11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
People getting carried away with him.
He is looking ok because he is trying to make something happen in a City team which isn’t functional and he is making it worse by losing the ball in most instances.
The way we play is patience, recycling, patience but when have had injuries and Ill discipline which have affected us going this.

End product not great today. Plenty of take on that lead nowhere. High risk with him as when he loses the ball we look vulnerable. Maybe he needs to read the game more as to when to take the risk and when to keep it safe.

Need to see more from all the new signings.

At least he's trying to make things happen, but the end product was terrible yesterday.

Doku’s biggest problem is through no fault of his own - being hyped up in some quarters as the next Messi and being used as a stick to beat Grealish with while he was out injured. It’s all been very unedifying the last few weeks and some of our online “fanbase” and a few on here can be blamed for that. And then when Doku *doesn’t* play like that he gets slated…

He’s a young, talented winger whose effort can’t be faulted at all. But it was always unrealistic to expect him to slot into every game and take on his winger and rack up a ton of assists and goals just because he’s got a rapid turn of pace. For starters, he’s only been here a few weeks along with other new signings. Pep was absent for some of that. Also, his natural style of play jars with some of the demands of Pep. This was seen yesterday in his rush to take on / dribble but it led to him losing the ball more often than not.

He’s also only played as much as he had because Jack was injured and we needed cover on the LW. Doku has done a good job of that and what I’d like to see is Doku on the right and Grealish on the left for a game, offering balance to each other. And Foden back in a more central role.

Not sure I can see Doku starting against Arsenal as I imagine Pep will be looking for more control / a more senior starting XI, but I just hope for his sake that people dial down the hype and give him some time to develop under Pep’s system, and he’ll come good.

How many touches did he have compared to Foden this game ?

I felt too much reliant on him.
If we deploy Walker as the only player down the right, then any threat from the left will be magnified and easier to nullify, which Wolves managed quite efficiently. He regularly had three players standing off him and that meant there was no space for Nunes to run into and nowhere for Ake to add support other than as an outlet ball back the way. Other sides will now do the same, so I suspect the days of playing Walker thus will end when the injuries clear and players return.

Doku is probably playing more than he would have had Palmer remained, and the harsh fact is that he's learning a new League in a team that currently has precious little constancy. That's hard enough without the weight of our expectations pressing him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.