#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad is quality, no stats,no line breakers or press resistant mumbo jumbo, he is quality, that's my opinion, I have a similar opinion of gundogan, even when there was a pile on, I was right about gundogan and I am right in my rodders opinion, imo, so nothing anyone can say will change that, imo the best dm in the prem

He is absolutely quality and I have no doubt that those condemning him were also condemning Gundo and Pep only a few weeks ago; some people just have to have someone to scapegoat. I heard it at the game, week in and week out, where every touch a player made is greeted with a moan and groan and some pathetic 'expert' comment like, 'Get it forward, for fucks sake!' 'Boo' Bowyer, Edgy and others speak of decades of scapegoats among our fanbase. Currently, it is Mahrez, Mendy and Rodri. 3 months ago it was Gundo. 6 months ago, John Stones. The list goes on.

Last edited:
Except it doesn't because there is no context or evidence provided and common sense will tell you that 11 line breaking passes every game is bollocks.

Someone has to show an example of one game of Rodri getting anywhere near 11 line breaking passes before anyone can even start to take these seriously. If the Athletic could give us the stats per game (which they no doubt have) then we'd be able to see a breakdown, watch an individual game and see exactly what they are classing as a 'line breaking' pass, but there's no chance of that because they know that people can look into it and point out that these stats are complete bollocks and the Athletic has published another load of shit

Quick check on YouTube and I can't find any vids from this season where it focuses on Rodris every touch in one game, so I watched one that came up, which is this vs spurs in 2019. How many line breaking passes do you count? I count 1, 25 second in.

If that was the case then he'd need to provide 21 (TWENTY ONE) line breaking passes in another game to make up for that one game.

Now obviously for this without watching games individually we're reliant on whoever made that youtube vid, and I know it's from last season (because I can't find any vids online from this season, but note that there is another vid from 2019 on YouTube of him vs West ham where he looked to make 2 line breaking passes in that game) but some context and examples need to be provided to back those stats up and just pointing to them as gospel (which a lot of you are doing) is a very weak argument, if an argument at all. If you think this video is a poor example then no problem you're probably right, but provide a better one for people to look at

Get the breakdown from Sam Lee or the Athletic and I'll have a look (it is lockdown after all) but there's no way they'll show their hand with this because it's very obviously bullshit

For the record, I thought rodri did fine today and it was a very good tackle in the area he made on their forward in the first half after they'd beaten cancelo, but people need to cut out referring to those Athletic stats unless someone backs them up with some (any) sort of evidence because if you actually watch the game and not the stats, there is little evidence there to back them up (although I do think he's improving and I'm hopeful he could turn out alright yet)

Not sure why your beef here is with the Athletic and certainly it has nothing to do with Sam Lee.

The Athletic simply subscribe to data providers. I know they use smarterscout lots (Sam Lee has used this in several of his articles and at times he has used it very well with proper context) and in this case the "progressive pass" vis has come from another provider Sport Logiq. https://sportlogiq.com/en/

There is a definion of line breaking passes in here: https://sportlogiq.com/en/news-views/how-we-watch-the-game. I've not read it and have no idea of it's value.

I can't access the video you have posted but from outher sources there is lot's of data about that game. Rodri was was quiet :)

This idea he is ultra press resistant is ludicrous, where has it come from?

As far as pressing goes he’s our weakest link and used as a trigger by pretty much every opposition we face as he is slow on the ball, isn’t yet up to par with body orientation & lacks vision.

this may change over time and I am rooting for him but he has a long, long way to go.

We'd agree that David Silva was supremely press resistant working his magic in tight spaces. Bernardo is another one. Rodri is obviously no where near those levels.

The stat is from statsbomb. The data captures every pass every player makes in every major league. The data then captures the volume of those passes successfully completed when under pressure from an opponent. Rodri is the nuts in terms of volume. It's as simple as that. He has a high volume of passes, a high volume of successfully completed passes and, of those, a great ability to get the ball away when under pressure from an opponent.

The problem is (like at Chelsea) when he doesn't and he is targeted it is uncomfortable viewing.

Last edited:
The lad is quality, no stats,no line breakers or press resistant mumbo jumbo, he is quality, that's my opinion, I have a similar opinion of gundogan, even when there was a pile on, I was right about gundogan and I am right in my rodders opinion, imo, so nothing anyone can say will change that, imo the best dm in the prem
Is this a poem? An idea to Rodri? :)

Not sure why your beef here is with the Athletic and certainly it has nothing to do with Sam Lee.

The Athletic simply subscribe to data providers. I know they use smarterscout lots (Sam Lee has used this in several of his articles and at times he has used it very well with proper context) and in this case the "progressive pass" vis has come from another provider Sport Logiq. https://sportlogiq.com/en/

There is a definion of line breaking passes in here: https://sportlogiq.com/en/news-views/how-we-watch-the-game. I've not read it and have no idea of it's value.

I can't access the video you have posted but from outher sources there is lot's of data about that game. Rodri was was quiet :)

I've nothing against Sam Lee mate I think he's ok (and I subscribe to the Athletic!), but I thought the stats came from them and not elsewhere, so thanks for pointing that out to me. Shame I/we can't see the breakdown of stats from the link but I suppose there's a simple solution by counting them each game if anyone can be arsed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.