carvajal was horrifyingly despicable. What an absolute moronic ref to not see how blatant of a cheap shot that was in time. Then he had the audacity to bring the two together to send a warning to both. Embarrassing.

Grealish kept his composure there. A slap to the wrist is the least that scumbag deserved.

Man if that was a Mahrez performance he’d be getting ragged.

I wanted Riyad and Phil tonight.

I've loved watching Jack in the league for us this season but I'm not sure we can get away with playing an attacker with virtually no end product against teams like Real Madrid.

We looked completely toothless in attack for most of the game and that's not all on Jack but I'd still prefer to have a player who makes things happen more consistently in the final third on nights like that.

Jack's easily distracted into playing in a sub-plot game of fouls and retribution, thereby becoming ineffective. Madrid 'played' him last night.

Man if that was a Mahrez performance he’d be getting ragged.
Understanding the finer points of what is needed in a particular game is clearly not your forte - No coincidence that Real - who usually have a field day attacking an opponents left side - were kept quiet at home in one of the seasons biggest game down that flank. Jack focussed on making sure Manuel was not exposed and his work rate was phenomenal.

They doubled up on him when we had the ball which tells me how much of a threat they thought he was. Last night it was about work and team first. Maybe Riyad & Phil should have come on for a short time but I have no issue keeping hold of the away draw and Jack & Bernardo were big parts of that defensive effort.

Understanding the finer points of what is needed in a particular game is clearly not your forte - No coincidence that Real - who usually have a field day attacking an opponents left side - were kept quiet at home in one of the seasons biggest game down that flank. Jack focussed on making sure Manuel was not exposed and his work rate was phenomenal.

They doubled up on him when we had the ball which tells me how much of a threat they thought he was. Last night it was about work and team first. Maybe Riyad & Phil should have come on for a short time but I have no issue keeping hold of the away draw and Jack & Bernardo were big parts of that defensive effort.

Defensive effort great, attacking threat not so good.

I think Jack and Bernardo were both sensible picks for a conservative team with the handbrake on but we can't afford another team performance like that at the Etihad.

Defensive effort great, attacking threat not so good.

I think Jack and Bernardo were both sensible picks for a conservative team with the handbrake on but we can't afford another team performance like that at the Etihad.
But what if that was the plan all along for the two legs?

It seemed quite clear to me, that we were attacking conservatively and taking very few risks with the ball, to avoid turnovers and the counter attacks that Madrid are lethal at.

Foden and Mahrez are great attacking players, but both are therefore likely to turn the ball over a lot more than Grealish.

2nd leg will likely be slightly more risky, with one of the above perhaps starting.

Swear some blues aren't happy unless it's a toe to toe game with chance after chance at either end. That mentality is largely the reason we come unstuck in this competition.

2nd leg will likely be slightly more risky, with one of the above perhaps starting.

That's what I expect and hope to see.

We can't afford to play like that over 180 minutes against Real Madrid. We were so much worse than we were against them last season and they still came away with the win.

So yeah, I can back playing conservatively at the Bernabeau in the first leg but when we're at home we need to have more bite to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.