18 | Stefan Ortega - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did I attack Ederson? I want the best for City, that's all. I said this is the best game I've seen for a City GK in years, because that is true for me. If you think otherwise, please share the highlights of a game where Ederson or Steffen or Bravo or Cballero were better.

It's only one great game, and I said that. That's why I would like to see him play in the next 2-3 games, to make sure this was an anomaly and not his actual level, because if this is his actual level, then the best for City is for him to start.

Keylor Navas was also a late bloomer (not at 29, but at 25). And Ortega just like Navas had an amazing last season with a relegation team. After today he deserves an opportunity, and I don't see how that's an attack on Ederson.
It’s not like Ortega has been I hiding for his entire career, didn’t he have the best save percentage last year in the Bundesliga anyway?

Edit:

Yes he had the best save percentage and the highest outperformance on post shot expected goals last season (meaning he was the best shot stopper in the entire league):

D9E94943-1312-4403-991F-C84360563DB7.jpeg

That performance wasn’t a one off if we look at last season and he was 28 years old going into it.

And just like that, Edersons Match winning saves against Brighton and Leicester and a superb performance against Fulham to help negate the man defecit are erased from history for the handful of weirdos that want ederson out.

Ortega played very well tonight, in reality most of those saves were standard saves he just had more to do than usual, the one in the second half down to his right after gomez got skinned was magnificent though. I'm very happy with what I'm seeing from him so far, seems like a natural fit and a giant step up from steffen but anybody calling for him to start league games have lost their mind.
Fulham had two shots on target mate and scored one.

I’ve previously posted Ederson’s stats for this season, he’s conceded 1.7 more goals than he would be expected to concede based on post shot xG (ie based on the quality of shots he’s faced). Of course he’s made some good saves but he’s also conceded goals he wouldn’t be expected to. This has been the same for every one of the last 3-4 years. He’s a mid-ranking shot stopper but excels at City where he’s got great distribution and plays perfectly in our system and doesn’t face a huge amount of shots as a rule.

Having a great keeper knocking on his door can only help City as it either focuses Eddie to improve that aspect or gives us another option.

Fulham had two shots on target mate and scored one.

I’ve previously posted Ederson’s stats for this season, he’s conceded 1.7 more goals than he would be expected to concede based on post shot xG (ie based on the quality of shots he’s faced). Of course he’s made some good saves but he’s also conceded goals he wouldn’t be expected to. This has been the same for every one of the last 3-4 years. He’s a mid-ranking shot stopper but excels at City where he’s got great distribution and plays perfectly in our system and doesn’t face a huge amount of shots as a rule.

Having a great keeper knocking on his door can only help City as it either focuses Eddie to improve that aspect or gives us another option.
To be honest, it won’t make much difference. There’s only one game left before a long break. Ederson will play in that game.

Ortega will play in the 4th round of the Carabao Cup.

Then we see where we are after Xmas.

Never seen a City defence give up as many chances usually

Well we will never know. I do know that the only time we will see Ortega is in this competition unless Eddie is injured.
So what does that mean? That Eddie is the established starter? No shit. But it doesn't necessarily make him a better shot stopper. He's a world class goalie, especially in Pep's system, but it's not a crime to be a little realistic about him as a shot stopper. Settle down fella.

So what does that mean? That Eddie is the established starter? No shit. But it doesn't necessarily make him a better shot stopper. He's a world class goalie, especially in Pep's system, but it's not a crime to be a little realistic about him as a shot stopper. Settle down fella.
Haha! Settle down? I’m very much settled down. It means that a great game in a league cup game means fuck all in the grand scheme of things and we should be happy for him tonight. It also means that him being a great shot stopper doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a better keeper than Eddie.
I go back to my original point. Having a brilliant game tonight doesn’t mean we have to pick faults with his competition. Football has always been full of second choice keepers having a worldie in a cup competition only never to be seen again. Do you think Liverpools keeper will start the next game after saving 3 pens tonight?
I’m made up for him, but let’s not kid ourselves, he will only play in this competition. If he makes himself number one then good on him.

Where did I attack Ederson? I want the best for City, that's all. I said this is the best game I've seen for a City GK in years, because that is true for me. If you think otherwise, please share the highlights of a game where Ederson or Steffen or Bravo or Cballero were better.

It's only one great game, and I said that. That's why I would like to see him play in the next 2-3 games, to make sure this was an anomaly and not his actual level, because if this is his actual level, then the best for City is for him to start.

Keylor Navas was also a late bloomer (not at 29, but at 25). And Ortega just like Navas had an amazing last season with a relegation team. After today he deserves an opportunity, and I don't see how that's an attack on Ederson.
Why have you not seen as good a game by a City GK in the past 5 years. Could it be because when Ederson plays our team as a unit tries to keep opponents mostly in their own half so that attempts at goal are much less. Last night how we played was much more old style. Ortega had a top quality game,but why was he under such pressure. Have you ever noticed how opponents set themselves up as a team when Ederson plays, much more conservively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.