#17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just about KDB. We shouldn't 'carry' anyone. If a player is destined to see out their contract as a luxury player, they still take up a space that could be used by someone who could be of more value to the team.

Elite sport is ruthless. Don't carry passengers unless you have no alternative. The players are professional sportsmen - they know they have to be at their best or they're out.

It's a multi-billion business. Sentiment is for fans - Owners and coaches have to be ruthless.
Yes and our owners ruthlessly agreed a contract extension with him just 9 months ago to 2025. He'll be staying with us even if he below his best.

He's been poor after injuries before, been written off by some and then played his way back to form and made real tangible impacts.

I guess the problem is that the time it's taking him to come back after an injury is increasing. Some players are back on it within a match or two of returning - for a long time Kev's been someone who takes a few weeks to get back to his best, and now it's looking like months.

He's a player who has moments where he can do things that no-one else can. I understand the argument for being ruthless and unsentimental, but I truly believe he still has those moments in him and I would rather see him do it for us than anyone else.

If he was a couple of years older it'd be easier to take. With his injury problems he's never looked likely to be one of those guys who keeps going through his mid 30s and beyond. But 30 is young to decline past being able to play at the very top level, and I think that's why so many of us still carry so much hope.

Perhaps it's one to review in the summer. Get him a CL winner's medal before we ship him off.
One to review?
Not a chance he is going anywhere.

Yes and our owners ruthlessly agreed a contract extension with him just 9 months ago to 2025. He'll be staying with us even if he below his best.
I agree Pablo. There's no way he'll want to leave - He'd never get a better offer. It doesn't change the fact that he's not the player he was, and (despite the wishes and prayers of many on here) he's go little to no chance of returning to his 'peak' form on any regular basis. As others have said, he's already becoming a luxury player.

My eyebrows raised when I read that City had extended KDBs contract to 2025, by which time he'll be 34. A strange deal imo, probably based on little more than how good he was 3 or 4 years ago. He's great to watch, but I honestly think too much is now expected of him by both fans and the club.

As I say; the 'false 9' position seems likely to be way to get the best out of him in the future. If we sign Haaland (although I seriously doubt that we will) or any other striker, the 'false 9' is likely to be consigned to 'plan B or C. While that may be an opportunity to have KDB regularly pinging balls onto a strikers head, it's more likely that Foden and Grealish will be the first choices for the midfield supply roles. You don't pay £100m for a player to use him as a back-up, and (imo) Foden is a better all-round footballer than De Bruyne - Our attacking midfield will almost certainly be built around Foden and Grealish next season, with KDB rotating less and less.

All I was saying is that we would probably be better off selling KDB in the bext six months than having him sitting around as a luxury player, effectively blocking the route from the academy. I am looking at the longer term for the benefit of the City Group rather than the short term for the City team. As I say; sentiment is for fans.

This is your honest opinion of the professionalism of our club's decision makers ?.
Every deal involves an element of risk. Offering a historically injury prone 30 year old a long term deal was a gamble. It's much the same with Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez - I've not checked, but I'd be surprised to see either with a contract up to 34.
With age comes slower recovery, and that's what we're seeing evidence of now with KDB.
There's a wise saying.... Only gamble if you can afford to lose. The City Group can afford it, so they see it as lower risk.
You refer to the 'professionalism' of decision makers... It's their job to assess risk as part of making any deal, the same as any line of business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. If they get it right with KDB, that's great. If not, we may end up with an expensive passenger for 2 or 3 seasons.

Every deal involves an element of risk. Offering a historically injury prone 30 year old a long term deal was a gamble. It's much the same with Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez - I've not checked, but I'd be surprised to see either with a contract up to 34.
With age comes slower recovery, and that's what we're seeing evidence of now with KDB.
There's a wise saying.... Only gamble if you can afford to lose. The City Group can afford it, so they see it as lower risk.
You refer to the 'professionalism' of decision makers... It's their job to assess risk as part of making any deal, the same as any line of business. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. If they get it right with KDB, that's great. If not, we may end up with an expensive passenger for 2 or 3 seasons.
Mahrez simply doesn't get injured (fingers crossed, knock on wood).

Screenshot_20220105_120701.jpg

Currently in contract to 2023, when he'll be 31. If he keeps playing as he has been this season and he wants to stay, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 2-3 year extension.

Very different proposition to De Bruyne (or Gundogan) in terms of injury risk.

View attachment 33759

Currently in contract to 2023, when he'll be 31. If he keeps playing as he has been this season and he wants to stay, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 2-3 year extension.

As I said, every deal involves a degree of risk that has to be assessed by the business. In my opinion, KDBs last contract involved a very high level of risk, given his injury record and the circa £20m a year salary. On around half the salary and with a much better injury record, Riyad Mahrez is a significantly lower risk.

View attachment 33759

Yeah we're lucky to have him and Sterling be ever presents as far as availability is concerned

Given their record to date I am inclined to believe they made an informed decision based on the best available current information rather than "how good he was 3 or 4 years ago".

Given their record to date I am inclined to believe they made an informed decision based on the best available current information rather than "how good he was 3 or 4 years ago".
He's not been the best player at City for a year or three, and certainly not this season. However, (thanks to some degree to pundits raving over him even if he has a poor game) his media / international profile is currently higher than any other City player. As such, he's the most marketable in terms of attracting sponsorship etc.
Basically, his name puts football tourist bums on seats - from a corporate point of view, he's our Lionel Messi. Just like Messi, he's in the twilight of his career.
Next season the main focus will probably be on Foden or Grealish... unless Haaland signs for us of course.
It's not about the game of football, it's about the business of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.