17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2023/24

Might be controversial but watching him towards the end of the season, it seemed to me that his hunger to win is going. Kdb said in an interview that even if we didn’t win a trophy, it’s still a successful season. Something along those lines anyway.

I think he will leave for the Saudi money and get the club a big fee. Big miss.

Wonderful player who just like Dave or Sergio deserve to do what they deem best. Not sure how we replace but we must at some point anyway.
He was out for five months, we seemed to do ok. Rodri was a bigger miss if you look purely at results.
That said, I would love him to stay, as on his day, he is still one of the best midfielders in the world.
If someone offers £80-£100 million for him, the club have a big decision to make. It might be the difference in keeping Bernie for another season or two but time will tell.

If he doesn't sign a new contract then City are going to suggest to Kev he should take the offer. We can't afford to let that amount of money walk for nothing next summer.

If he doesn't sign a new contract then City are going to suggest to Kev he should take the offer. We can't afford to let that amount of money walk for nothing next summer.
Wonderful player, one of our finest ever but let's not kid ourselves he is way past his peak and indeed looked a leggy and old player late in the season.

He is on a huge contract and if we could recoup a considerable fee for him this summer for me it has to be taken.

We need a fairly large rebuild, young hungry and talented players need to be brought it and for us to stay at the top of european/world club football.

Romance and the past can not play any part in the up and coming decisions to be made on KDB and several other of our senior players.

1 year of KDB is more important than money..

Who needs that money anyway, we have got Foden and he has established himself as KDB's successor for the next 10-12 years.

But players like KDB, Walker.. they have got experience and I bet we will push for Quadruple next season (judging by chairman's interview), so we need him, even if he leaves for free..

Let's say he is sold and we buy who... Eze or that kid Neves or I don't know, I mean these new players in the market right now are pieces of shit. 1 year with KDB and playing him important games and using his experience costs more.

Take Real Madrid's example. They sucked every bit of talent and resource out of their big players, rather than buying young talent. Kroos, Modric, Benzema, etc. Cause 20 minutes of Modric on the pitch can be more beneficial, than playing average talent 90 minutes, bought for 80-100m.

There were seasons in his prime where he was injured for long periods, and results didn’t fluctuate at all. Losing him now he’s aging is nothing to worry about - the only issue is we sold the best replacement for him in Cole Palmer, rather than allow him to go out on loan then come back ready.

De Bruyne has always been a sloppy, high intensity player, so won’t be able to evolve into a controlling midfield role when his legs go. False 9 with mobility and goals behind and either side of him was probably the only role to graduate into, but Haaland’s presence makes that a non-start so it’s best to move him on now.

There were seasons in his prime where he was injured for long periods, and results didn’t fluctuate at all. Losing him now he’s aging is nothing to worry about - the only issue is we sold the best replacement for him in Cole Palmer, rather than allow him to go out on loan then come back ready.

De Bruyne has always been a sloppy, high intensity player, so won’t be able to evolve into a controlling midfield role when his legs go. False 9 with mobility and goals behind and either side of him was probably the only role to graduate into, but Haaland’s presence makes that a non-start so it’s best to move him on now.
The best replacement for KDB is Foden. Both play RCM and need that position to fully utilize their talents: KDB to make crosses and Foden to cut inside and shoot.

Palmer is like Foden, needs that RCM position and that’s where Chelsea plays him.

If we choose between Foden and Palmer, Phil is the one, cause he is more universal and better player in overall.

That’s why Palmer was sold. We had KDB and Foden and there was no place left for him.

As for the KDB, he can still contribute a lot next 3-4 years playing as False9 or RCM in the current system, where LCM plays closer to Rodri (Gundo / Kova / Bernie) and RCM closer to Haaland as a second striker.

Playing one game per week, rotated a lot, used as an impact sub for last 15-20 minutes

Yep, he could be very useful, but it depends whether he is ready to accept that new role and not be our main guy and regular starter for all the games

Inter has similar approach, they use high-profile veteran players in that sense. Like.. they had Lautaro and Thurman as main players and Alexis / Arnautovic as their subs. Last year they had Dzeko.

These players are able to contribute more in last 15-20 minutes than average young players, so in short-term it has better effect. On the other side, young players grow each year and can become more valuable assets. It depends, but I remember Ferguson used Giggs and Scholes for a century like that and that’s how he grabbed a lot of points in the last minutes.

Last edited:
Many brilliant and legendary players have been replaced. KDB can be too. Regardless of where he’s likely going, he leaves City with his head held high.

He has been a truly wonderful player for us. A joy to watch. I consider myself privileged to have seen some of the things he's done. HIm and Erling against Arsenal in April 2023 was just staggering.
But, you know, there have been seasons when he's been out for huge chunks. The most spectacular one being 18-19, when we did our first treble (and one which, I never get tired of repeating, has never been done, before or since). This one, too, obviously. With Phil stepping up, I don't feel panicked about the prospect of Kev going, and wouldn't hold it against him for one second if he went to Saudi for a big, big payday. That's his business. Footballers are not indentured servants. He'll be bored, pretty sure of it, but for one or two seasons of boredom and a payday that'll mean he'll never have to work again, well, who wouldn't take it?
Would be over the moon if he stayed. He's past his best. But he's still capable of turning a game on its head. He's still got great things to do for a season or two more. They'd be wasted in Saudi. But it's his business, as I say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.