#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs a position which doesn't fuck us over when he leaves gaps - so ideally not midfield or on the wing. That leaves false 9 (Madrid away in 2020 as an example when he took the piss) which I think he could play.

He's too good to leave out. We don't score the winner on Saturday without his vision and ability to play that pass to Rodri. Yes it was cut out but it was enough of a danger to cause havoc - and interestingly probably classes as a time he 'lost possession' which is why that particular stat doesn't mean much for midfielders, especially ones like Kev.

He needs a position which doesn't fuck us over when he leaves gaps - so ideally not midfield or on the wing. That leaves false 9 (Madrid away in 2020 as an example when he took the piss) which I think he could play.

He's too good to leave out. We don't score the winner on Saturday without his vision and ability to play that pass to Rodri. Yes it was cut out but it was enough of a danger to cause havoc - and interestingly probably classes as a time he 'lost possession' which is why that particular stat doesn't mean much for midfielders, especially ones like Kev.
exactly in the big games we can put him false 9 and against shit teams we can still put him midfield if we buy a striker.

KDB is still a game changer and arguably (along with Phil and Mahrez) our most dangerous player.

He's not the best anymore or not yet so far (that's Bernardo) but he can change games with his right foot.

Finding the right balance is key. I don't think we should consider selling him. We will need him in European games.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not criticising Kevin or 'reacting' to anything but the obvious.
Yes, Kevin is one of the most influential players, not only in our team, but in the world, however he's not a 'leader' and we have been carrying him to an increasing degree over this season.
He's not quite got 'it' for most games. Moments of brilliance among more poor moments than we've seen from him since he arrived. He's looking his age, particularly after a series of bad injuries and illness, and recovery takes longer as you get older. It's very obvious that he's past his peak and isn't as capable in the majority of situations as others in the squad.
The suggestion that he plays 'false 9' in big/important games makes a lot of sense, but in my opinion, not as much sense as getting a big fee for him and creating a place/funds for (say) Haaland.
I honestly don't see Kevin playing a major role in the team next season and think we will see significant tactical/system changes built around Foden and Grealish.
We don't need to hang on to players past their best and on a downhill slope. There's no time for sentiment in modern football, particularly if there's a risk of blocking progression of young prospects.
We would not sell him for any reason and more importantly we are in such a good financial state that we can afford to carry him, even if he is becoming a luxury player.

His value in terms of transfer are zero anyway due to age and wages.

We would not sell him for any reason and more importantly we are in such a good financial state that we can afford to carry him, even if he is becoming a luxury player.

His value in terms of transfer are zero anyway due to age and wages.
It's not just about KDB. We shouldn't 'carry' anyone. If a player is destined to see out their contract as a luxury player, they still take up a space that could be used by someone who could be of more value to the team.

Elite sport is ruthless. Don't carry passengers unless you have no alternative. The players are professional sportsmen - they know they have to be at their best or they're out.

It's a multi-billion business. Sentiment is for fans - Owners and coaches have to be ruthless.

It's not just about KDB. We shouldn't 'carry' anyone. If a player is destined to see out their contract as a luxury player, they still take up a space that could be used by someone who could be of more value to the team.

Elite sport is ruthless. Don't carry passengers unless you have no alternative. The players are professional sportsmen - they know they have to be at their best or they're out.

It's a multi-billion business. Sentiment is for fans - Owners and coaches have to be ruthless.
no this club is not a plaything like chelsea, we honor the loyalty of our best players. even zinchenko who is shit is still here no way are we getting rid of someone in his prime like KDB who is still decisive.

no this club is not a plaything like chelsea, we honor the loyalty of our best players. even zinchenko who is shit is still here no way are we getting rid of someone in his prime like KDB who is still decisive.

Two errors of judgement on your part, plus a mis-spelling of the word honour.

As I say - Sentiment is for fans.

If you think people are being reactionary when it comes to Kev then that's on you. Some just maybe think that we are more capable of playing without him now than we ever have been before due to evolvement of our game.
I don't actively want him sold but it certainly wouldn't piss me off like it would have done if it happened 18month ago.
Yes, he can still play an exceptional pass every so often but this team is so much more than that.

It reminds me a lot of the Aguero discussion over the last 18 months. I remember being called reactionary saying he was past it despite him not scoring a league goal for almost a year at the time.

De Bruyne is 30 and injury problems which seem pretty chronic at this point so it's not reactionary to say we have seen his best and logic states he is only going to decline as all other footballers do from here on.

With Silva and Zabaleta people seemed much happier to admit 'their legs has gone' and they needed to be replaced but a lot of people put their fingers in their ears when the same discussion is had about certain other players.

Everyone on here wants Dr Bruyne to be back to his best but we also have to be realistic based on what we've seen.

He's been poor after injuries before, been written off by some and then played his way back to form and made real tangible impacts.

I guess the problem is that the time it's taking him to come back after an injury is increasing. Some players are back on it within a match or two of returning - for a long time Kev's been someone who takes a few weeks to get back to his best, and now it's looking like months.

He's a player who has moments where he can do things that no-one else can. I understand the argument for being ruthless and unsentimental, but I truly believe he still has those moments in him and I would rather see him do it for us than anyone else.

If he was a couple of years older it'd be easier to take. With his injury problems he's never looked likely to be one of those guys who keeps going through his mid 30s and beyond. But 30 is young to decline past being able to play at the very top level, and I think that's why so many of us still carry so much hope.

Perhaps it's one to review in the summer. Get him a CL winner's medal before we ship him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.