11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

People underrate his unique attributes forgetting that there was a time we couldn’t do more than amble about and pass diagonally all game long. There was a time not too long ago when we lacked that bite and teams were happy to see us pass it all about as no one was courageous to have a go.

I’d rather we allow him add that feather of keeping possession to his cap (and I think he doing nicely in that regard) but what I see people do mostly is point fingers and discourage his unique gift. I hope he’s not reading this thread because we could easily take that natural gift out of him by discouraging words.

I disagree I love Doku, but we looked more cohesive when Jack was on the pitch, that's purely down to Jack playing with the team for three seasons, he has a far better understanding of his teammates than Doku, our players seem to trust Jack with the ball more the Doku which is to be expected. No harm in mentioning that, its not a slight on Jeremy he will improve.

I've no issue with that, it's a fair opinion to have, that's quite a different view to the one that I quoted though.

The idea thats creeping in, not neccesarily from you, that we can't control games with doku on the pitch or without grealish is just false, we dominated the entire second half to prove that. (did they even have a shot second half?)

Never seen him win a 1v1 race… always falls behind. An option only for short yards, can’t beat anyone in longer distances.

Not hating or saying he’s terrible.. he’s actually fairly decent, was just hoping for a VINI/Mbappe type..and he’s nowhere close.
Hes pretty close in everything except shooting. And knowing what a terrible shooter Vini was in his first seasons and how much he improved his finishing since then, I see no reason the same doesn't happen to Doku who already has a better technique.

Also, I've never seen him lose a 1v1 race, except that one time against Son.

Well, I don't appear to have been watching the same match as everyone else, I thought he had a very good game. In fact I found myself thinking, “I don't really see how Jack gets back in this team as a regular starter”. And Jack wasn't bad until his injury. I'm not saying he was.
The plain fact is that Doku threatens the opposition defence in a a way that Jack simply doesn't. Jack holds the ball well, does those crossfield runs and releases it to someone on the other wing or someone in midfield, draws fouls well, but I don't see that there's a whole lot more to his game. Jérémy put over a couple of superb crosses that someone, Haaland or anyone, really should have been on the end of. He can beat his man for speed on the outside almost at will. And a ball cut back and away from the keeper and defence will always cause chaos. It's in the nature of his game that he loses the ball more — just as it's in the nature of Kev's game that passes are going to be intercepted, because he tries difficult things — but by God Doku fights like a tiger to get back and get that ball when he's got any chance whatsoever of doing it.
As I say, a good match. His sheer threat draws defenders to him, and gives space to the players running through from midfield. With Oscar Bobb as an option out there too, I just don't see Jack as first choice.

I like Doku because he tries to get past the opposition and unbalance defenders . He invariably faces 2 or 3 defenders because they sit so deep . Not much space to run into and then a couple of centre halves stood in front of Haaland. Yes he will lose the ball but that says more about our defences failure to handle fast attackers. and his final pass needs to improve .

Doku is a young player who has established himself as a player that can start for the best team in the world. He is a risk/reward player and very different from our recent players. He has definitely added to our options and will improve to become a vital player for us.
True. He's an exciting, unpolished talent. If anyone can refine the finished article, it'll be Pep.

Hes pretty close in everything except shooting. And knowing what a terrible shooter Vini was in his first seasons and how much he improved his finishing since then, I see no reason the same doesn't happen to Doku who already has a better technique.

Also, I've never seen him lose a 1v1 race, except that one time against Son.
Haha he lost one first game v west ham to coufal! And coufal was running with the ball.. doku is lightning for the first 5 yards then doesnt get any quicker

Got a unique talent and the opposition cant put 2 on everyone so must be freeing up space. Thought he was more selective last night on when to go and when to pass and compared to a few months back is making progress.

Eventually I'd like to see Grealish and Doku together attacking on the left as a unit. Id love to see if Grealish would actually try to be more penetrative if they were a duo. Now now.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.