#11 | Oleksandr Zinchenko - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He really does get better and better at his role. Helped today by the fact that he was more of a midfield player in a 3-3-4 formation.
Definitely,he looks far happier when he is allowed to display his natural midfield instincts.

I think he's great. I'm happy with him as first choice lb for a long while yet. That said, I would love him to put in a few more crosses and take more shots. I feel like he's afraid of being told that he's wasting possession but the same could have been said of Cancelo. If they both find the right balance it'd be great.

(Hope Mendy is sold asap though - we have plenty of lb cover with Ake and Laporte.)

My worry is we can’t shift Mendy in the summer and let Zinchenko go to bring in a new left back. It’s testament to Zinchenko that I’d genuinely be gutted about that. Mendy’s 6 year deal could end Oleks’ City career.

Definitely,he looks far happier when he is allowed to display his natural midfield instincts.
He can often get a bit of criticism but we must remember he is NOT a left full back. As soon as he moves forward, drifts a little into the middle it becomes clear that he has the talent and inclination to play in midfield. We just have some of the best midfielders in world football so he isn't gonna get much of a sniff there. He can occasionally drop a short misguided pass and our attack turns immediately to defence - it happened yesterday - but I think he is a genuine, honest guy who loves the club.

He can often get a bit of criticism but we must remember he is NOT a left full back. As soon as he moves forward, drifts a little into the middle it becomes clear that he has the talent and inclination to play in midfield. We just have some of the best midfielders in world football so he isn't gonna get much of a sniff there. He can occasionally drop a short misguided pass and our attack turns immediately to defence - it happened yesterday - but I think he is a genuine, honest guy who loves the club.
How long do you play in a role before you become it?
He is our best left back by a country mile and is worth his place in the team. I hope we keep him.

He is a left back though. A very modern, non-traditional, versatile version of one. But still a left back. Pep said the other day that whilst Zinchenko thinks he’s an attacking midfielder, Pep basically said he doesn’t have the attributes for it and his current role is what suits him. How long does he have to play left back before we acknowledge that it is now his position? He’s very good at it. When Cancelo plays on the right, Zinchenko is even playing as part of a back 3 in possession. He is now a defender. One of the very best in the game at helping the build up. That’s why Pep loves him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.