11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a big leap from Ligue 1 to the Premier League and then another big leap to the Champions League, irrespective of the opponent, and he’s had to make those leaps in a new team in new surroundings in 25 days, during which time his coach has also been absent. In an attacking sense, he has started well, but there are many issues to his game that need improving (some of his passing into midfield is lax), and with so many unavailable he’s going to have to learn on the job.

He was mentioned to us when Vinnie was at Anderlecht so he's not really a three game wonder. He's tricky, he can hold the ball, he can beat defenders with barely a foot of pitch to play with. It is early days, but he's the sort of player who makes watching football so delightful - and he's ours.
You can't compare the Belgium league to ours, so yes SO FAR SO GOOD

He’s so raw. He does some things as well as anyone I’ve ever seen, the way he slows down to walking pace then explodes past his man is incredible. Then the times where he’s doubled up on, he seems to understand already that if he delays, slows down, he is drawing two players towards him and he can then play a simple pass to a team mate who can exploit the space he has created by merely being on the ball.

However, at other times it’s like he can’t actually kick a ball where he wants to! He’s also a problem defensively as he leaves his side wide open too often and for all his explosive pace in attack, his pace getting back seems very unreliable so far. So I think he gets dipped into the team now and then, but I don’t expect too much from him right now. I think Pep will want to sort out a few things on the training pitch before Doku becomes a regular starter.
Agreed

He's fucking electric, isn't he? As soon as he stands up a defender then you know it's over for them. And the strength he shows to stop them getting back at him is brilliant.

Really exciting to watch and he's going to bag a shit load of assists once Erling finds his shooting boots.

My only gripe is that his fitness needs to improve. He was blowing out of his arse yesterday towards the end.
He was completely fucked and that’s despite coming on as a sub on 44 mins! He’s objectively exciting to watch but I do think some people are letting his take-ons blind them from all of his weaknesses. I don’t see him as being ready to be a reliable starter in this team yet. The issue is that with the injuries he almost has to be. But he isn’t yet imo.

So, so exciting. But, having read through a comments on here, I agree; His tracking back has been sus- looks like he has half the pace when the op have the ball. His touch isn't at the level we have seen from players here recently.

but

I've never been so unexpectedly excited about a signing after three appearances. Has looked unplayable in that left channel. I think he'll dip in and out of the side- maybe start a few games at home. He is only 21 right so we need to manage his minutes well. Would be a fantastic option from the bench if we need some impetus in the last 30mins of big games.

Would also love to see an experimental Doku - Grealish - Foden behind Haaland or Alvarez.(Doku left, Phil right, Jack central left-ish)

If you are already racially inclined. You'd think that.
No one bats an eyelash when Haaland, who happens to be white, is called a physical specimen because he in fact is. Same is true of Docourre who happens to be black. But I'm sure some of you will squirm if someone points out Docourre's 'physical assets' as if this is supposed to be some bad thing.

People hear what they want to hear if it fits their preconceived narrative. The question is not whether the guy who was called athletic or the guy who was called intelligent is black or white. The question is whether the guy is in fact athletic or intelligent.

That Kyle is athletic is incontrovertible, that Kevin Debryune is intelligent is incontrovertible too. That this fits the unacceptable preconceptions of the "its all about race" crowd is irrelevant.

People refer to intelligent players as intelligent. Not white players. Some of you just like to pretend what you believe is what's happening by matching patterns when it fits your narrative.

Yaya Toure to the side for a second. Eugenics has nothing to do with this. Technical proficiency is much more prevalent amongst European born players (of all races) than amongst African players. Some of that is due to how much technical training support European kids get vis a vis their African counterparts. And some just has to do with what African players focus on.

And as a general rule, it's the most athletic African players who stand out as youths that often go on to get the opportunities to play in Europe.

So it's not particularly surprising that a high percentage of African players who make it to Europe, are around the top percentile in athleticism. It's how they often differentiated themselves back home from the rest. I would know this because I was one of those techical kids as a youth who was outdone by the more athletic kids ( or maybe I simply wasn't any good. Who knows :p) and I still help contribute to my brother's soccer camp back home with technical tools I never had access to. And it's still the same profile of kids winning.

This has very little to do with intelligence. Nor do people ascribe intelligence to it outside of race-baiters who like to racialize everything. Even things that are neither complicated nor hard to explain.

As for Yaya, it's sad to see that lots of our African brothers, Yaya included, are slowly buying into this rotten victimized mentality that presumes others have it our for them, rather than focusing on the reality of the immense and unimaginable success they've become to themselves and those to come.

Anyway. Enough ranting. Back to the greatness that is Doku.
'racially inclined' also known as a person of colour haha. Can't be arsed engaging with a lot of that so wel agree to dis agree.

76k5.gif
People should reply with that gif every time a poster capitalises full words in their posts. This is not a tabloid newspaper.

Please watch the footage again. Doku tracked back and was in our box when they scored.
He just wasn't fast enough to catch Coufal.
The slight issue with that is that Doku could go past Coufal whilst dribbling the ball, yet wasn’t quick enough to catch him defensively. That can’t be logically right, can it?

You can see after West Ham score that he looks up to the sky. He knew.

Can even get his head up for a pass, which is more than FFS did, gonna be exciting this lad, but probably frustrating at times as well
That's how i see it, he'll light up a few games, and probably have moments of passing the ball out of play or just not controlling the ball properly.

Ultimately he's 21, and hasn't come here to rest on his laurels, and looks like he has the right attitude to learn.

Will have an in and out first season so best not to get carried away too much, but he does have a lot of potential to be special in a couple of years under Pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.