16 | Rodri - 2023/24

Very obviously coming to the very end of, or at the very end, of how much we can possibly physically flog this human being for. Has to rest on Saturday. We have to be able to trust kova and nunes at home to brighton (probably with Kev)

Very obviously coming to the very end of, or at the very end, of how much we can possibly physically flog this human being for. Has to rest on Saturday. We have to be able to trust kova and nunes at home to brighton (probably with Kev)

Luton, but yes! I would expect us to rest Rodri for this one.

Got more than enough to beat them and it's one of the few/only games we can possibly do so.

He lost the ball by being dispossessed or through an unsuccessful touch three times in total (which is about double average) but one of those unsuccessful touches was really Foden’s fault for pinging a ball at Rodri far too hard.
I've read about Foden playing over hit passes to team mates quite a few times now,I've not really noticed it,but it must be true I guess as others regularly pick up on it..

I find the point intresting because I remember reading about Paul Gascoigne s style of play decades ago, a team mate ,possibly Gary lineaker said something along the lines of cGazza doesn't really pass you the ball,he lends it go you " meaning ,hitting it low and so hard,that the only thing you can do is give it him back in a one-day two....

This of course was Gazzas trademark " wall - pass " where he would completely take an oppennent out on his surging runs forward by passing low to a team mate ,running past a defender into space to collect the return...often resulting in a burst into the penalty area from a central midfield run.

A very effective tactic to break down defence.

I digress..; )

Does he have new shoes? Like the first half against Palace constantly slipping & misplaced passes. Strange.
And Like against Palace much better in the 2nd half. Of course Pep is overplaying him but he could have take a break during the national friendlies. 6 weeks to go but perhaps in 2 weeks (worst case) it can be already over. Has to come through the mental fatigue. Rest/Sub against Luton but that`s it. He`s too important even when he has some off-minutes.

When Rodri looks out of position and off the pace slightly, it‘s most often caused by our system creaking, caused by bad build up or good opposition pressing.

He’s obviously overplayed, but the last two games, we’ve been poor at building up in the first halves, whilst their presses have been decent.

As our opponents tired, their press dropped off and he and we looked stable again.

I‘d be an advocate of resting him vs Luton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.