18 | Stefan Ortega - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeGea can't play with his feet. Ortega can. Totally different kettle of fish.
He also can’t marshal the 6/18 yard box, is terrified of crosses and is generally lacking in most goalkeeping attributes bar his saves for the cameras he often makes.
Like I said to the poster who thinks he’s good because of said saves, most utd fans have wanted him replaced for at least 2 seasons.

The question deserves discussing though - does he make saves that Ederson doesn’t ?
No, They cannot play in goal simultaneously and each save and shot is unique. You can compare of course similar types of shot or save but at best your reply will be an opinion not a fact.

A lot of people aren't going to like this, but I really don't rate Ederson as a goalkeeper...

For the way we play - playing out from the back, and even for the occasional long ball up field to launch an attack - he is brilliant, and he's perfect for us, and I'm glad we've got him. But, as a goalkeeper, I don't think he is brilliant, and when Pep goes and we change the way we play, I think he will have to go too.

How many of those saves Ortega made last night would Ederson have conceded? We'd have drawn, or even lost, that game.

I'm not saying Ortega should be the new number one, but the commentator for Sky last night said "Should Ederson be worried about his place?" and the other commentator laughed and flatly went "No."

Not saying Ederson should be worried about his place, but I think he certainly has some real competition now - whereas our previous number 2 goalkeepers were never really going to threaten him.

Edit: Just read back a couple of pages and seen people writing similar things, so maybe not as controversial as I thought! Phew!
Not really controversial but imo not entirely accurate either. For example:
"when Pep goes and we change the way we play, I think he will have to go too", We don't know when or if Pep goes and why do you assume when he goes we change our system, when it is a model system for all our teams from kids upwards and is being copied by more and more clubs and national teams.
"How many of those saves Ortega made last night would Ederson have conceded? We'd have drawn, or even lost, that game." Wrong answer, it is speculative, no mortal being can foresee what would have happened just to try to validate their own opiniona. It is human nature to be be aware of competitors for their place no big deal if commentators to make a comment like that when a second choice player plays so well.

Eddie is a better sweeper so most of last nights chances would not have happened , you dont seem to understand him at all
Sorry, but there is no one scoring chance that would have not been created with Ederson as a GK. Also Ortega is an excellent sweeper and maybe even faster than Ederson. He had 2 or 3 actions where he calmly intercepted balls outside the box.

My question is, what does Ortega need to do to be a starter? Ederson is very regular in his level, and he very rarely makes a mistake. That's his main strength as a shot-stopper.

How can we know if Ortega's level is superior if we don't play him at all? Yesterday's performance was a 10/10, how can you tell a player go to the bench after that. If in the next cup game, he repeats a performance like that, then what? I would love to know if he can make the type of saves from yesterday on a regular basis.

My question is, what does Ortega need to do to be a starter? Ederson is very regular in his level, and he very rarely makes a mistake. That's his main strength as a shot-stopper.

How can we know if Ortega's level is superior if we don't play him at all? Yesterday's performance was a 10/10, how can you tell a player go to the bench after that. If in the next cup game, he repeats a performance like that, then what? I would love to know if he can make the type of saves from yesterday on a regular basis.
An Ederson injury, in all likelihood.

I'd rather he didn't have to

Simply put he needs Eddie to turn to shit and have a run of form that means he’s dropped.
As that’s not happened yet he will be well aware that his appearances are likely going to be limited to cup competitions. Otherwise, as @Alan Harper's Tash says, an injury.
It’s the same at pretty much every other club in the league.

Was really impressed with him last night. 2nd best keeper in the league with his feet. He just doesn't quite have Ederson's ability to hit 50 yard passes, but over 10-30 yards he was excellent.

Decision making and reactions were great too. Really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.