17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2023/24

Been reading comments like this every season for the last 3 seasons now. Some people never learn

That's true but he's now getting to the age where he will start slowing and the injuries don't help. He's nearly 33, very few players even plateau at that age. It's the age the decline will start, its just some players it's a very slow decline and some it's a quicker one.

So its not just about people not learning, it's also being realistic that he's approaching his mid 30s and might only have a season or two more at a very high level, and that's being optimistic.

Just the realities of life and age. we want these elite players like KDB to be that forever but they can't be and heading towards that time.

I think he had two horrible games in a row vs dippers, Arse. maybe he wasnt brough off yesterday to avoid a scene on the bench again.
strange Alvarez didnt come on for 10/15 mins when we couldnt even get a shot on target all day while in other games he starts when not really needed.

I'm kinda on the fence about Kev. His spark upon returning from injury shows the quality is still there.

Not sure if he can still play 90mins back to back, but we do have players that can fill his void when he's rested. Foden + Alvarez did well for us in his absence, so we won't exactly be clamoring for a replacement. Or maybe he's still returning to full fitness.

Pep knows best I guess, he will probably know when it's time to phase Kev out.

The assumption has to be that he is carrying some sort of issue as right now he is moving through treacle. He was never Usain Bolt but he had the spark to buy himself a yard of space to pick the pass and right now he is completely unable to do so.

maybe he wasnt brough off yesterday to avoid a scene on the bench again.

Exactly what I said yesterday. I think there's a chance he would've been hooked yesterday if he hadn't spat his dummy out vs the dippers.

Not that I think Pep would be afraid to hook him if completelynecessary. I think it a mixture of Phil being just as anonymous yesterday and him playing 2 games for England, as well as not hooking Kev for the second huge league game in a row after his hissy fit the last time.

The assumption has to be that he is carrying some sort of issue as right now he is moving through treacle. He was never Usain Bolt but he had the spark to buy himself a yard of space to pick the pass and right now he is completely unable to do so.

Major hamstring injuries that required 5 months out due to surgery and nearly 33 years old.

Thats a ripe combination to lose a yard of pace sadly and probably one you'll never get back in your 30s.

Shame because for me he's the most talented player in the world in his position but the human body is what it is and he's not getting younger. His brain will make him a brilliant player still in situations, but his physical peak has been and gone.

Obviously at some point his body won't do what the brain wants it to do, as with all sports people. Hopefully Kev has enough in the tank where he still has a good year or two left to still be effective.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.