15 Years ago today

Funny how things change. They did behave like morons on that day and yet 2 years ago at Wembley they were good as gold. Dare I say 'impeccable'!

Wow, was just reading the 'seats in the Wigan end' thread and it got me thinking about this day. One of the most surreal footy days of my life, I remember blues popping up in every other corner of the Britannia at various stages of the game and as mentioned, the walk back to the car was a fuckin nightmare, bricks flying everywhere!

I too was sat in the Stoke end for this, it was kicking off everywhere.

I remember reading in the paper on the day of the game that loads of blues had gone down to the Britannia earlier that week to buy tickets, although it did say that one City fan's cover was blown when he asked for four tickets for "The Stoke game".

Fifteen years is a shockingly long time and worth noting for one particular reason. Many of the hoards of away fans that come to the Etihad and sing "where were you when you were shit?" were in short trousers when the supporters of this football club gave it collective CPR in the late-nineties. As time passes the reputation we earned as supporters at that time will inevitably diminish, but as long as we don't forget, that's all that really matters. I don't think days like that should be used as a yardstick for failings under the current circumstances anymore, but we should never forget that without our unflinching support we wouldn't be where we are today. We carried the club to the shop window that lead to the miracle of the takeover.

It truly is an astonishing journey we've been on, and one which supporters of any other club should, in truth, be entirely jealous. No-one else can know what it feels like to climb back from that hot, sunny day fifteen years ago, to where we find ourselves today, the force we now are in European football and with all that lies before us.

Anyone who says this club has no history really is a fool.

TGR said:
And where will we be in in another 15 years time? That's scary!

Even if we went totally tits up I doubt we'd lose that many of us that saw the original colapse or the younger ones that go now in fact.<br /><br />-- Sat May 04, 2013 12:03 pm --<br /><br />
TGR said:
And where will we be in in another 15 years time? That's scary!

Even if we went totally tits up I doubt we'd lose that many of us that saw the original colapse or the younger ones that go now in fact.

This was the game i started supporting City!!

that means ive been a city fan for 15 years (and one day).

blue b4 the moon said:
Thanks for reminding me of my 35th birthday when I cried.

50 today and my last 2 cries were for trophies, hoping for a third on the 11th.

Happy Birthday!
Presumably you're referring to the Fa Cup and St Sergio's Day... which means...

You didn't cry after Gillingham? My God, you must have a heart of stone, man.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I too was sat in the Stoke end for this, it was kicking off everywhere.

I remember reading in the paper on the day of the game that loads of blues had gone down to the Britannia earlier that week to buy tickets, although it did say that one City fan's cover was blown when he asked for four tickets for "The Stoke game".

Fifteen years is a shockingly long time and worth noting for one particular reason. Many of the hoards of away fans that come to the Etihad and sing "where were you when you were shit?" were in short trousers when the supporters of this football club gave it collective CPR in the late-nineties. As time passes the reputation we earned as supporters at that time will inevitably diminish, but as long as we don't forget, that's all that really matters. I don't think days like that should be used as a yardstick for failings under the current circumstances anymore, but we should never forget that without our unflinching support we wouldn't be where we are today. We carried the club to the shop window that lead to the miracle of the takeover.

It truly is an astonishing journey we've been on, and one which supporters of any other club should, in truth, be entirely jealous. No-one else can know what it feels like to climb back from that hot, sunny day fifteen years ago, to where we find ourselves today, the force we now are in European football and with all that lies before us.

Anyone who says this club has no history really is a fool.

As I was reading that it felt like it should have a piece of stirring classical music building underneath it!Great post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.