10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

We scored a total of 4 goals vs Real Madrid.

One came from a set piece he won.

One assist.

Grealish is not a goal scorer for sure. But saying no contribution is a bit unfair. Actually much more than our striker.
I didn't say no contribution
Gets far too much praise for lackluster performances where he offers nothing. Which is always the case when we are playing against a team parking the bus. The defender is on a yellow at least try and go past him and not just stand there doing pointless step overs to then pass the ball back 10 yards.
We need to be stretching the defense to allow Haaland room to run into. If our wingers are going to keep bringing the ball inside time to revert back to a false 9.
Hmmm...brave man

I’ll get pelters for this if I’m wrong, but Pep clearly believes in him so who knows…I believe Jack could turn into a world class footballer in the next couple of years. But he needs to want it enough. And to get a bit of luck. Something that’s escaped him for most of this season.

I’ll get pelters for this if I’m wrong, but Pep clearly believes in him so who knows…I believe Jack could turn into a world class footballer in the next couple of years. But he needs to want it enough. And to get a bit of luck. Something that’s escaped him for most of this season.
I'd argue he's already world class. Started all the big games in a treble winning side last season.

Just wish his end product was a bit better. He's a phenomenal chance creator but should probably be scoring more goals. Haaland played him in yesterday and he took one touch too many and got his shot blocked by Rudiger - if he put that one away we're in the semi-finals for UCL.

If Doku was on the pitch from the start of the match, Carvajal would have been on red before halftime. Doku was a nightmare for him. What they did to us and our defenders, we should have did to them. That left side was shiting bricks and all over the place. I doubt Madrid would have been able to counter us and be able to get into their defensive shape and defend us quick enough. We got the ball too slow up the pitch and that helped them to set up nicely against and soak up the pressure. With Doku, we saw how chaotic it got for them.
But did we not used to do that in the past with the likes of Sterling and Sane, and for me it was better to watch and we created chances for fun.

With the players we are linked with in the transfer window it looks like that style of play could and hopefully will be returning.

While his general level of play has been decent, there is no end product to 90% of his on ball contribution.

He rarely has the pace to get past anyone, it’s clear he can’t cross on his left, unless you’re looking for a 9 iron to the back stick, and his goal scoring is virtually non-existent.

In short, if we could find an academy product who doesn’t give the ball away very often, we might get to recoup HALF of that ridiculous transfer fee. Oh wait, we signed another guy and then there’s Oscar Bobb itching to get in the team!

He can be integral to build up play, but he is mainly a recycler of the ball backwards and inside, flicked with the outside of his right foot.

All of our wingers need to learn how to make a half yard of space from nothing, so they can get a ball across the front of the goal towards the far post.

Hate to even mention their name, but Fergie’s United were masters of overwhelming defence, especially late on, by pummeling them with crosses from the far corner of the 18 yd box. KDB does it and is considered a genius, but Bernardo, Bobb, Foden, Doku, Alvarez, and even Grealish should be able to play that ball for attackers crashing the six yard box and far post.

Sadly, though, we rarely put THAT ball into the box, because we just don’t like to give up possession of the ball and the potential for a counterattack. However, sooner or later, we do give up the ball trying to snake our way in there, and are are still susceptible to that same counter if we are committed forward.

Think we look like a better team when he's on the pitch, for whatever that's worth, that's enough for me

Yes his contribution to goals/assists is lacking, but that isn't gonna change now, he is what he is. Interestingly Bernardo gets ssoooo much praise (which is 100% deserved, not digging out Bernardo) when his output for goals/assists is also pretty low. Not saying Jack is as good, but find it interesting the output debate isn't brought up as much for Bernie, yes Bernie doesn't always play as a winger but he does a lot and also plays a lot closer to goal than Jack does and Jack has to hug the wing

He's not getting sold, he's in his prime years, and for when it's not working we have Doku, who has his strengths and also has his weaknesses, available to mix things up

He's clearly not average, but he's also not a winger who's gonna be putting in MOTM performances and scoring goals left right and centre like you'd expect a "world class winger" to do

But again, think our general shape looks better when he's on the pitch

Some players achieve magic themselves, and some create the conditions that allow others to create the magic. He is a superb player, and @handsofstone nails it when he says that we are a better team with him on the pitch. Now, it is about balance though, and if you have two players like Jack on both wings, it can be more predictable than you would like. I think you need a player like Jack to help to create the overloads that other, perhaps more dynamic players can exploit.

"I believe Jack could turn into a world class footballer in the next couple of years"

Have we not been saying the same for 3 seasons?

Without doubt he is a huge, huge talent and a top lad on and off the pitch but he is a forward that creates little and scores even less in the best club side in Europe.

He has to do more and let's not kid ourselves after a superb last season, this year he's been poor, the last few weeks apart.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.