#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each time Bernardo starts to play as RCM - team looks more solid and hard to defeat.

The main reason that happens is, that since David Silva and his phenomenal season in 2017 / 2018 and first half of 2018 / 2019 -> there has not been a player in the team (except Bernardo and Rodri (but Rodri is defensive midfielder)) who is able to retain the ball during the pressing 100 out of 100 times and deliver the ball.

Debruyne in those "difficult pressing situations" sometimes looses the ball and can't get out of it like Bernardo does. Bernardo not only retains and dribbles past 2-3 opponents, but passes the ball and therefore possession becomes bigger and bigger in percentages. That's the quality - I think makes Bernardo better RCM than Debruyne in the "big matches". Because, in all the big matches first of all you need to take that ball and then pass it. Debruyne is great and one of the best maybe at the passing, but when it comes to "taking the ball" -> Bernardo is better.

That's why the last 2 games, where Pep could defeat Liverpool in non-friendly or non-less-pressure environments - was with Bernardo in the midfield and without Debruyne..

With Debruyne Pep won last year - where Liverpool was already a champion and in community shield - where you can't have as much pressure as in 3-d of January in 2019 or 7-th of February of 2021 - where every movement and detail of the game - defines the champion in the end.

In those games, Bernardo was the best player and cornerstone of the success. I would add game at Enfield where Mahrez pissed the penalty but as we are counting only the wins - I think those 2 games are enough to analyze the situation.

So in big CL games or playoffs - you must start with Bernardo as RCM and decide other players only after that. You don't start with Bernardo and you definitely loose or don't have as much comfort in the midfield as you could have. And for Pep I think comfort in the midfield zone is the most important thing in the world.

I think Debruyne should play LCM position and deliver goals like Gundogan does. As for me - that's the position where he suits better.

Pep shouldn't make same mistake twice, when in 2018 / 2019 Debruyne returned from the injury and Bernardo had to move to the RW position - which ruined everything and was the main reason of last season`s failure. Bernardo isn't messi, he is more of a Xavi type and if you have Xavi - you play him at RCM position.

Last edited:
@DATOIA
I rather think that our defensive solidity is due to several factors:
1) The addition of Dias has massively upgraded our CBs;
2) Stones has found form again and is playing out of his mind;
3) Our lineup/press has changed - we're much less aggressive with our press - when the ball turns over it's mostly about cutting off passing lanes and shoring up as necessary;
4) The false RB position not only helps out on offense, but when the ball turns over it's usually advantageous to have Cancelo playing more central - at least initially - or so it seems to me. Playing more central, Cancelo is more able to cut off passing lanes/affect play - and most often, the opposing LB is far behind the ball on a turn over so not a huge risk.

Which is to say, I agree that with Silva in our side we're more solid defensively - at the same time, B. Silva out and KDB in (if it comes down to this choice) - I think we're a better side.

Last edited:
@DATOIA
I rather think that our defensive solidity is due to several factors:
1) The addition of Dias has massively upgraded our CBs;
2) Stones has found form again and is playing out of his mind;
3) Our lineup/press has changed - we're much less aggressive with our press - when the ball turns over it's mostly about cutting off passing lanes and shoring up as necessary;
4) The false RB position not only helps out on offense, but when the ball turns over it's usually advantageous to have Cancelo playing more central - at least initially - or so it seems to me. Playing more central, Cancelo is more able to cut off passing lanes/affect play - and most often, the opposing LB is far behind the ball on a turn over so not a huge risk.

Which is to say, I agree that with Silva in our side we're more solid defensively - at the same time, B. Silva out and KDB in - I think we're a better side.

Mainly it depends on the game and opponent..

In overall switching back to the old system and adding Zinchenko / Cancelo to the midfield as the inverted fullbacks improved our game a lot and those flaws of Rodri - aren't noticeable any more, because they don't exist. Midfield operates well and as a one unit, including: Rodri, Bernardo, Gundogan and Zinchenko, Cancelo, Jesus trio..

But there are opponents where you need your best midfield in terms of possession and ball control and that's where you need Bernardo.

I remember Pep talking about one of the games, I think after that Lyon game and he mentioned that first 30-40 minutes were difficult, because team couldn't connect to the Debruyne, as he was marked by 2-3 Lyon players and they pressed him well.

So the main idea is, that you shouldn't have to wait 30-40 minutes to "find" Debruyne, Champions League doesn't give you that comfort. That's why you need Bernardo - who is able to take the ball and pass it. Bernardo can't be marked, he moves dipper and dribbles through the opponents. That's why he is so unique for us.. Debruyne doesn't have that dribbling skills and needs more space to operate. Bernardo is best in small spaces.

In the ideal scenario they should play together. During this season - Bernardo can play as false 9 and during those "high press" situations from the opponents - switch positions with Kevin, so that team can make a build-up easily. Later they can again switch positions and Debruyne enjoy more spaces when opponent is tired or not able to press.

---------------Ederson----------------
------stones-------------dias---------
----cancelo----Rodri------Zinchy---
------Debruyne------Gundogan-----
Sterling------Bernardo------Foden-

I think that's our Best 11 right now. GJ is close - but Bernardo's contribution is much more important, Kevin is the best player in the world and Gundogan can't be dropped.

Mainly it depends on the game and opponent..

In overall switching back to the old system and adding Zinchenko / Cancelo to the midfield as the inverted fullbacks improved our game a lot and those flaws of Rodri - aren't noticeable any more, because they don't exist. Midfield operates well and as a one unit, including: Rodri, Bernardo, Gundogan and Zinchenko, Cancelo, Jesus trio..

But there are opponents where you need your best midfield in terms of possession and ball control and that's where you need Bernardo.

I remember Pep talking about one of the games, I think after that Lyon game and he mentioned that first 30-40 minutes were difficult, because team couldn't connect to the Debruyne, as he was marked by 2-3 Lyon players and they pressed him well.

So the main idea is, that you shouldn't have to wait 30-40 minutes to "find" Debruyne, Champions League doesn't give you that comfort. That's why you need Bernardo - who is able to take the ball and pass it. Bernardo can't be marked, he moves dipper and dribbles through the opponents. That's why he is so unique for us.. Debruyne doesn't have that dribbling skills and needs more space to operate. Bernardo is best in small spaces.

In the ideal scenario they should play together. During this season - Bernardo can play as false 9 and during those "high press" situations from the opponents - switch positions with Kevin, so that team can make a build-up easily. Later they can again switch positions and Debruyne enjoy more spaces when opponent is tired or not able to press.

---------------Ederson----------------
------stones-------------dias---------
----cancelo----Rodri------Zinchy---
------Debruyne------Gundogan-----
Sterling------Bernardo------Foden-

I think that's our Best 11 right now. GJ is close - but Bernardo's contribution is much more important, Kevin is the best player in the world and Gundogan can't be dropped.
There's a lot to like in the lineup you propose. I'd replace Zinchenko though with Laporte or Ake; would also replace B. Silva with Aguero.

We've a fantastically talented side; nice that we have so many options; who knows - it's all a matter of opinion - one side might easily be a bit better than another.

There's a lot to like in the lineup you propose. I'd replace Zinchenko though with Laporte or Ake; would also replace B. Silva with Aguero.

We've a fantastically talented side; nice that we have so many options; who knows - it's all a matter of opinion - one side might easily be a bit better than another.

Zinchenko has been rock solid since he came back into the team.

Zinchenko has been rock solid since he came back into the team.
Watch him one-on-one in the back near goal versus an able RB. He frequently fails to cut off crosses - and worse still, he's beaten inside with regularity. I do not at all trust him on defense.

Suggestion - this seems way off topic for this thread - you probably disagree with me - so post your reply in the Zinchenko thread please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.