10% of Rags want City to win the derby

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Sad Pie said:
james1910 said:
about 20 years we beat leeds 4-0 at maine rd
none off us knew what to do as from the look off it we had given the rags the pot!!!
but as we all hate leeds and leeds the rags fucked it up anyway!!
but never ever ever will i wish to lost to them!!!
I remember being at that game with Lancet Fluke, mixed emotions, nah. It was a game we wanted to win despite the consequences. I'm sure that was when Leeds ripped out all the seats.
The rags don't know what they want, arguing in the ranks, it's lovely isn't it
Totally agree mate. The Kippax was rocking that day. No mixed feelings at all.

That was a fantastic day, we absolutely destroyed them. If i remember rightly we did it again about 3 months later at the start of the following season.

Ifwecouldjust....... said:
SPIDERBOY said:
jimharri said:
I usually use the word ''vermin''. It has a ring to it.

Am I right in saying,it was actually themselves who knicknamed themselves rags........many years ago?

From Gary James - Manchester the Greatest City

It appears the name was given to them by their own fans.

During the 1930-31 season, United were in a wretched state. The club teetered on the brink of bankruptcy and were attracting crowds of less than 4,000 for some games - despite still being in Division 1.

Harry Hughes, a City fan working in Trafford, tells this story:

“I worked in Trafford then, and all the locals were United fans. I was working nights and when Saturday morning arrived a couple of them asked ‘are you going to see the Rags today?’ I didn’t know what that meant, and then they explained that United fans had started to call their own team the ‘Rags’ because they were so poor and that their kit looked liked rags. So after that I knew who they meant, but when I mentioned the Rags, they’d go, ‘who the Hell are you talking about?’ They didn’t like the opposition saying it.”

The poor level of support continued throughout the 1930s. When war broke out in 1939 an immediate ban was placed on the assembly of large crowds. The joke doing the rounds in Manchester was that United would have nothing to worry about.

I'm not disputing GJ but my Gran always said they were called the RAGS because they qualified for a final and couldn't afford a new kit so (once again) they came cap in hand to City and we either loaned them a kit or paid for one from our kit suppliers who made it from offcuts and remnants

I don't remember that term being used in the 90's and it is a shit term. I never call them 'the rags', it's just an internet made up thing really to compensate for more unsavoury names a lot of City fand referred to them as.

Ditto 'the swamp' what a crap nickname for thier ground. Sounds like something a five year old would say.

Nearly as cringe worthy as their cITY or Council house jibes, the bunch of fucking no marks.

Just been chatting to 2 rags in work, neither of whom will be there, and they both want to lose. They think if they win, the title is Liverpool's!

quiet_riot said:
Just been chatting to 2 rags in work, neither of whom will be there, and they both want to lose. They think if they win, the title is Liverpool's!
Can we hope for a few dodgy pass backs from them ala Gerrard then ? ;)

SPIDERBOY said:
jimharri said:
I usually use the word ''vermin''. It has a ring to it.

Am I right in saying,it was actually themselves who knicknamed themselves rags........many years ago?

During the 1930-31 season, United were in a wretched state. The club teetered on the brink of bankruptcy and were attracting crowds of less than 4,000 for some games - despite still being in Division 1.

“I worked in Trafford then, and all the locals were United fans. I was working nights and when Saturday morning arrived a couple of them asked ‘are you going to see the Rags today?’ I didn’t know what that meant, and then they explained that United fans had started to call their own team the ‘Rags’ because they were so poor and that their kit looked liked rags. So after that I knew who they meant, but when I mentioned the Rags, they’d go, ‘who the Hell are you talking about?’ They didn’t like the opposition saying it.”

The poor level of support continued throughout the 1930s. When war broke out in 1939 an immediate ban was placed on the assembly of large crowds. The joke doing the rounds in Manchester was that United would have nothing to worry about.

I'm not disputing GJ but my Gran always said they were called the RAGS because they qualified for a final and couldn't afford a new kit so (once again) they came cap in hand to City and we either loaned them a kit or paid for one from our kit suppliers who made it from offcuts and remnants
All those times we helped them out and yet they turned into the monster we see of recent years, talking about us in such a dismissive way: "small club with a small mentality" springs to mind. Their supporters talk about history, but most of them know nothing.

blue_paul said:
SPIDERBOY said:

I don't remember that term being used in the 90's and it is a shit term. I never call them 'the rags', it's just an internet made up thing really to compensate for more unsavoury names a lot of City fand referred to them as.

Ditto 'the swamp' what a crap nickname for thier ground. Sounds like something a five year old would say.

Nearly as cringe worthy as their cITY or Council house jibes, the bunch of fucking no marks.

Got to say I agree with you on these points.

I very rarely hear Rags used apart from on the internet, and "The Swamp", never ever.

Although it isn't anything like as pathetic as all this "Dippers" and "Barcodes" shite.

well when I was at school they were often called rags.. believe me that was some time ago well before this interweb thingy was invented

But just to play devils advocate.
Who would take a defeat tonight, with a guarantee we'd go on and win the league.
Or would you rather win tonight,and take our chances.

Maineman55 said:
But just to play devils advocate.
Who would take a defeat tonight, with a guarantee we'd go on and win the league.
Or would you rather win tonight,and take our chances.
Strange Question as winning tonight gives us the best chance, but, as always, one game at a time, beat the scum and then come whatever may.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.