#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
lot of people here come up with some reactionary nonsense that is worse than the shit english media. KDB is still probably one of the most decisive player in our team now. he was incredible in leeds game, got the first goal in the lecister game, got the amazing assist at bentford, made the cross that made the goal possible in the arsenal game. If we have any decisive game in the CL KDB will be one of the first name on the team sheet

lot of people here come up with some reactionary nonsense that is worse than the shit english media. KDB is still probably one of the most decisive player in our team now. he was incredible in leeds game, got the first goal in the lecister game, got the amazing assist at bentford, made the cross that made the goal possible in the arsenal game. If we have any decisive game in the CL KDB will be one of the first name on the team sheet
If you think people are being reactionary when it comes to Kev then that's on you. Some just maybe think that we are more capable of playing without him now than we ever have been before due to evolvement of our game.
I don't actively want him sold but it certainly wouldn't piss me off like it would have done if it happened 18month ago.
Yes, he can still play an exceptional pass every so often but this team is so much more than that.

I think he still has a lot to offer us. Given his fitness issues he's no longer a nailed-on starter for us - but then, lots of players aren't. Pep's commitment to rotation means it's not unusual or any great hardship to have yet another player who can't or won't play every minute of every match.

We have to keep the balance right, as he's a player who needs time on the pitch to stay sharp, but his fitness can't keep up with playing all the time.

I'd like to see him carefully managed with involvement in on average 1 match per week, which match it is being decided on the basis of where we think he can most benefit the team, combined with how quickly he can recover after his last involvement.

And whether that means playing in his traditional midfield role or further forward, we also need to start getting some playing time in the middle for one or more additional players (presumably Foden and/or Grealish).

Our usual formation needs 2 players there, we currently have 3 fantastic players to cover those positions, but only Bernardo has the stamina to play all of every match. If there was a significant injury to him, KDB or Gundo, one of the latter two would have to increase playing time (if Bernardo was injured, they both would) and I think there's a real risk they'd struggle to do it at the level and consistency needed.

I think we have the skills in the squad to share that burden, just need to make sure we build the experience too.

But I wouldn't sell Kev unless he personally wanted to go. I think he still has match-winning moments to come, and a role to play in the development of his successor/s.

His contract runs to 2025. Depending on how his ankle holds up, I can see him retiring then or before. We've got space in our squad to bring in other players without getting rid of him. I say keep him for as long as he's offering us anything and his presence isn't hindering the squad.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not criticising Kevin or 'reacting' to anything but the obvious.
Yes, Kevin is one of the most influential players, not only in our team, but in the world, however he's not a 'leader' and we have been carrying him to an increasing degree over this season.
He's not quite got 'it' for most games. Moments of brilliance among more poor moments than we've seen from him since he arrived. He's looking his age, particularly after a series of bad injuries and illness, and recovery takes longer as you get older. It's very obvious that he's past his peak and isn't as capable in the majority of situations as others in the squad.
The suggestion that he plays 'false 9' in big/important games makes a lot of sense, but in my opinion, not as much sense as getting a big fee for him and creating a place/funds for (say) Haaland.
I honestly don't see Kevin playing a major role in the team next season and think we will see significant tactical/system changes built around Foden and Grealish.
We don't need to hang on to players past their best and on a downhill slope. There's no time for sentiment in modern football, particularly if there's a risk of blocking progression of young prospects.

This and only this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.