10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts are that he, as he always does work hard. But it’s easy for that to mask how poor his contribution offensively was & let’s face it - that’s what he’s there for. Once Carvajal was on a yellow he should have been testing him & it wasn’t there. Hard work is fine in day to day Prem games. Against the elite teams in the best club competition in the world it’s nowhere near enough. Pep should have switched to Doku way before he did. It took him 4mins to influence the game!
No blame here on Jack - just my observations. This lad is City Marmite!

Last edited:
Very good performance but in this team he has to do more in that final third, score or create.

Seems to be a lot saying he had a good performance last night. He should no way be the scape goat for last nights loss. But what if anything did he offer last night that warranted a "good" performance.

Seems to be a lot saying he had a good performance last night. He should no way be the scape goat for last nights loss. But what if anything did he offer last night that warranted a "good" performance.
He kept the ball, superb workrate and took the game to them.

But he HAS to do more in goals/assists, has to.

My thoughts are that he, as he always does worked hard. But it’s easy for that to mask how poor his contribution offensively was & let’s face it - that’s what he’s there for. Once Carvajal was on a yellow he should have been testing him & it wasn’t there. Hard work is fine in day to day Prem games. Against the elite teams in the best club competition in the world it’s nowhere near enough. Pep should have switched to Doku way before he did. It took him 4mins to influence the game!
No blame here on Jack - just my observations. This lad is City Marmite!

Sometimes it looks like a mental block rather than ability because it's like he always second guesses himself. I mentioned previously in the thread that he looks much more comfortable when he drifts inside now and again and he seems to feel confident taking a player on, but when he is out on the left he seems to second guess himself and the play the easy option. that might just be because he's simply not a natural left winger and never was before he come here.

Like his shooting, it's like he's afraid of missing the target so he'll overcompensate and put almost every shot right into the middle of the goal. Even most of his goals have squeezed underneath the keeper.

I'm one of his biggest supporters and I think he makes us a better team in general. Sometimes I think he just needs to trust his ability a bit more because he's capable.

Then again, others could say we've been having this conversation for 3 seasons now and you couldn't really argue against it.

He kept the ball, superb workrate and took the game to them.

But he HAS to do more in goals/assists, has to.

I agree he kept the ball well but disagree that he took the game to them. He had Carvajal on a yellow and after that never tried once to go past him. When Doku came on it showed Jack exactly what he should have been doing running at the players and dragging the defense wide.
Yes he needs more goals and assists but he also needs to stop slowing the game down.

I agree he kept the ball well but disagree that he took the game to them. He had Carvajal on a yellow and after that never tried once to go past him. When Doku came on it showed Jack exactly what he should have been doing running at the players and dragging the defense wide.
Yes he needs more goals and assists but he also needs to stop slowing the game down.
I agree but also Doku came on to the pitch to a tiring Carvajal, that's a huge advantage.

But I will agree a wide player should be beating his fullback and creating chances or scoring, Grealish simply does not do that enough.

Doku came on to the pitch to a tiring Carvajal, that's a huge advantage.
If Doku was on the pitch from the start of the match, Carvajal would have been on red before halftime. Doku was a nightmare for him. What they did to us and our defenders, we should have did to them. That left side was shiting bricks and all over the place. I doubt Madrid would have been able to counter us and be able to get into their defensive shape and defend us quick enough. We got the ball too slow up the pitch and that helped them to set up nicely against and soak up the pressure. With Doku, we saw how chaotic it got for them.

If Doku was on the pitch from the start of the match, Carvajal would have been on red before halftime. Doku was a nightmare for him. What they did to us and our defenders, we should have did to them. That left side was shiting bricks and all over the place. I doubt Madrid would have been able to counter us and be able to get into their defensive shape and defend us quick enough. We got the ball too slow up the pitch and that helped them to set up nicely against and soak up the pressure. With Doku, we saw how chaotic it got for them.
I honestly don’t think Carvajal would have seen a red card if he’d been playing for a fortnight. When Doku came on for Grealish there were times Carvajal was wrestling poor Doku, at one stage he was almost on his back and the referee didn’t so much as give City a free kick. I was blowing my top shouting this isn’t WWE. Far too much holding, pushing, grabbing shirts and the referee letting it go. So, although they were in that dark strip, it seems Real Madrid are whiter than white in some eyes.

Id like to try Doku and Grealish on the left sometimes. Grealish to either by out wide and feed Doku's darting runs into the box or Grealish to play inside Doku. Both need to be involved in more goals. Doku seems hungrier though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.