17 | Kevin De Bruyne - 2024/25

If he starts against Arsenal then we are managing him poorly. I assumed he would be used against Arsenal as he has historically played excellent against them, so the logical thing would have been to rest him v Inter and start Foden or Gundogan. We have options, so flogging him makes no sense.

I think for quite some time to come, maybe a couple of season, he'll be able to pull out the game that astonishes us. The killer pass, the explosive run from midfield, the curling shot from the edge of the box beyond any keeper's reach.
But it's a fair while since we've really depended on him. That is the honest-to-God truth. Gutted about him being injured, if he's out for Sunday. But the truth is now that we've got other options — particularly one called Philip Walter Foden. But not only.
Hope he gets back soon. Above all, he's just played two ninety-minute games for his country. I'm now certain that injuries are coming from him simply playing too many games. He can't do that any more. He has to understand that. So does Pep. So does Belgium.
Out of those three the killer pass 'n curling shot will always be with him. But he had an opportunity of an explosive run but younger Italian legs got the better of him. I hope both, if not all three, appear on Sunday if he's not been crocked!

Thing is. He's a passenger now in terms of being able to press effectively which would be fine if he was the only one. But Haaland doesn't (yet) have the same press intensity as the rest of the team so we're essentially missing 2 players in a key component to how we win the ball back. Inter had a field day yesterday down his side because of the gaps he left/leaves. And it'll be targeted by other teams I can guarantee it.

Pep knows he can't do that anymore hence moving him from an 8 to being a second forward with Haaland but if he does that, we need two sitting midfielders in the midfield IMO - Kovacic and Rodri.

Rodri was fucked last night in the first half but when Kev went off, his control on the game and positional sense went up a level in the second half which I don't think is a coincidence.

Kev's running off the ball and ability to make things happen out of nothing are second to none, though, which makes him borderline undroppable in games like Sunday when things are tight and need a moment of brilliance.

Tough call for Pep. Either way, I think he'll be upsetting somebody.

Thing is. He's a passenger now in terms of being able to press effectively which would be fine if he was the only one. But Haaland doesn't (yet) have the same press intensity as the rest of the team so we're essentially missing 2 players in a key component to how we win the ball back. Inter had a field day yesterday down his side because of the gaps he left/leaves. And it'll be targeted by other teams I can guarantee it.

Pep knows he can't do that anymore hence moving him from an 8 to being a second forward with Haaland but if he does that, we need two sitting midfielders in the midfield IMO - Kovacic and Rodri.

Rodri was fucked last night in the first half but when Kev went off, his control on the game and positional sense went up a level in the second half which I don't think is a coincidence.

Kev's running off the ball and ability to make things happen out of nothing are second to none, though, which makes him borderline undroppable in games like Sunday when things are tight and need a moment of brilliance.

Tough call for Pep. Either way, I think he'll be upsetting somebody.

Spot on. We need to decide how we want to play against Arsenal. I would imagine they come and sit in and look to counter or make the most of set pieces, so do we want to press them high and pin them in or do we want to be more explosive and aggressive and more direct?

De Bruyne can create magic and double up with Haaland but he is going to give them time on the ball and he might give it away on occasion too.

Spot on. We need to decide how we want to play against Arsenal. I would imagine they come and sit in and look to counter or make the most of set pieces, so do we want to press them high and pin them in or do we want to be more explosive and aggressive and more direct?

De Bruyne can create magic and double up with Haaland but he is going to give them time on the ball and he might give it away on occasion too.

It makes you realise just how much of a cheat code he was during the past few years when he could do everything. Absolutely ridiculous player.

It makes you realise just how much of a cheat code he was during the past few years when he could do everything. Absolutely ridiculous player.

For years there's been the argument between Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard but De Bruyne has completely settled it. He's a different level. The game against Palace last season was interesting because he took on this slightly deeper, more patient role in the 2nd half and I wondered whether we might see an evolution to his game to prolong his career.

I said before though, I think I'd rather 2 years of edge of your seat Kev playing at his limit than seeing him become more of a deep lying creative player. And I don't think he'd ever particularly want to play that role. He's always going to look for that impossible pass and even though it doesn't always come off, his success rate is unbelievable.

He didn't have a good game last night, I think he can still press and play flat out. The CL tends to be a bit more patient and chess-like against the better sides. Hopefully he's not injured and we either get 60 minutes of flat out Kev from the off or 30mins from the bench. But we're blessed with plenty of options this season.

For years there's been the argument between Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard but De Bruyne has completely settled it. He's a different level. The game against Palace last season was interesting because he took on this slightly deeper, more patient role in the 2nd half and I wondered whether we might see an evolution to his game to prolong his career.

I said before though, I think I'd rather 2 years of edge of your seat Kev playing at his limit than seeing him become more of a deep lying creative player. And I don't think he'd ever particularly want to play that role. He's always going to look for that impossible pass and even though it doesn't always come off, his success rate is unbelievable.

He didn't have a good game last night, I think he can still press and play flat out. The CL tends to be a bit more patient and chess-like against the better sides. Hopefully he's not injured and we either get 60 minutes of flat out Kev from the off or 30mins from the bench. But we're blessed with plenty of options this season.

I've always wondered if Pep would keep him deeper in midfield. A long time ago now but we did it during the second half of the away leg vs Monaco in 2016/17 and he seemed at home there too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.