16 | Rodri - 2023/24

Can you elaborate on what mistakes he made and how they cost us?

I saw a MoTM performance from Rodri and honestly missed the hiccups. He could have easily had 2 or 3 assists, if not for fine margins. It was Rodri’s pass to Walker that Bernardo failed to head goalward despite being open. It was Rodri’s pass again to Walker that Haaland headed in only for it to be called offside. (How is he the only one in the team that is able to make those overhead passes when faced with low blocks?)

Again it was his line breaking pass to Foden that he failed to convert towards the end of the game.
I just have seen too many sloppy passes and positions unusual for him but I agree he was much back to his best towards the end, and that alone is something many can't deliver.

My point wasn't to criticize him but his workload and missing rests.
In that way I would understand if he saves energy within the match but still turns up to win us games.

Bit in the first half when he was unable to get back goal side of Wissa and got caught under the ball. That led to their break. Even for the disallowed goal, he allowed the ball to run across him just a fraction too far and Walker was that fraction offside. Not complaints, just observations. Lad is tired and understandably so; at times he is the entire midfield.

Its actually insane how much we depend on one player given the resources the club has. What would be the actual plan if god forbid something happens to him? The games we've played without him we look a complete and utter shambles. It honestly keeps me awake at night worrying, especially this current system where we basically ask him to do the job of 3 players.

Brilliant player, shame weve got to work him into the ground
Even if it means we might go out of the cup we surely have to rest him against Luton. It's hard to see when he next gets a break otherwise. Maybe in the 2nd half against Copenhagen if we get a couple of early goals but other than that he'll probably start every game we have left this season.

I just have seen too many sloppy passes and positions unusual for him but I agree he was much back to his best towards the end, and that alone is something many can't deliver.

My point wasn't to criticize him but his workload and missing rests.
In that way I would understand if he saves energy within the match but still turns up to win us games.
I've thought the same a few times this year. Its as if he knows how important to us and tries to carry the team on his back at times. Its not really something you want to comment on when he's the best in the world at what he does though. That said, this season it seems the positions he ends up in are so far advanced for his role at times, more so than previous years. I think its played a part in us looking more open to counter attacks this year. Its also harder for him to operate the same further up the pitch which probably leads to slightly more "sloppiness". I don't think there has been much choice this year though with the absence of Kev and Gundo leaving. He has stepped up in their abcense but I do think he needs help to do so by playing Kovacic or Stones with him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.