10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to discuss the word "creativity".

Googling it, it says Creativity is the ability to develop and express ourselves and our ideas in new ways.

Regardless of how you feel about Jack Grealish's place in the team, how he effects our general play, what he brings and what he doesn't bring. Do you guys think he "develops new ways to express himself and his ideas" on the pitch on a somewhat regular basis?

I have to say, out of most of our players, he's one of few that least "reinvents" himself. The way he expresses himself on a football pitch is remarkably predictable. He's the one player that I never find myself saying "oh that's new. that's something i've never seen from him before" in any given game. Every other player has the capacity to surprise me. I am not DARING to compare him to doku, because obviously doku is the new and shiny toy. But I wanna compare it to his companion on the other side of the pitch, bernardo. They are both similar in that they aren't 1v1, beat your man with pace wingers. They are both ball retainers. they carry the ball. But I can't remember the last match bernardo had that he didn't do something unexpected. Something that I didn't foresee coming in advance.

I believe jack has all the ability in the world, but I think his lack of intent to do anything unexpected, different or inventive is a *huge* liability in his game. If it's a mental one, it's one that he has to do all he can to overcome, because the absolute worst thing you can be in football is predictable. You might as well not show up. And last night, his fullback had the simplest job in the world. Not the easiest job, but the simplest job. Because knowing that your winger isn't going to do anything you are not expecting means the pool of things to look out for is small. And Jack cannot allow this to happen. You can be the best technical dribbler in the world and you will lose the ball every time in that situation.

Anyway I believe in him, but I think there's a real issue in that part of the game that we mustn't defer to "injuries"/"no pre season"/"one bad game"/"look at his last season".

Curious to learn what it is that you've seen from Bernardo in the last year, that you haven't seen from him before?

Unreal on the ball, works his socks off, and has the ability to beat a man from the left hand side and play the most perfectly weighted ball outside the full back for De Bruyne to run onto.

What makes a top player is them doing the basics incredibly well, consistently.

Thats also what Grealish does. The problem is, those that are expecting him to score 10-15 goals a season, you'll never get that from him, and Pep of all people will be content with that.

It's the subtle things. Every game i see attempts at different kinds of movements. different tempo to the game. small one twos you didn't expect. It doesn't have to be "something you've never seen before". But it's something at that particular moment you didn't expect him to do. I don't get those with grealish, at all. He's the one player constantly I can tell you what's going to happen in the next 5 seconds when he has the ball. And yes, one of those things could be even the best thing he should do in that position.

Really don't see how that's a difficult point to grasp

I will also politely disagree with grealish doing the basics "incredibly well, consistently" - I would argue that he's rather inconsistent and often doesn't do the basics well, like last night.

Last night, his fullback had the simplest job in the world. Not the easiest job, but the simplest job. Because knowing that your winger isn't going to do anything you are not expecting means the pool of things to look out for is small. And Jack cannot allow this to happen. You can be the best technical dribbler in the world and you will lose the ball every time in that situation.
Grealish gave Carvajal Upamecano Tomiyasu and Dumfries a difficult job in his good days. So I don't care that much how he does in a Carabao cup game.

Regarding the world creativity, do you think that pass to Halaand vs Sheffield Utd a creative one? Just asking.

Grealish gave Carvajal Upamecano Tomiyasu and Dumfries a difficult job in his good days. So I don't care that much how he does in a Carabao cup game.

Regarding the world creativity, do you think that pass to Halaand vs Sheffield Utd a creative one? Just asking.
Yes, I do! I think that was a good showing of creativity from him. Up until that point in the match he was very poor, that was very noticably the first time that match he decided to switch it up and went on the outside. Not a coincidence! It was mental, that shows its not about his abilities. When he decided to do something different and creative it worked great. I just want him to be more creative and inventive.

And I didn't say he didn't give his fullback a difficult time. I said he gave them a simple time. Something can be simple (i.e not complex) yet difficult. If I asked you to stand in one place for 20 hours, that'd be an example of something simple (you literally just have to stand) but difficult to do.

Yes, I do! I think that was a good showing of creativity from him. Up until that point in the match he was very poor, that was very noticably the first time that match he decided to switch it up and went on the outside. Not a coincidence! It was mental, that shows its not about his abilities. When he decided to do something different and creative it worked great. I just want him to be more creative and inventive.
I think the same but I doubt if it will happen. Yeah it was mental. He really does not need to pass everytime when Rodri asks for the ball. Look at that clip. Rodri was asking the ball and Grealish disobeyed for the first time LOL.

Think you’ll find it worked just fine last year, and most likely if that’s what Pep wants will work just fine again this year. Anyone expecting Pep to want the same things from Doku and Grealish are going to be disappointed…..again.
Never said I wanted the same as Doku.
I want him to stop slowing down play and running down blind alleys but if that’s what gets you off. Each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.