#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worth noting he's still rather young in the grand scheme of things.

In 2017-19 we had Fernandinho and Gundogan mainly occupying the DM roles. In 2017 Fern was 32 and Gundogan was 27. These were then two guys with an immense amount of experience playing deeper roles for teams that attack at the highest level.

Not only is Rodri still only 24, but in this specific role in this specific team he's got nowhere near the level of experience his predecessors had.

It's clear he's still rough around the edges in ways, but there are times where he looks a colossus. He already looks better than last season, there's no reason to assume he can't continue his trajectory upwards.

A brilliant player, in my view. Today, as in the last match, he was caught on the ball early on. He has the intelligence to adapt in the game and once he realised he couldn't dwell on it, Chelsea didn't get near him. He repeatedly wins it, on the ground and in the air, protects it and gives it, short and long and with accuracy. I am convinced that, eventually, all will sing his praises as a world-class operator.

Maybe he can get there but I’m not feeling it. Maybe he’s just marmite, and I don’t like it, but for £63m he shouldn’t be. He should be top drawer and for me he’s not.

He’s too slow on the ball and then too slow distributing it, with a limited passing range, particularly when under pressure. For me it’s a position that can and absolutely should be upgraded in the summer.

As a squad player he’ll be alright but he’s just not convincing as our main linchpin that sets the tempo to our play.

Maybe he can get there but I’m not feeling it. Maybe he’s just marmite, and I don’t like it, but for £63m he shouldn’t be. He should be top drawer and for me he’s not.

He’s too slow on the ball and then too slow distributing it, with a limited passing range, particularly when under pressure. For me it’s a position that can and absolutely should be upgraded in the summer.

As a squad player he’ll be alright but he’s just not convincing as our main linchpin that sets the tempo to our play.
Time will tell.

Time will tell.
It will.

I actually would like him to turn it around because he’s from the no dickheads scouting policy and seems a really genuine bloke... and beyond that I can completely get why people like him.

I just think in our team he’s not the right fit to play 80% of our games for the reasons I went into, and contrary to most it’s not exclusively tied to him not being a 100m runner.

We definitely need another 6 now Fernandinho is at the end. I want us to go for a guy that absolutely pushes to start and upgrades on Rodri, not a clear backup.

It will.

I actually would like him to turn it around because he’s from the no dickheads scouting policy and seems a really genuine bloke... and beyond that I can completely get why people like him.

I just think in our team he’s not the right fit to play 80% of our games for the reasons I went into, and contrary to most it’s not exclusively tied to him not being a 100m runner.

We definitely need another 6 now Fernandinho is at the end. I want us to go for a guy that absolutely pushes to start and upgrades on Rodri, not a clear backup.
We differ, that's cool, and we both hope I am right. Best wishes, Blue, for the year ahead.

[
A better team would of have made more of those terrible mistakes he made in the first 15 minutes
Like who? Burnley? United? Liverpool? Who are these imaginary better teams.

I counted 3 mistakes personally. When he got caught on the ball and almost fouled to recover it (So much for never getting back goal side once his caught out), a clumsy kick on the bouncing ball. And a dumb release in our half when we attempted to start a break.

He was also left in the dust by Pulisic once and I believe Ziyech on another. But the Steffen back pass was not an error, just haters looking for excuse to pile on.

Generally once he settled he was decent, not great, but decent.

Didn't see the first 15 but he was excellent today from what I saw, the way he pressed high and pinched the ball back high-up the pitch like Fern did in his prime is what we've lacked since he joined, so more of that please.
Good. Coz you'd have been doing your usual whinnying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.