17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s just see how he is, I highly doubt he’ll move. He’s got a very decent contract to 2025 after which I’m sure the club will look after him. His family seem well settled with kids in school.

ATM Alvarez is doing a very decent job and as long as Haaland stays, then Alvarez deserves a go.

Kevin has been our lynchpin for a few years, but like a solid Mercedes, eventually the parts begin to wear out. He has been brilliant for us, but this latest injury is beginning to make me wonder if he will ever be able to play as regularly and as well any more. I am not saying he is finished, but maybe now is a good time to plan for the time when he can’t continue at the level we got used to. I read the Saudi Arabians would offer him a contract and City would accept £50m next summer, but that is just the media gossip. Any thoughts?
From a purely business point of view anything we get from SA would be a bonus but sometimes I would like it if they stayed around and retired a blue and then joined the coaching staff lol perfect world eh :)

Of course, the thing that doesn't seem to happen much nowadays is players reducing their wage demands as they age and are on the downslope of their career, 400k+ is a lot to pay if we can't keep him fit and playing.

This is the reason Aguero was let go and in the end that was a very sad end, I'd rather he had remained a blue and then retired with full honours.

The time is approaching when we will have to be thinking about a replacement for him, unfortunately. He'll be 33 next summer. And these injuries he's been prone to in the last few seasons will take longer to recover from than it would have done even 2 or 3 years back. How many more seasons can we realistically expect to get from him at the level he's capable of ; 2, maybe (at the most)? I'd be surprised if there isn't some long term planning going on at the top of the club re his future, and any possible replacements.

The time is approaching when we will have to be thinking about a replacement for him, unfortunately. He'll be 33 next summer. And these injuries he's been prone to in the last few seasons will take longer to recover from than it would have done even 2 or 3 years back. How many more seasons can we realistically expect to get from him at the level he's capable of ; 2, maybe (at the most)? I'd be surprised if there isn't some long term planning going on at the top of the club re his future, and any possible replacements.
Putting a more positive spin on it, he's still 32 ;-)

And maybe the surgery is a final fix to something that's been bothering him for a long time and having recovered from the surgery, he'll be fit and healthy for another 4 or 5 years?

Putting a more positive spin on it, he's still 32 ;-)

And maybe the surgery is a final fix to something that's been bothering him for a long time and having recovered from the surgery, he'll be fit and healthy for another 4 or 5 years?

The thing with Kev is, he could easily play until he's 36 changing his role slightly and just being a pass and move "play it safe and keep the ball" midfielder. His legs might go slightly, he might lose energy, but he's technically so good he could easily play that. However, it's just not Kev. He wants to make things happen. He wants to drive forwards, destroy teams, carry the ball or play the ridiculous pass. I don't think it's in him to suddenly play a different role and change the way he plays. It's all or nothing with him and I hope he's got a good amount of time left with us, but I'd imagine he's got a couple of seasons left at best realistically. What a fucking player.

Looks like he really might go to Saudi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.