10 | Jack Grealish - 2024/25

I find it quite strange to suggest Jack in our creative mid when we have seen hundreds of times what he does when he turns inside:

he doesn't have his head up to screen the pitch 360,
he can't decide quick enough to pass or to shoot,
he isn't aggressive enough to get into the box as he doesn't trust his own finish or
he runs across the field or back to defence with no impact to then do a 5 yard pass and stroll back to where he came from.
Pep must have seen it in training a thousand times.

He doesn't have the vision nor the quick decision making you need in a tighter mid vs deep sitting and pressing teams. We know all that. He cannot change anymore, it's not realistic to set your hope on that.

He will have to do what no other winger for us can do to keep his minutes up:
use his strong body, play with high work rate and high control at the same time. Those are his assets and he should focus exactly on that. We have seen how good and important he is when he does that. We have others to score.
I agree with most of that. Jack is a superb asset in those tight games against the best opposition when we need to keep the ball. His best performances have been in away European matches when we are under pressure. He is not particularly creative at breaking down defences when we are on top. He is not a David Silva or KDB but that doesn't mean he will not be important for us this season.

I agree with most of that. Jack is a superb asset in those tight games against the best opposition when we need to keep the ball. His best performances have been in away European matches when we are under pressure. He is not particularly creative at breaking down defences when we are on top. He is not a David Silva or KDB but that doesn't mean he will not be important for us this season.
Then it is up to Pep to find a way to make him more useful (or develop some other aspects etc) in those games against avg teams if it is the plan. Because it is not realistic to only use him against big teams at the end of the season - impossible for him to keep rhythm and impossible for teammates to build understanding and passing habits. It needs time for the backline to adjust to how to operate with a controlling winger - if it is the role.

However I find it might not always be the case. Grealish played best against Real, Utd and Crystal Palace last season. Among them Utd and Palace played quite defensively. It is difficult to find a team sitting deeper than palace. And he was somehow more creative than ever against them. Sheffield Utd another similar case. When they were on their front foot Grealish was avg but when they retreated he suddenly became dangerous. So I think that it might not really a low block thing but more down to form tactics teammates or formation etc.

Then it is up to Pep to find a way to make him more useful (or develop some other aspects etc) in those games against avg teams if it is the plan. Because it is not realistic to only use him against big teams at the end of the season - impossible for him to keep rhythm and impossible for teammates to build understanding and passing habits. It needs time for the backline to adjust to how to operate with a controlling winger - if it is the role.

However I find it might not always be the case. Grealish played best against Real, Utd and Crystal Palace last season. Among them Utd and Palace played quite defensively. It is difficult to find a team sitting deeper than palace. And he was somehow more creative than ever against them. Sheffield Utd another similar case. When they were on their front foot Grealish was avg but when they retreated he suddenly became dangerous. So I think that it might not really a low block thing but more down to form tactics teammates or formation etc.
Perhaps encouragingly for futute endeavours, the left-back in all the games you listed was Gvardiol. Maybe there's an understanding developing there.

I find it quite strange to suggest Jack in our creative mid when we have seen hundreds of times what he does when he turns inside:

he isn't aggressive enough to get into the box as he doesn't trust his own finish or
he runs across the field or back to defence with no impact to then do a 5 yard pass and stroll back to where he came from.

He doesn't have the vision nor the quick decision making you need in a tighter mid vs deep sitting and pressing teams. We know all that. He cannot change anymore, it's not realistic to set your hope on that.

use his strong body, play with high work rate and high control at the same time. Those are his assets and he should focus exactly on that. We have seen how good and important he is when he does that. We have others to score.
So what options do we have? Use him as a fullback?

He also played very well away at Copenhagen until he was injured.

Talk about bending the truth. Palace under Glasner were anything but defensive, they went right at us, pressed us high, repeatedly won the ball back or forced errors in our own half, should have scored a hat full and had the game won by halftime but for poor finishing and a few decent saves. Wasn't just against us either, they were one of the most attacking teams in the league once Glasner got his team setup how he wanted, was always loads of goals in any game involving palace under him. Complete fabrication to suggest you won't find a team that sit deeper than palace. People will seemingly just make up anything to suit them.

Perhaps encouragingly for futute endeavours, the left-back in all the games you listed was Gvardiol. Maybe there's an understanding developing there.
Gvardiol was subbed off at halftime in that Palace game, one of his worst performances for city, akanji played left back second half and was excellent.

And yet Pep, the greatest manager in this history of the game; has continued to select him over the last few years when he's fit.

If only Pep could see what you see in Jack....

So what options do we have? Use him as a fullback?
Funny you ;)
I don't like Jack's 1v1 defending or pressing moves too much,
but he offers a lot of work rate to support our LB against top opponents when stability is key. In the moment Jack's intensity drops he has not much to offer for the team. Control, fouls, yeah.

He is just a unique option in our tool box. Pep knows exactly when to use him and when to pick more aggressive wingers.

Err, but he doesn't play him in the mid. Think you misread my post.
I did, and it was basically just another attribute assassination, but rebadged this time to show why he can't play centrally.

You've basically hammered him for his current role in the side, and simultaneously explained your reasoning why he he can't play centrally.

And as I said before, it's a shame Pep can't see the same flaws in his game, as we'd clearly be much better off...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.