#16 | Rodri - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the worst player but he was left for dead for their 2nd goal by the speed demon that is Harry Kane.

Not a patch on Fernandinho.

If he played for another club people here would say he was mediocre.

Big mistake by the club buying him.

It’s the things he doesn’t do that he’s poor at.

He doesn’t move the oppositions’ midfielders around to create space for our defenders to pass the ball into our attacking mids.

That was Fernandinho’s best asset; he never stopped moving and dragged players all over the shop to create space. If a pass isn’t on for him he just stands bolt still and allows their midfielders to block all of our central passing lanes. Also too often because there’s no pass on further forward, by standing still, he’s not in a position to receive a pass himself.

Also he doesn’t do anything damaging with the ball. Nothing. Everything is just okay.
That is simply not true.

Did you see him against Spain. He can do all the things you list. The question is why not for us?
Germany were garbage and were so spread out with no pressure on the ball. Look, he’s not a terrible player, he’s a professional that represents his country and played for top teams in Spain.

But I watch him for us, in the way we set up, and he’s not been good enough. He doesn’t impact the game and for £60m+ he should do. He has to get the ball out to our players quickly so we create 1v1s but it just doesn’t happen.

I hope he can improve but I just don’t see it happening.

Germany were garbage and were so spread out with no pressure on the ball. Look, he’s not a terrible player, he’s a professional that represents his country and played for top teams in Spain.

But I watch him for us, in the way we set up, and he’s not been good enough. He doesn’t impact the game and for £60m+ he should do. He has to get the ball out to our players quickly so we create 1v1s but it just doesn’t happen.

Look, I’m far far from being a Rodri fan boy. He has turned in some truly shite performances for us. All I’m saying is today wasn’t one of them.

He is a defensive midfielder, I repeat a DEFENSIVE midfielder.

If he puts someone through 1v1 5 times a season that is a complete bonus it is not even slightly part of what should be expected of someone in that position.

For context, Fernandinho averaged 2/3 assists in the league a season in the best attacking team in premier League history.

It is so annoying seeing people slag players for something they are not at all responsible for.

More on topic I think he needs to learn to play the ball on the ground more often, those lofted passes are too slow when a pinged ground pass would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.